Poundland grey primer

• RMweb Gold

Over on the Bargain Hunters thread there's discussion of Poundland grey primer. As I was close to Carmarthen Poundland yesterday I'd thought I'd give it a try.

I hadn't noticed the OP said there was a choice of satin and matt so just picked up this one with the dark grey cap which turned out to be satin (though that mistake is easily remedied).   Alhtough the cap is dark grey, the colour is much lighter, in fact quite a good representation of ex-works IMHO.

In this pic you can see the can, a Hornby Railroad Mk1, and 2 Ian Kirk Gresley compartment coaches which I bought 2nd hand.  They had both been finished in a mid grey something between the 2 colours you see here, but both in effect had the same undercoat for this trial.  The darker roof is Railmatch roof dirt from a spray and the light one is Poundland grey primer which is much lighter than the cap.   It certainly sprayed ok and gave good coverage and if you want this colour or want this as a primer then it's ok but it's nothing like the cap colour.

I also found it very pungent.  Be sure to spray outside or be very confident in your spraybooth/mask to absorb strong odours quickly.

post-11293-0-74651300-1539706466_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I’m glad someone else got some good use out of it and not just me! My results are similar to yours, certainly lighter but a fair representation all the same. It’ll certainly make a good starting point for covering in soot and crud, as I intend to do eventually.

• RMweb Gold

They also do a white primer, the brand on the cans vary from month to month in our local shop and the greyness seems to vary as well, still useful as an alternative to the very good Halfords own brand grey primer.

Do they do a  black version too ?