A 009 test layout.

Robatron86

Good evening good people,

So after bowing out of modelling for a little while, I have returned to it once again.

I had started a Gn15 layout, but this has since been abandoned due to the simple fact that a scale tree in Gn15 works out at 4ft tall! I wanted several on the layout and this seemed difficult to achieve realistically.

I have moved to 009 instead. Here a few shots of where I am at.

The baseboard is 52.5cm by 30.5cm. These dimensions have been chosen due to a challenge by a work colleague. These are the dimensions of one of the cardboard boxes we use at work.

I'm not actually building it inside the box, the baseboard is a conventionally built wooden job, but sticking to these dimensions.

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

These are 3D printed kits I found on eBay. The loco is running on the Kato 13 chassis. I have a second van to build.

While on holiday in Florida, I found some good bargains on N gauge locomotives. I will be using the chassis from these.

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

This is the N gauge diesel now, using an A1 models brass kit.

IMG_20180925_011151.jpg

The actual layout track plan. I ran out of 009 track and butchered some N gauge set track to finish it off.

IMG_20180825_214803.jpg

I actually laid the track on the board first, then cut the size, and built a proper frame for it. I know, all the wrong way round.

• Like 3

This is how it looks now.

DSC_0445.jpg

I wanted to put a special vehicle on my layout, a vehicle that means a lot to me personally.

The first car I drove after passing my test was a 1979 Morris Marina 1.3 Saloon in metallic Denim Blue with a black vinyl roof. Oxford diecast offer a Mk3 Marina in OO, so I had to buy it. Unfortunately, it was only available as a Heathrow Fire Service car. After a repaint, and a bit of modification, here it is.

IMG_20181003_003452.jpg

And the original.

Troy.jpg

• Like 5

The first car I drove after passing my test was a 1979 Morris Marina 1.3 Saloon in metallic Denim Blue with a black vinyl roof. Oxford diecast offer a Mk3 Marina in OO, so I had to buy it.

My first car was a 1954 Hillman Californian, a coupe version of the MkVIII Phase B Hillman Minx convertible, cream with a black roof reg 552 CMP.  I haven't (so far) come across a model of that.  I have no photos of it but here's a publicity photo of the original MkVIII.  Mine didn't have white wall tyres, though, nor did the Phase B have trafficators.  It had flashing indicators (operated by a lever switch on the steering wheel hub) incorporated into the slightly larger front side lights and the rear stop lights..

post-7431-0-20430300-1539984098_thumb.jpg

Edited by Piskey
  • Like 2

There's one in the John Day Models range, SRV93. One-piece body.

Ah, so there is!  Thanks.  Unfortunately it isn't presently available, but I can be patient!  I did once see a "Hillman MkVIII Californian" on Amazon USA but it wasn't a Californian, it was the convertible MkVIII Minx.  I'd better move on now as this doesn't really have anything to do with 009 layouts!

Edited by Piskey

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to talk about cars, I love old cars.

So a progress update.

I installed a fence and painted it. It will be weathered in due course. I put hardstanding inside the barn, completed most of the ground cover in that area, and started to add little details here and there. Still waiting on some trees to arrive to hide the other side of the oval.

IMG_20181031_225748.jpg

• Like 5