Chippenham and surrounding Wiltshire lines - A long term project in OO to watch model trains run by

Bluemonkey presents....

Finally the frame work is complete, now for the boards and a clean up. I know I have over engineered the framework but everything has to be robust as this is a dual purpose space and the legs need to be able to take a little abuse from visitors especially when lofting out and moving around cages and fish tanks. As mentioned before the flooring has been reinforced and somewhat leveled as well. 

post-18130-0-33647800-1548680123.jpg post-18130-0-77498800-1548680129.jpg post-18130-0-15480000-1548680144.jpg post-18130-0-28498800-1548680151.jpg

Even though it has taken me much longer than hoped it certainly has been well worth it and is a very nice space to use for hobbying and storage. Really looking forward to being able to make a considered start on the track laying but one step at a time.

Pictures do not really show the structure in a good light, especially with the mess around the floor but it is a very decent base to work from.

Edited by No46
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Matt,

Nice job! I’m going to push the follow thread button thingy...

We are a bit busy preparing one of the GMRC layouts at Fawley as a show layout and looking after 12”:1’ scale trains as well as a whole heap of other life related stuff so I haven’t be able to post on RMWEB much recently but I will enjoy seeing this one progress! I’ll commemt when I can.

All the best,

Castle

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Matt, just catching up with this. I can see you're going to be using a good deal of that underlay :D

Yes Sir I sure am. Still researching thought I had decided but had not seen your reply now exploring another route.

On 28/01/2019 at 16:11, Castle said:

Hi Matt,

Nice job! I’m going to push the follow thread button thingy...

We are a bit busy preparing one of the GMRC layouts at Fawley as a show layout and looking after 12”:1’ scale trains as well as a whole heap of other life related stuff so I haven’t be able to post on RMWEB much recently but I will enjoy seeing this one progress! I’ll commemt when I can.

All the best,

Castle

Thank you, looking forward to your input. I may have a little surprise for you in the distant future of this layout................keep watching!

All framework has now been sanded and the entire space has been cleaned, phew what a mess! Just need to get the boards cut to fit and decide on the covering to use if any prior to track laying.

Incidentally; all the frames are non-standard sizing as I have seemingly designed and built everything back-to-front. I should have looked at my total space and designed framework and boards to fit this to the standard dimensions as purchased boards would allow. Then fit my chosen track plan into that space, compromising where necessary rather than deciding on the track plan and building to suit this.

Would have been a lot quicker and easier with out the need to carefully think about how to cut timber and boards to reduce waste and maximise usable area.  

Well this is the one and only layout I have planned so hopefully this will help someone else in the future when they are planning a layout build.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I'd better post so the star appears on you thread it will save me missing anything I will at some stage sort these new things out on here to make life easier.

I was lucky a few years ago I got a job off the local council to put up Neighbourhood Watch signs, I had to wrap the lamp post with self adhesive foam first them clamp the sign on with steel strapping, there were many off cuts of the foam left over enough to do over 60 yards of track it saved me buy it 

Bob

• Like 1

On 05/02/2019 at 15:12, 81C said:

I had to wrap the lamp post with self adhesive foam first them clamp the sign on with steel strapping, there were many off cuts of the foam left over enough to do over 60 yards of track it saved me buy it 

Hi 81C, thank you. Would be really good to hear your opinion about the use of the foam. Any good? What the running like for the locos? etc Thank you for your input anything and everything is appreciated here.

I am still confuddled about what to use. I have used cork in the past but am tempted with the potential for acoustic reduction qualities of the foam but how does this take painting? So many questions!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt the loco's run fine on it and there is room for adjustment prior to ballasting I used paper thin Plasticard for any packing and just enough pins to hold the track in place do check the

track for flat joints and the points are not bowed then after ballasting and when you have cleaned up just to make sure nothing has moved and check all the joints and points again.

I think the only thing I could mention about the foam which was a bit wider than the jolly old peco track was I cut it back tight to the sleepers with a scalpel to give the ballast a tidier shoulder,

the foam soaks up the adhesive but it did help spraying with track colour paint both the track and foam prior to ballasting it sealed the foam, as for noise it's quieter than cork till you put the

ballast down.  

Edited by 81C
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent many an hour thinking, rethinking on  the subject of baseboard covering ....or not. Made a decision then some more (very helpful) information was gained so decided to re-evaluate once again and came up with another decision but a final one!

I will not bore you all with the thought process and decision making. The short of it is why do I want/need to top the boards anyway? To me it comes down to the transmission of sound through the boards, increasing the volume as well as cause a lot of disruption in rooms below. So a very quick test with some wagons and a full length straight run proved I needed to try something at least. I have opted for high density foam used for acoustic flooring underlay. Fingers crossed and eyes tightly shut.

