USP 5000C - new kit from Clockwork Ideas

Gt.Shefford

I am pleased to announce that my second kit has progressed to a point where I can now release some official information.

For my second kit I have chosen the distinctive and ungainly USP 5000C ballast regulator.

post-3114-0-25377900-1539708908.jpg

post-3114-0-09511500-1539708929.jpg

post-3114-0-94731600-1539708950.jpg

Work is progressing steadily, and I am planning to have the first test-built model ready for Warley at the end of November.

At this time, I am unable to confirm the kits price, but I am hoping it will be around £100/£120.

Jonathan

post-3114-0-25377900-1539708908.jpg

post-3114-0-09511500-1539708929.jpg

post-3114-0-94731600-1539708950.jpg

Edited by Gt.Shefford
  • Like 7

Jonathan has offered, if it is finished, to let it have a run at some point on Brighton East during Warley. So you may be able to see it run as well.

We are exhibiting Eskmuir, 26ft of 00 at Warley so if it is finished and fancies a trundle down a Scottish branch line, we’d be delighted to see it.

Brighton to Brechin would take rather a while in real life!!

• RMweb Premium

Wow, superb choice. Just the sort of thing I’ve been wanting produced for years (if you could just slip an 07 series tamper whilst your at it!).

What sort of timeframe is the version modelled? My layouts mid 80s and at first glance it looks right. If it is I will be ordering at least 1.

Wow, superb choice. Just the sort of thing I’ve been wanting produced for years (if you could just slip an 07 series tamper whilst your at it!).

What sort of timeframe is the version modelled? My layouts mid 80s and at first glance it looks right. If it is I will be ordering at least 1.

you should be fine http://www.ontrackplant.com/search?k=usp5000c&fs=1  https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ballastregulators

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Just had a look at ontrackplant, and if would be fairly straightforward to modify the cab to suit the earlier variant - possibly do them as a set of 3d prints. Likewise in engine bay would be do-able, again as a 3d print. I'll have a look and at my reference photos to see exactly what modifications would be needed to produce the earlier variants.

Regarding the 08-16 kits its my intention to re-do all the castings, replacing the resin parts with white metal versions and look at simplifying some aspects of the chassis to enable it to be supplied as a 1 piece casting. This is a task which I hope to begin early next year, with a view to bringing the kit back to market.

Jonathan 

• Like 1

Just had a look at ontrackplant, and if would be fairly straightforward to modify the cab to suit the earlier variant - possibly do them as a set of 3d prints. Likewise in engine bay would be do-able, again as a 3d print. I'll have a look and at my reference photos to see exactly what modifications would be needed to produce the earlier variants.

Regarding the 08-16 kits its my intention to re-do all the castings, replacing the resin parts with white metal versions and look at simplifying some aspects of the chassis to enable it to be supplied as a 1 piece casting. This is a task which I hope to begin early next year, with a view to bringing the kit back to market.

Jonathan

Brilliant news on both this kit and the 08-16. The fact that the 08-16 kit is rarer than hens teeth to get a hold of at this stage shows that there is a demand for high quality OTP kits and models.

We are exhibiting Eskmuir, 26ft of 00 at Warley so if it is finished and fancies a trundle down a Scottish branch line, we’d be delighted to see it.

Brighton to Brechin would take rather a while in real life!!

Especially at 45MPH

Early 1980's to present.

77327 Currently with Colas in their livery, unsure how many others are still going in UK.

I believe there are only 4 left in the UK. Colas has 2, Balfour has 1 - currently mothballed, and the KESR owns 1

Jonathan

Probably last in the world (77325 in Australia as well) as they were built to UK spec's.

Unsure if any more were exported, ex Jarvis machines.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update that’s good to hear - any piccies anyone??

Yes it was on my Brighton East layout all Sunday. Too busy to take a photo though, hopefully Jonathan did along with a LOT of other people.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2018 at 17:27, kipford said:

Yes it was on my Brighton East layout all Sunday. Too busy to take a photo though, hopefully Jonathan did along with a LOT of other people.

This?

enlargement.jpg.641df635f119efc1f9bc3be18b8f5996.jpg

Bit grainy as it is blown up from part of a frame.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Completed the test build yesterday evening with the addition of the handrails.(the kit includes a bending jig)

post-3114-0-24862700-1544381921.jpg

post-3114-0-89996400-1544381945.jpg

I have discovered a few errors on one of the etches which will be corrected in the production version - a couple of half etch fold lines on the wrong side, easily corrected thankfully. 

I am hoping to have some news about the liveries/transfers soon.

Jonathan

• Like 1