Roco sound 68000

bluedepot

hi everyone

i have roco 68041 and it's a lovely model.

the sound isn't great though compared to newer models. I don't know if it's the roco sound file or the speaker or what really. the sound quality isn't up to much and there are very few functions.

has anyone tried a different sound decoder or speaker? how easy is it to change over?

Tim

Hello Tim,

I've done a spot of Googling for you as I remember this model. You are correct, it is a very lovely model.

However, I suspect that it has an early sound decoder fitted, certainly an 8 pin version and possibly an ESU 2 or even an ESU 1.

If you wish to change it, you'd be best with an ESU 4 or at least, a 3.5 decoder.

I suggest that unless you have access to a Loksound Programmer (to load the correct sounds) you may be best searching through various French retailers for an appropriately sound fitted decoder. Usually, such modern decoders require an (I think!) 8-ohm speaker whereas the old decoders used 100-ohm speakers - other than that, it just a case of selecting the correct size for easiest replacement.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but if I'm right, it is not a cheap proposition. Or just leave this one as is, perhaps?? I'm afraid that's what I'd do.

Best of luck,

John.

hi john,

thanks for your fast reply.

i think it will be too expensive at the moment to upgrade.  i am not very technical so i don't think i will try to upgrade it myself.

compared to my esu class 66 and ree models 67300 the sound just doesn't seem very good.  i suppose this roco model is from the early days of dcc sound though and i shouldn't expect too much.

at least it runs nice and looks nice and the lights work anyway!

many thanks

tim

• 3 weeks later...

Have fond memories of chasing the 68000’s on the Friday and Sunday passenger working out of St Lazare in pairs with 673xx’s.

Anyway looking on the ESU website I think you have a V3 decoder in the model, ESU have updated this project for a V4 decoder which has a bit more functionality I can’t comment on the accuracy of the sound though.

I have a lokprogrammer and would be happy to reflash the chip for you, or somewhere like Costal DCC would do it if you brought a blank chip from them.

I have a couple of models with early Roco sound and it is a bit basic but I’ve since reflashed the sounds.

DCC sound is a very slippery slope....

Neil