I have also been exploring the need for a larger shed scene 'off stage'. Again I want to use a real location but only for inspiration this time. So basing loosely on part of the track diagram and building positions but not actual buildings so I can use modeler's licence and have some freelance fun one side whilst being completely controlled and regimented the other side. Here's a little snippet of what track diagram I intend on using and keeping relatively local to my chosen location;

img119.jpg.04b5533532f76ba8c71d460efb05486a.jpg

I am positive this will be very familiar to most.

A big thank you to everyone for their suggestions, help and input regarding the underlay thingy it really has taken me about 8 weeks to make a calculated decision on this one, especially as this is a one time build I must get all the major structural things right first time. :drinks: 

Things will take a much longer time on some aspects as I am not skilled in a lot of these areas or have knowledge of so I am having to teach myself a lot of new tricks and skills. This is probably the best thing about the hobby and means that everyone can gain something from it no matter what previous knowledge or skills set they bring. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I am there. I now have a decent foundation to start modelling. Well I need to add surrounding back for distant backscene and to board the central chimney stack (not shown);

DSCF9218.JPG.6222ea10e00cc3a4a47cf06ff1bafa80.JPGDSCF9216.JPG.53bb7ee97ac67e25a5aef2ef5432a447.JPG

The need for 'The town Arches' to be construct is high to ensure a full roundy roundy. Turn table has already been positioned, cut and inserted. Apologies for the pictures I don't seem to be able to get decent angles.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

It has been some time now but the boards are sanded and any lifts have been secured. The rolls of foam have arrived as too has spring. That along with the beast from the west have been a distraction from any further physical progress. I will need to get hold of something suitable for the back-scene and fix this to the boards before laying any of the foam. 

The fight with the beast from the west has stalled as I would like a pair of brass whistles rather than the whitemetal metal ones supplied and appropriate fire irons. My local show is just two weeks away and they have excellent trade support so will wait and see what I can get. Hopefully this will provide me with the opportunity to complete it. It has taught me something at least and that is to stick with 4mm/OO, much more fun in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As previously mentioned the beast from the West has been a baseboard build stall but she is looking rather nice, if I do say so myself. Shame the rivet detailing on the lamp brackets and fireirons hooks do not show up well. Pictures are really for me to see if anything missed or is wonky but nice to see a 'naked' build before painting. The cab, roof, boiler and footplate are all separate from each other and only placed for the picture. This is to allowing easier painting and less masking. The back head is not attached as this has been put together and painted separately so not to over spray it when it comes to the body.

The build has been challenging as I am unversed in many areas of locomotives so again a lot of research (unnecessary for most) has gone into what is what and where does it go etc. I have a couple of detailing parts to add to the tank and the footplate but in essence she is ready for priming and the paint shop. Having made the sprung buffers separately (from parts not my own hand) they too need to be taken apart and the buffer body attached to the beam before priming etc.

Chassis obviously needs completing but that is in hand, this one had no instructions so making it up as I go along. A tried and tested method of working for me along with plenty of resource to back up. Hopefully she will become a lovely model although I do not have nor the intention to have any use for O gauge stock, just a nice model - potentially for sale in the future.

DSCF9300.JPG

DSCF9301.JPG

DSCF9299.JPG

Edit: Photos of your own work are great instantly I see I have forgotten to add the rivets detailing to the fireiron hooks! :excl::jester::excl:  Muppet! Will be corrected prior to priming.

Edited by No46
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, that looks like an excellent build. A proper beast :)

Sadly the lack of rivets on the fire iron hooks completely ruins the model. :jester:

Only joking, I think that's a case of "only the builder notices".

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mikkel appreciate it. I'll see what it looks like when the tools arrive. They should really hide any missing rivets but annoying as I was minded to included them. Maybe on some OO models to come, lol, or maybe not. It was only because it will be a cased display model for myself, at least for the immediate future. I see you are back on your your stables, fantastic modelling and research as always. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly not much time for modelling recently what spring springing plenty of outside things that can not wait.

On a very positive note work has been relentless and full on ;), explanation to follow..................................................

Edit: Reasoning:  DSCF9319.JPG.bcb38cd1cc585ca8712d701db9f29bc1.JPGDSCF9320.JPG.dee2c2438fe37e898c6ceec2a00d9d77.JPG

When times are slow get out the kits!!!! Plus a little bit more on the beast.

Edited by No46
Reasoning
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

It has been some time since the layout got some attention. Having concluded the slatted wagon saga I found the motivation to address the 'sky' backing and bare baseboards. These have been topped with the foam sound deadening layer, after much debating and researching. It took a little longer than hoped but has a nice finish and just tapping the boards for a noise test seems to be the right option. 

DSCF9366.JPG.c2bafc270ae73ce1d28391e0235b4b04.JPG

So let track laying commence!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Matt, that looks nice and smooth. What foam material did you end up using?

Hi Mikkel. Thanks, yes pretty smooth just have a couple of joins that I'm flattening out with heavy boards. Thank you for your advice. I went for 3mm acoustic neoprene type flooring underlay, self adhesive. EBay deal a while ago on a big roll. Looked like old shop stock but has done the trick. I can send you the company name if you like, the original listing and picture have gone as over 6mth ago I purchased it. I have checked there items and they do not have any at this moment in time but may relist etc. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt. 

