QXA ADB 975290 - Test Car 6

donny rovers

• RMweb Premium

In the summer of 1976 it was marhsalled in the following test formation to which the prototype HST power cars were allocated.  The trails analysing the impact of high speed running on the P8 tyre profile ran from at least early June to mid-August 1976.  The formation could be regularly observed running a long the WR main line at the time.

43001+975290+13438+12140+42014+42010+42011+42020+43000

Edited by Commoner
  • Like 1

The key point is in the name - it was a test car, and hence "owned" by the Mechanical & Electrical Engineering department - as distinct to a Lab Coach which belonged to BR Research. Correct, arguably the best-known use was for acceptance testing of new vehicles. I spent a lot of time in it on the Class 60 project. Essentially, the loco would be instrumented to the nth degree, and then the cabling brought back to racks of instruments in the vehicle. This would only be done for type approval of the first of each type - not for each individual loco.

• Like 1

The key point is in the name - it was a test car, and hence "owned" by the Mechanical & Electrical Engineering department - as distinct to a Lab Coach which belonged to BR Research. Correct, arguably the best-known use was for acceptance testing of new vehicles. I spent a lot of time in it on the Class 60 project. Essentially, the loco would be instrumented to the nth degree, and then the cabling brought back to racks of instruments in the vehicle. This would only be done for type approval of the first of each type - not for each individual loco.

Although 60001 & 60002 both top and tailed Test Coach 6 from Derby to Scotland with the Redland cement train, where both 60's and test coach made it as far north as Inverness TMD from pictures which I have come across online.