The London Festival of railway Modelling

BRMExhibitions

2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Just for fun I looked for visible rucksacks on Phil's high angle photo of the Saturday morning crowd. With his permission, this is what I found. Faces are  pixellated to protect the guilty  (though mostly so I could play with the pixellation tool)

You've missed the other hall.

That was chokka.

;-)

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Note that most rucksacks are at or approaching the Dapol stand - Dapol who always bring lots of items to sell at excellent prices.

So if anyone is to blame it's Dapol and their damn well organised sale stand - Bachmann take note - lots of space, no shoving and you can see what there actually is there without wondering 'what else do they have in the back of the van?'

Or it could have something to do with the Dapol stand being in the foreground of the photo. I could only mark the rucksacks I could see. 

It's a while since Bachmann had anything I wanted to shove for but a few years ago (over three shows) I did get three Lilliput 140Cs for very good prices. They were DCC ready (which I'm not!) and I was fortunate to get them as they stopped making them.

13 hours ago, 298 said:

I still can't find either the Mouse or Wally.

I did think of titling it Find the Wally but decided that would be unfair. not everyone carrying a rucksack is an inconsiderate wally.  

• RMweb Gold

As with all shows the people being inconsiderate and selfish is the real problem just like on the roads where they stop across junctions so you can’t turn in or out ;) On the tube on the way in one guy, I later saw in the show, blocked the escalator standing on the left. I politely asked to get by and he said he couldn’t move to the right as he’d fall over his trolley bag!

I left with three full bags and managed not to clout anyone or damage my purchases. 

The ticket queue was efficient, signposted clearly and well out of the way of the entrance. Loads of seating in the corridor and both halls. So I think they covered all that they could control. Popularity making it busy and the public’s conduct are random ;) 

I travelled 2hrs 20min and enjoyed it, I did the quiet bits, had a break and did some busy bits, had some cake, did more busy bits and then went shopping for my bulky boxes and heavy books just before I left. Surprisingly for those impatient types I didn’t miss out on the bargains as I saved £12 a wagon on my Dapol MGRs over even the Dapol stand by looking around although I did return there for a Terrier that no one saved me from despite it being the only IoW one and leaving it until last! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went back to the Dapol stand twice on Saturday and on both occasions it was a rugby scrum.

I had great difficulty getting to the front to see what was on offer.

Some lovely eye candy on display in the glass case too.

The next batch of 00 Class 73’s are due very shortly and the SWT version looked superb.

Another very busy trade stand was DCC Concepts.

Although quite a long stand, laid out very well with plenty of space, it was chockablock on Saturday morning and lunchtime.

All their team seemed to be constantly busy dealing with enquiries and sales.

A great bunch of chaps too.

Also top marks to Accurascale for their well laid out and very professional stand.

Ron

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I attended on Saturda6 with a group of fellow enthusiasts from our church - very guilty of the rucksack crime but in my defence, between two of us we were hauling around 9 Hornby Live Steam locos for the awesome chaps of the OO Live Steam Society to look at for us.

My thanks go out to these guys, especially Maurice, who patiently spent 4.5 hrs (yes folks that long) giving me a masterclass in servicing one loco with every conceivable fault on it. Way above and beyond the call of duty.

I thought the show was wonderful, as usual, with a great range of layouts and traders to suit pretty much most modellers tastes. Because of the space and layout it never feels uncomfortably crowded whatever time of the day you visit but obviously the stands for the big guys like Dapol & Bachman’s are always a bit of a scrum.

Already looking forward to 2020.

Karl

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have the contact details for the "Totem Signs (made on site)" stand? There are none listed in the show guide.

I attended on Sunday and ordered and paid for 2 totems at lunchtime, only one was ready by the close of the show (!!) and I was asked to leave by security before the other was finished. They promised that the totem would be posted to me - well a week on its not arrived and I have no way of getting in touch with them.

Anyone have any contact details?

Overall though, apart from learning not to trust any trader at a show who says they will post an item to me after the event, I enjoyed the show good balance of layouts to traders - just could do with a few more modern image / diesel layouts for me.

• RMweb Gold

Although I can`t help you with the contact phone details, this Trader has been around for a number of years.

Have you tried to contact Warner Exhibitions for the phone number?

Warners must take some of the blame for your predicament by not insisting that all Traders attending their shows must have at least a contact phone number to be displayed in the show guide.

2 hours ago, SamHill said:

Does anyone have the contact details for the "Totem Signs (made on site)" stand? There are none listed in the show guide.

I attended on Sunday and ordered and paid for 2 totems at lunchtime, only one was ready by the close of the show (!!) and I was asked to leave by security before the other was finished. They promised that the totem would be posted to me - well a week on its not arrived and I have no way of getting in touch with them.

Overall though, apart from learning not to trust any trader at a show who says they will post an item to me after the event, I enjoyed the show good balance of layouts to traders - just could do with a few more modern image / diesel layouts for me.

They do seem overwhelmed when I have seen them at a show. I had the same issue last year sign was ordered mid morning still not done at end of play, about 15 of us and security pushing for us to leave. Got my money back but they should have a cut off knowing how many they can do within the time of the show. I just tried to find them online can't find any info for them, I know they been around for awhile but this is interesting they have no contact details, or details that can be easily found.

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

They do seem overwhelmed when I have seen them at a show. 

Not the time he came to my show, he wasn't!

