Hello! Thank you for your kind comments. Angst-Lesspork is my layout. Still going strong - we were at Hartlepool last weekend.

I did get Sir Terry Pratchett's permission to exhibit the layout; bit difficult to do now, but his agent could put you on to those who look after his intellectual property.

Here is a video of the layout I took at the Fareham show earlier this month

https://youtu.be/X6NB3GrDgho

More on the layout here: http://hnorwood.co.uk/files/angst.htm

Great to hear from you! As I say, I'm a big fan of your layout and I did read up on it before starting mine - standing on the shoulders of giants, etc.

Good to hear from you.  I think I saw it at York, IIRC, but the gentleman operating it, although perfectly friendly, was not the builder and could not say much about it. 

The photographs I posted were taken in 2017.  I took a lot!

I guessed from the date stamp on your photos it was York. That would have been one of my co-pilots! 009er but not, alas, a discworlder!

Great to hear from you! As I say, I'm a big fan of your layout and I did read up on it before starting mine - standing on the shoulders of giants, etc.

Oh <blush> that's very kind. I'll have to drop by here more often to see how you are progressing. {I'm usually to be found in the real world rather than online, and if online then on ngrm-online.com, the 009 society forum or even (whisper it) faceborg}

Have fun!

One of the things I initially thought when starting out was that I didn't want to overpopulate the layout with specific characters. That being said, I think I have to have Dibbler, because he shows up everywhere - and if you can't find CMOT, you can find one of his many distant cousins. I forget whether it was Raising Steam or Mrs Bradshaw's Guidebook that said he'd got into property speculation with the rise of the railway, so I definitely have an excuse to bring him in. It also means that I have an excuse for any wonky buildings on the layout.

I did consider giving him a private owner wagon on the railway - I found an old Hornby Palethorpe's Pork Sausages van in storage, and thought it might be neat to turn it into a Dibbler's "Pork" Sausages van. However, I don't think Dibbler sells enough sausages-inna-bun to justify such a wagon, so I'm planning on turning it into a pork futures wagon. I wonder if any of the dwarf tunnels from Thud! run under the Pork Futures warehouse? Maybe I could have the Discworld equivalent of London's Smithfield meat trains. They're pretty lightweight because the meat doesn't exist yet.

What about rat-onna-stick wagons?

• Like 2

Well, a package arrived from China this morning. It’s meant to be a wind pump, but I think it could make a decent clacks tower with some alteration.

attachicon.gifDF6B4BCE-85EA-49CA-B39F-79F6B31B8CBE.jpeg

That's an interesting find.  I can see it sitting on a masonry or wooden tower, which would give extra height and provide an office and accommodation for the crew.

• RMweb Premium

Just so long as it contains all four main food groups. Grease, starch, Fat and burnt crunchy bits.

I've been tryin to find which book this comes up in. 

Dwarf bread will require at least a bogie well wagon but probably a Trestrol.

• Like 1

That's an interesting find.  I can see it sitting on a masonry or wooden tower, which would give extra height and provide an office and accommodation for the crew.

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking of a flat-roofed building of one or two storeys, the idea being that the main machinery is down there by (or above) the office. If I can find a suitable figure, it would be fun to have a goblin up the tower performing maintenance. A fellow Discworld fan said that she thinks I'm taking all this way more seriously than I should be, but meh, Rule 1.

I also considered a concept, which I haven't entirely abandoned, of having a phone box with a set of semaphore shutters on top. I don't think any such thing appears in the books, but with semaphore modems showing up in the Science of Discworld and mobile semaphores being described as fashionable in the Thieves' Guild Yearbook, I don't think it would be too out of place.

Ooook!

I did think about that, but last time the neighbours complained, and of course then there's the smell.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking of a flat-roofed building of one or two storeys, the idea being that the main machinery is down there by (or above) the office. If I can find a suitable figure, it would be fun to have a goblin up the tower performing maintenance. A fellow Discworld fan said that she thinks I'm taking all this way more seriously than I should be, but meh, Rule 1.

I also considered a concept, which I haven't entirely abandoned, of having a phone box with a set of semaphore shutters on top. I don't think any such thing appears in the books, but with semaphore modems showing up in the Science of Discworld and mobile semaphores being described as fashionable in the Thieves' Guild Yearbook, I don't think it would be too out of place.

I did think about that, but last time the neighbours complained, and of course then there's the smell.

For Possible buildings, check out www.davesgames.net

Regards, Daisy.

Please tell me you will have foul old Ron in there cos if you don't I will find you and mumble and mutter till you pay me go and watch another layout lol

Steve

Let's be thankful we don't reproduce smells and aromas on our models, Steve. :D

• Like 1

Okay, I got more done this evening than I thought I would. One Superquick kit supplied three buildings in the foreground and an awful lot of the backscene. Not bad for a fiver.
post-31781-0-77462900-1541636270_thumb.jpeg

Actually, this whole city scene was pretty cheap. The brick-built shop was a free gift with (I think) Railway Modeller and the buildings on the backscene that weren't taken from the Superquick kit were built using bits of the cottage kit that came with BRM recently and a Bilt-Eezi warehouse that I had in my bits box. I bought a second Superquick kit when I thought I'd need more structures, so that'll fill out the remainder of the backscene and give me the bits I need for my clacks building. That being said, it's the Tolworth show this weekend, and I strongly suspect I'm going to wind up spending a small fortune on appropriate street furniture and figures. There are a few details that need fairly obviously adding to the buildings - chimney pots, weathering and colouring in the edges of the card.

One downside is that I don't have space for the station I originally planned, but to be honest that's not a horrendous loss. It was a choice between the street scene and the station, and the street scene is more fun. We'll just assume the station is slightly offstage.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to being somewhat of a lurker rather than a participant in the forum in general but I felt the need to comment on this.  

Put simply, it's marvellous.  I'm an avowed Discworld nut and miss Sir Terry's wit and craft immensely.  Raising Steam was the last of the books I have read (I can't bring myself to read Shepherd's Crown; it's sitting on my shelf but it would finally signal the end for me and that's not something I want to feel)  

This ticks all the right boxes for tone and atmosphere.  Kudos to you good man/woman/troll/dwarf/wizard/creature of hitherto unknown type/Nobby Nobbs of Ankh!

• 2 weeks later...