The London Festival of railway Modelling

BRMExhibitions

Enjoyable show, lots of traders and some lovely layouts, lymebrook yard being my favourite. Picked one or two... Okay maybe six kits from Severn models, most helpful and could have probably spent more, hopefully the card payment reliability improves my man :) Also picked up my first sound item a chip and speaker for an n class in n gauge, gonna be a bit nervous fitting it but hey nothing ventured nothing gained!

A note though the amount of bloddy rucksakes, so people really need such big ones for a model show, anyway back packs aside a very enjoyable few hours at ally pally :)

All the best

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Yeah people moan about Warley but there appears to have been a rush on these square box ones, it’s like a pizza delivery rider convention ;) 

Very good, good layouts and the monster Hornby Dublo was superb, took me back to getting all Dads out on the carpet 40 years ago! :) 

Banner wars was disappointing, I thought we were going to get big flashing Neon ones and moving screens :laugh_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well worth the trip and nice chats with a couple on here. Plenty of food and places to sit down, travel was dead easy, tube and trains were busy from the March but not packed so plenty of seats. Shuttle bus was packed but efficient and not on it for long. 

Great show, spent plenty and thoroughly relaxing day out thank you to all :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomsontour said:

A note though the amount of bloddy rucksakes, so people really need such big ones for a model show, anyway back packs aside a very enjoyable few hours at ally pally :)

All the best

Matt

And some now have the wheelie versions, towing them along behind them.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, EmporiaSub said:

And some now have the wheelie versions, towing them along behind them.....

I think you need to be more tolerant. These people are probably homeless and carry all their worldly goods around with them.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tomsontour said:

Unfortunately it's the owners of said backpacks that are the problem as they’re entirely oblivious when they hit you with them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wandered round today and enjoyed the show. Favorites that stood out were

- Johnstown Rd I thought was exceptional and I hadn't seen it in this version with the terminus

- Oldshaw now it has a fiddle yard at both ends.

- Burntisland 1883

- Hornby 3rail, all 80 ft of it.

I also stopped off and had a chat with Clive @ Pig Lane which included a small world moment as it turns out he used to work with my Uncle in the 90's. I then got challenged to get up to DEMU19 in Swaldicote as one of the Oldshaw operators also makes the journey from Reading each year, apparently by train with his layout. We shall see.

As for the old dude dragging a bag large enough for me to go on holiday for a couple of weeks, I did wonder if he filled it would he even be able to move it and just what was he planning to buy? I can only think he must have been modelling in the same scale as St Petroc.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

Unfortunately it's the owners of said backpacks that are the problem as they’re entirely oblivious when they hit you with them!

A new sport of tagging their bags with pink fluffy stuff ;) shear the other half’s slippers and make up some decorations :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

This is the notice which I have been using at Trainwest for the last ten years.

Please do not wear backpacks or rucksacks in the exhibition hall.

They should be carried by hand or left at reception.

There is no charge for leaving bags with the reception staff.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Endacott said:

This is the notice which I have been using at Trainwest for the last ten years.

Please do not wear backpacks or rucksacks in the exhibition hall.

They should be carried by hand or left at reception.

There is no charge for leaving bags with the reception staff.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager

That sounds eminently sensible Geoff but, so far as I can tell,  there's no kind of cloakroom facility at A.P.  The only problem I encountered with a rucksack wearer today was in one of the food queues and it was a small rucksack so a mild annoyance rather than anything too serious. I didn't get there till about 11.00 though so maybe it was worse in the initial rush.

Of all the major exhibitions, which show has the largest number of layouts? I enjoyed visiting today, but felt the balance wasn't quite right between number of layouts v number of stalls selling goods. How does Warley compare for number of layouts? Or Peterborough?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Seems about the same to me. I guess you need a heavy trade presence to balance the books at these premier venues due to what they charge. 

The free bus was great but I bet it adds a fair bit to the costs. 

23 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

There is a cloakroom in the Palm Court. However if you needed to get back out to it during the show, you would need to have your hand stamped, and it is quite a long walk from the Main Hall.

It takes about 2 mins to walk from main hall to palm court.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

Of all the major exhibitions, which show has the largest number of layouts? I enjoyed visiting today, but felt the balance wasn't quite right between number of layouts v number of stalls selling goods. How does Warley compare for number of layouts? Or Peterborough?

There are always at least 40 layouts at Ally Pally. 

30 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

Warley generally has about 90 layouts and I generally just about get around it in a day (9:15-18:00). Ally Pally has slightly less than half that (for quite a bit more than half the  admission fee) and I left about 3pm having arrived shortly after 10am.

Not knocking AP, but on a cost/layout basis Warley is the winner for me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Visited yesterday with a good friend of mine and had a great time.  Not as crowded as the last time I was there and not too much of the backpack menace.

0851A100-0D94-4978-B347-5F4011B61A18.jpeg.fd7f4cedb648980c24cf635fe303fa24.jpeg

8ED81988-DF99-4F0B-B374-7A952747C376.jpeg.f12648ef676244e346a20068af041860.jpeg

04F839C1-E037-4E4E-9ABE-D7BB312B3577.jpeg.9da9a4364d8b8cebf3bc53c3e5f02ead.jpeg

D5E8A6C0-D0FA-4105-B19C-DE3D4493374F.jpeg.4ca07975abfe3a6bfd4670cef2376123.jpeg

4CADA509-0413-466C-BC44-84F7C5491BCB.jpeg.c3ba18791bf47c373846bb07d8c87921.jpeg

7961A81A-8069-4B6C-9F68-6B1564706F91.jpeg.eccda94af64e55ca85278c0c9ecd1599.jpeg

B6BCFD6E-A4EA-442B-B5DA-5F224DA9D5AE.jpeg.cedc8ead0272f4b76570f7b99106a724.jpeg

747C378E-D3CF-4FC3-B7D8-120A0065125B.jpeg.ec5d0ffeafadd1bc2f14d5ce7cbaed24.jpeg

F0E8C790-4576-4C6B-90B9-171926C70B86.jpeg.edaa774a11ddc268260d8fdc278b2e57.jpeg

3095E816-EDD9-4FE7-B837-DAEAF047A2C9.jpeg.5588a4abdc97246912e3d46e88d1022b.jpeg

Cheers

Darius