To be fair it really wasn't the right sort of show for him - a church hall type show doesn't really have sufficient visitors wanting to spend £30 on a station sign.

On 01/04/2019 at 15:20, SamHill said:

You can catch up with him at Trainwest this coming weekend.

Geoff Endacott

Thank you all for your help. So far after a week of trying I haven't been able to get in touch with them by phone or email. Have sent a postal letter...

My advice for anyone going to Trainwest (if he is going to be there) would be to not pay up front - only pay when you collect it on the day - seems to make a lot of errors, and do not trust him to post it to you.

Sadly I cannot go to Trainwest to ask him for it... @Geoff Endacott if you can ask for me that would be great - the order was for a totem with: Thamesby on it - the name of my latest layout.

My personal experience of this trader. I ordered and paid for two signs at Warley one year on the Sunday morning. Despite assurances, 5 hours later when I had to leave, they still weren’t ready. I was assured they would be posted on to me.

I won’t bore you with the amount of emails I sent and phone calls I tried to make. I believe I did exchange one ordinary letter (ie I got one reply). Eventually, one year later, armed with my receipt, I managed to get a refund at Warley! I wouldn’t use them again.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2019 at 17:41, chrisd said:

My personal experience of this trader. I ordered and paid for two signs at Warley one year on the Sunday morning. Despite assurances, 5 hours later when I had to leave, they still weren’t ready. I was assured they would be posted on to me.

I won’t bore you with the amount of emails I sent and phone calls I tried to make. I believe I did exchange one ordinary letter (ie I got one reply). Eventually, one year later, armed with my receipt, I managed to get a refund at Warley! I wouldn’t use them again.

Almost a ditto for our SLS stand header plate; eventually did get it at a subsequent York Show after email correspondence and the demand for a sign or a refund. IIRC the one we did get was made at York on the first show day! The sign is good, but I can't say the process of actually getting it delivered  was good customer care or, significantly, a process likely to generate a repeat order.

Updated - the above problems did occur but to be fair to the bloke (Ron?) we ordered and received one at York this year without a problem.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1

When I have seen them at shows they have been very popular, which is a double edged sword for them. They know how many they can do in an hour and they should have a cut off once they know they can't make anymore within show time. But it's not good to hear of the issues that some have had trying to get them sent after a show, and I'm glad I got my money back at the show when this happened to me, and a lost customer.

Thanks Chris and John. Whilst its sad to know I'm not alone its reassuring too.

Yes they are popular, and agree they certainly should have a cut off time and offer refunds if its not made by collection time and not offer a postal service - I wasn't the only one left in this position 3 other people also gave their address details for theirs to be posted to them I imagine they are also in the same situation.

Their stand should carry a "buyer beware" warning on them. The quality is good, the service, reliability and honesty is far from it. Perhaps exhibition managers should also exercise caution with them too. As disappointed visitors due to poor traders can impact the reputation of the show. My over-riding memory of the London Show is  nowone of feeling ripped off and disappointed and not about the layouts I saw...

• Like 1

I think he means well but is not the best organised.

I had one made for me at a show, ordered it Saturday and picked it up Sunday, I guess that's an advantage of being at a show both days. My wife got one by post as a Christmas present  for me.  I think there was some to-ing and fro-ing with this but it got here in time for Christmas.

This guy might do better just taking orders at shows, making a proper note of names and addresses and then making them when he is back home. I think trying to make signs and take orders all day is too much for one person.

Edited by Chris M
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

He doesn't have a sense of humour either, my brother and I tried to point out to him he spelt Mortimore wrong.

Oh_dear.png.11a1a3f18cf9900fd28322dbd38917e3.png

There have been other moans about this bloke on other exhibition threads and I think one specifically about his trading style. 

This is a thread regarding an exhibition, now had someone said Pig lane was a waste of space then it would be fitting but a rant about a trader should  not put a dark cloud over a very enjoyable weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SamHill said:

Thanks Chris and John. Whilst its sad to know I'm not alone its reassuring too.

Yes they are popular, and agree they certainly should have a cut off time and offer refunds if its not made by collection time and not offer a postal service - I wasn't the only one left in this position 3 other people also gave their address details for theirs to be posted to them I imagine they are also in the same situation.

Their stand should carry a "buyer beware" warning on them. The quality is good, the service, reliability and honesty is far from it. Perhaps exhibition managers should also exercise caution with them too. As disappointed visitors due to poor traders can impact the reputation of the show. My over-riding memory of the London Show is  nowone of feeling ripped off and disappointed and not about the layouts I saw...

Good Morning

Sorry I have only just seen about your problem with Totem Signs.  Please email your contact details and your order to me and we will contact Ron for you. shelley.bright@warnersgroup.co.uk.  We only have a telephone number for him and are not able to share it, but will do our utmost to resolve this for you.  Thank you

• Like 2

"a rant about a trader should  not put a dark cloud over a very enjoyable weekend."...

Sorry, @Clive Mortimore I hadn't intended to take over the thread I originally asked simply for contact details as none are provided in the exhibition show guide. As for Pig Lane - that looks like it was a good layout and "modern" image for its day.  [Edit] And I now recall seeing the newer version at Ally Pally with the playing cards shunting moves decider - it was a good layout for movement and interest.

If you check my original post, I did say I enjoyed the show - just needed a bit more modern image things for me but what was there was generally very good. 

Edited by SamHill
Updating text.