Roco cease TT scale production

Taigatrommel

Bad news from Modellbahnshop Sebnitz... Roco are dropping TT

(Auto translated) "As the company Modellisenbahn München GmbH announced on Friday, Friday, 05.10.2018, this will no longer offer TT models under the brand Roco. All announced projects (for example 3-axle Rekowagen) will not be delivered! The TT assortment disappears except for the turntable (article number: 47-35900 & 47-35901) from the assortment of the Roco brand. Not only for us, this message was very surprising and has caused astonishment. Likewise, there has been no official written notice for the retailer by the supplier so far. Only a short verbal communication due to our demand during the three days of the fair in Leipzig."

I know continental TT is a niche interest here in the UK and Roco are far from the biggest player in that market, but it does sadden me.  Some of their models (significantly the BR132/232) are not duplicated by other brands.  In the past, certain products made by Roco were sold branded as Tillig, so I have my fingers cautiously crossed.

Modellisenbahn München are quite ruthlessly streamling, eg Fleischmann only producing N now.  Unfortunately it's a reflection of their financial situation and a competetive market - German models now generally seem better value than in the past.

Roco are dropping TT

Not surprised, TT wasn't really their thing, a distraction with the market tough enough as it is and their range needed investment in new models.

Piko on the other hand have released a lot of new models over the past 10 years and have expanded their TT range from almost a standing start.

JATT reappeared under the Tillig banner, so could possibly Roco models appear under Tillig or Piko?

• RMweb Premium

In all the gnashing of teeth about the state of the British model market there often seems to be an assumption that things are rosy on the other side of the channel. Roco/Fleischmann have been struggling for years, not only financially but the days when Roco were the gold standard by which others were benchmarked have long gone IMO. Piko have been growing very impressively and as with our market newer entrants are snapping at the heels of the more established players.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing new about dumping TT. Many will recall Tri-ang doing so many decades back - much to the ire of Peco, who had invested in a line of flexible track etc for the scale. Peco now make some handy 12 mm track and points in narrow-gauge form, of course.