Loving the baseboards mate you've done a proper job on them and the underlay looks very nice as well. I went with that green board they sell as laminate flooring underlay. It's very unstable as it comes but if you seal it both sides with 50/50 water/PVA it works a treat. I would have gone with the neoprene stuff but cost was an issue and I had the green stuff in stock. It has very good sound deadening properties. 

Regards Lez.Z.   

• Thanks 1

Neoprene is a great choice.  Iain Rice recommended it many years ago and I used it on my layout.  The lack of noise through the baseboard is wonderful and it is in great shape after 11 years of use.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. It has taken me longer than I wanted but very happy with the end result. Cost was a major factor in the decision but I came across an end of line deal around January (of someone's error). Just letting it settle now for a while as I have learnt from the RMWeb community it is better to take time and get things right than rush ahead and then have to change them later or worse start again. Besides I have already had some boards that I built many years ago and became unhappy with them and started a fresh, this one although I do consider this my first real boat out build and expect it to be my only one as well. Hopefully track bed and track laying will commence in the next week or two although I do have a little paint job to complete and the beast needs completing as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh and by the way Matt. There is no such thing as over engineered baseboards. You can't skimp on baseboards especially if you want them to last for a long long time.

Regards Lez.Z.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2019 at 19:33, No46 said:

Hi Mikkel. Thanks, yes pretty smooth just have a couple of joins that I'm flattening out with heavy boards. Thank you for your advice. I went for 3mm acoustic neoprene type flooring underlay, self adhesive. EBay deal a while ago on a big roll. Looked like old shop stock but has done the trick. I can send you the company name if you like, the original listing and picture have gone as over 6mth ago I purchased it. I have checked there items and they do not have any at this moment in time but may relist etc. 

Many thanks for the info Matt. I have enough neoprene for the time being I think. It turns out that C+L do still have it in stock.

With the bank holiday and the exceptional heat track laying commenced. I appreciate that it must seems madness to start laying track or frankly doing anything in a loft in this weather but I needed to ensure I would not fall foul to any rail expansion problems in the future.

Due to the decision to add an extra shed area on the opposite side I found myself a number of points/turnouts, what ever your pleasure, short. S the following morning off I popped to my closest model railway item shop (now a good 20-30 minutes drive away due to others closing) and to my surprise  shock not open on the Saturday morning even though the website and door advert clear shows open Saturdays 10AM.  Another gent was there also waiting for the shop to open. From our conversation whilst waiting it turns out this shop owner has form. It appears he has a tendency for not opening or turning up very late to open up! Seriously all I wanted to do was to support my local (ish) shop with off the shelf purchases and totally let down. If you are not going to open as you want to enjoy the bank holiday weekend (like many others and myself) just add the banner to the website or at least a note on the door! So instead of finalising track laying I ended up ringing around the county trying to find a shop that stocked Peco points 2x right hand curve 2x left hand curve and 4x short right hand straight. I drew a blank!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am all for supporting my local shop/s even though it would have cost me probably, in total, an extra £20 but I could have the items that day now I am forced to either order said items through my next closest shop (80 mile round trip) or order online and delivered to my door saving me time, driving costs/stress, and money per item (including P&P). It is sadly a 'no brainer' so after wasting a morning driving around and chasing track items I will have to wait for the Postie to bring them to me and hope the temperatures hold albeit a little cooler maybe :)

So the track plan is now on the table, so to speak, and I am glad I took a paper map of the frame work prior to putting the baseboards down so the positioning of points can be made confidently without fouling on the cross braces regarding the placement of underboard point motors.

I am now debating whether or not having point motors as the layout is for me and not for exhibiting. It wont really be a layout for shunting although the yard and shed areas could allow this. I will be just running and enjoying watching a mixture of locomotives and rolling stock that I build or are rtr within scenes heavily based on real locations researched and built by myself. Do I really need these added complications and things to go wrong/need replacing or is setting the route by hand just as effective and fun? Especially as once set will be sat back watching or building things whilst running. Maybe in the time and age when everything is computer controlled, digitally operated going back to basics in some areas can be just as rewarding? The layout is not huge and has no central obstacles, for now at least, so switching points at one end then the other is no real like it can be for some of the layouts we see and would give an opportunity to view the entire scene, could be some debris on the layout of a slight derailment which could lead to problems with the route.

• Friendly/supportive 2

So rather than sulking I decided to use the heat to my advantage and get some spray painting and airbrushing done. The Beast from the West got her detailing parts sprayed and the bullion van saw some airbrush action.

The bullion van was my first ever brass kit that I built and is currently receiving it's third livery as I was never happy with the previous two finishes. Will now require detailing parts as I have broken these with the constant paint removing and reapplying.

• Like 1