O gauge working signals from Dapol?

billtee

I notice in several model railway magazines that Dapol might(!) be going to produce working GWR signals in O gauge. I cannot find any further information about them, but as my fingers are far too thick and I am not so deft as I once was making building them a definite 'no-no', I am VERY interested in getting lots. Does anyone know more?

• Like 1

I notice in several model railway magazines that Dapol might(!) be going to produce working GWR signals in O gauge. I cannot find any further information about them, but as my fingers are far too thick and I am not so deft as I once was making building them a definite 'no-no', I am VERY interested in getting lots. Does anyone know more?

Have given up asking Dapol don't think they will ever make them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

From the Collectors Club newsletter by post today:

O Gauge GWR Semaphore Signal

All New servo Mechanism

Bounce effect when signal returns to stop position

Easy installation with plug and play connector

Fine adjustable control

EP currently being evaluated - Expected in shops Q2 2019

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes also saw the samples at Bristol show very good but the Finial on the GWR Woden post is far to small (I have full sized wooden post signal so I really noticed the difference) I mentioned this to Dapol and they suggested I raise with Richard Webster, but not sure why they couldn't do it themselves? What is did do though was to pop along to the 3D Modelu stand to see if theirs were larger... and they were... in overall height and diameter of the Finial. Shame really as the Dapol Finial really let's the signal down visually. Still not a huge issue to replace finial plus the Modelu version has a hollow ball and will transform the signal. Think the spectacle plate is not quiet right and wooden arm is too thick, but again those can be replaced. But on the whole it's not bad!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28/01/2019 at 21:07, Adrian Stevenson said:

They had a couple of these on display yesterday at Bristol show. I asked when they would finally hit the shops and was told they should be out by Easter.

Cheers, Ade.

Easter has been a gone and no sign of signals as Dapol suggested at Bristol show.  Shame and not a great surprise as track record for delivery on everything appears to be much further into the future.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Greenmodelmonkey said:

Easter has been a gone and no sign of signals as Dapol suggested at Bristol show.  Shame and not a great surprise as track record for delivery on everything appears to be much further into the future.

Not that surprising given a more recent post suggests alterations.

• 1 month later...

I am getting excited - perhaps Dapol are actually going to be producing and selling GWR signals! Wow - I have gone blue holding my breath waiting! I will DEFINITELY be ordering at least four as starter signals, and if Dapol produce left hand junction signals as they are showing for OO gauge, I’ll have four of those too, please! I might even have five - I can certainly put all signals to good use. And if they have automatic ‘bounce’, I’ll almost be in O gauge modellers’ heaven! Probably I will be - I have only got about another 20 years of life left, and Dapol are so slow in producing anything. Groan!

• Funny 1

• 3 months later...
On 24/10/2019 at 08:15, Greenmodelmonkey said:

Yawn zzzzzzzzz (can someone  wake me when they appear, many thanks!)

Wakey wakey! Tower have announced that the GWR signals are expected in the next week or so with LMS to follow later in November!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Had a phone call from Tower Models today, and they are arriving (!) on Monday. Since I have never seen the 1/43 scale signals (only blurry OO model signals) I am agog with excitement. I have looked at the Tower Models website for more information, but apart from saying a control box houses the servos (? Does this mean that servo right-angle arms are involved?) and that we will have a pre-wired switch, not a lot of info!

Questions:

1: How long is the wire to the switch (my layout is 17ft x 11ft, so if I have just one signal panel, I will need to extend the switch wires.

2: Tower Models say the signals work on 16v AC - is the 16v AC accessory power feed from DC speed controllers suitable?

3: How much space will I require under my baseboard? I have a jungle of wires under there (yes, I know I should have everything beautifully wired, and clipped, and colour-coded, but life gets in the way!), and as my new signals will be near the end of platforms, there are points with DCC Concepts point motors, and Hex Frogjuicer circuit boards nearby, and wires to my platform lamps, etc. At least I have room vertically below my baseboard which is clear (for said DCC Concepts point motors!). But how much room is required? No clues from Dapol or Tower!

Anyway, when they are installed I will report here, and then wait for Dapol to produce left- and right-hand junction signals. I could do with 4 or 5 of those!

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill, my O gauge signals are here.

The length of the wire on the switch is 11 inch.

A baseboard frame depth of 3 inch would allow for mounting of the signal and servo and still allow it to be hidden from view.

According to the instructions, power can be 9v to 12v DC or powered from DCC track voltage up to 18v.

Cheers, Ade.