O gauge working signals from Dapol?

billtee

I see they ignored my constructive comments made at the Bristol O gauge show that the Finial looked wrong and was too small.  I was told they would raise this with Richard Webster (?). 

The ball should 7 inches in diameter full size (or 4,08mm in 7mm scale) and larger than the post width which is 6 inches at top.   Scaling the photos above looks like the ball is closer to approx 5 inches equivalent diameter (or 2.9mm in 7mm scale) which also makes the whole finial too short in height and out of proportion.  The ball is approx 30% to small on diameter  Shame as this a simple error tends spoil the overall look of the signal.

Interesting photos show bit of potential rework around the arm pivot.  Looks like its been attacked with a craft knife to make it fit or work especially as both signals are the same (???).  

It's taken so long to come to market and would have hoped it would have been better, especially at the price being charged.....

Yes agreed I mentioned this in an earlier in this post.   The Modelu finials and signal lamps are spot on and I use these myself and use peco/ratio signal kits, the arms and spectacle plate would make a very good replacement.  

Now I have seen the final product I think I will stick to making them myself as there are too many areas which I can see are not correctly modeled for my finescale layout.  

However ....Many thanks for supplying photos and hope all goes well in use.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The instructions supplied tell you how to operate them with DCC. You can use the Dapol DCC Servo signal controller 4A-001-002 (available separately).  Or a DCC accessory controller like Digikeijs DR4080 to provide a single pole double throw 3 wire output. You cannot use a 3 wire point motor operating unit as the voltage may be too great and damage the power base.

Cheers, Ade.

Having finally received my Dapol O gauge GWR signals, I spent most of yesterday getting them installed on my layout. Before starting, I used my little Gaugemaster controller as a 12v power source to try out one of my signals, and I am delighted with them, except that the pitifully short 3-wire controlling lead is far too short to be useful, so I was lucky to have plenty of ‘track dropper’ wire in the required colours (brown, yellow and orange/red). I had to extend all four signal control leads, one by over 10ft to control the starter at the far end of my station. The 12v power leads also needed extending as I wanted to use a dedicated 12v power source for just the signalling - most of my 12v power sources are used for point motor control and lights in buildings and around the goods shed and MPD.

Anyway, all four signals are now installed and working well (I like the little ‘bounce’ on the return!), and I am now holding my breath for GWR junction signals. I would like 3 left hand ones, and 1 right hand one. I won’t hold out any hope for operating shunting signals!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can anyone give me a clue for interlocking the new Dapol signals with DCC Concepts point motors? I have considered using the two switches built into the motors, but I cannot guarantee that the motor will always reach its ‘end of travel’ and so have both switches work (I have had problems with this in OO gauge, probably due to bad point motor mounting - you have to be exactly precise!).

Bill

On 03/11/2019 at 15:57, Greenmodelmonkey said:

I see they ignored my constructive comments made at the Bristol O gauge show that the Finial looked wrong and was too small.  I was told they would raise this with Richard Webster (?). 

The ball should 7 inches in diameter full size (or 4,08mm in 7mm scale) and larger than the post width which is 6 inches at top.   Scaling the photos above looks like the ball is closer to approx 5 inches equivalent diameter (or 2.9mm in 7mm scale) which also makes the whole finial too short in height and out of proportion.  The ball is approx 30% to small on diameter  Shame as this a simple error tends spoil the overall look of the signal.

Interesting photos show bit of potential rework around the arm pivot.  Looks like its been attacked with a craft knife to make it fit or work especially as both signals are the same (???).  

It's taken so long to come to market and would have hoped it would have been better, especially at the price being charged.....

£47.50 is a snip for a fully operational O gauge signal, the ball being 30% to small isn’t going to bother 98% of people.

The finial ball SHOULD be the correct diameter - not MANY people notice, but we do, and when we are paying nearly £50 per signal, they should be correct! Can’t comment on the arm pivot because my four signals appear OK. They work, which is more than I can say for the signals on many layouts, if they have signals at all!

Most visitors to my layout don’t even notice the signals, as they are usually looking for the people on the layout, and I do not have very many people, except those on the footplates of all my locos. Visitors seem to miss the fact that I have NONE in the cabs of my diesels, but that could be because it is not so easy to see in. Doh!

Bill

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just checked and finales are £7.50 for 5 from Modelu.

If a few people worried about their undersized balls share a packet the cost is pretty minimal for the enhanced wellbeing.

An irritating error perhaps but not insurmountable.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Has anyone managed to find a stockist for the extension leads 4A-000-014 yet? Especially bearing in mind that the same lead is used on the OO signals which have been available for some time.

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone advise on a DCC decoder for these signals?  I think that the decoders recommended for the earlier N and OO gauge signals are not appropriate for these signals - but I am not sure.  

All suggestions gratefully received.

PM

On 07/11/2019 at 18:36, uk_pm said:

Can anyone advise on a DCC decoder for these signals?  I think that the decoders recommended for the earlier N and OO gauge signals are not appropriate for these signals - but I am not sure.  

All suggestions gratefully received.

PM

I`ve ordered Train Tech SC4  newly released for Dapol O gauge signals. 

Bernd

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2019 at 18:41, Greenmodelmonkey said:

Yes agreed I mentioned this in an earlier in this post.   The Modelu finials and signal lamps are spot on and I use these myself and use peco/ratio signal kits, the arms and spectacle plate would make a very good replacement.  

Now I have seen the final product I think I will stick to making them myself as there are too many areas which I can see are not correctly modeled for my finescale layout.  

However ....Many thanks for supplying photos and hope all goes well in use.

Apart from the finials, which I agree are disappointing, what are your other concerns?

Edited by Footy

None of fittings are to the correct pattern or even close in most cases.  ladder is incorrect with its outward facing rungs.  The older Peco/Ratio kit is much closer to the real thing and all the fittings are correct patterns including the correct finial dimensions.  Just don't understand why this later model is so wrong.  It's such a shame as could have been a great model.  I expect it will be fine for those that just want a basic working signal and are not worried about its visual accuracy like some of us.  

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Greenmodelmonkey said:

I expect it will be fine for those that just want a basic working signal.  

In fairness, that is probably what they were aiming for.

I can forgive things like the ladders which you would need some knowledge to notice. Key features being out of proportion is a little harder to justify though.

I also understand the current head of product development at Dapol came from Ratio models so hoped and expected it would have been closer to full-size practice.  However I also understand the complications of creating a working model and it needs to be robust for operation and use, but there are parts that could have been designed closer to reality.  I will stop now as I have had my say and expect/hope most of you will be happy with this new signal.  

All the best....