Planned Bachmann Branchline release schedule published 19 October 2018

lindi

• RMweb Premium

A few items on the Farish N gauge list have shifted backwards or disappeared completely as well. Looks like the second run of Mk2a FK's in N scale have been lost overboard at sea somewhere!

• RMweb Gold

The BR maroon Portholes are on there for release in May 2019 at an eye-watering price nudging £55 per coach.

According to this post in 2014... that makes them more than double their original street price...

I pre-ordered five coaches from the well known Sheffield based retailer in March 2012 for £22.50. I received an email about them earlier today:

"These are due into stock within the next week but the reason for my email is to inform you about the price. As you may be aware Bachmann have recently increased their cost prices quite significantly, as your order is now outside our 12 month price guarantee the price will be £31.95 each."

Is anybody else aware of this 12 month price guarantee period for pre-orders? I can't find anything about it on my pre-order confirmation or anywhere on their web site. Interestingly no mention was made in the email of the fact that my credit card details had expired.

And the argument about price was rabid back then too..£31 was a bargain in disguise. Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of time to save the required.  £300 for a 3-car DMU which, going by the price of the single cars at £150 apiece, makes the unpowered ones £75 each.  And both the liveries I had hoped for from Kernow MRC's original announcement are not even being produced for now namely green syp and all blue.  I might take a green one.  It's a big might.  Because it means I shall have to invest in a 121 to run alongside it and retire the Hornby ones.

The 4Bep is apparently still in the drawing office which seems a mite tardy when only one new coach is required and the rest is the same as the 4Cep.  Likewise the 2Hap which is not so very different to the existing 2EPB and 2H units isn't even up and over the horizon.

These dates are good to have and a handy reference for forward planning.  They might slip back.  Prices may rise further.  But at least we are not completely in the dark and bemoaning that.

• Like 1

Yes - unfortunately its like a "Mystic Meg" wish list.....

Regarding the crazy pricing - particularly on older models, then I actually think its Kader who are dictating to Bachmann, and they are just selling it for X.  Are people really still buying this stuff?  If they are - thats why its happening. As for me glad I bought a load of HEA's and MEA 's on the old chassis for about £5-£6 and not touched any since!  And to Normalise to give some sort of context (similar model, both selling through retailers etc) - Hornby Seacow - 29.99, Bachmann 49.95.

Regards,

C.

Plenty of time to save the required.  £300 for a 3-car DMU which, going by the price of the single cars at £150 apiece, makes the unpowered ones £75 each.  And both the liveries I had hoped for from Kernow MRC's original announcement are not even being produced for now namely green syp and all blue.  I might take a green one.  It's a big might.  Because it means I shall have to invest in a 121 to run alongside it and retire the Hornby ones.

The 4Bep is apparently still in the drawing office which seems a mite tardy when only one new coach is required and the rest is the same as the 4Cep.  Likewise the 2Hap which is not so very different to the existing 2EPB and 2H units isn't even up and over the horizon.

These dates are good to have and a handy reference for forward planning.  They might slip back.  Prices may rise further.  But at least we are not completely in the dark and bemoaning that.

The 2-HAP is entirely new tooling and was shown at the collectors club this year. Comes with pre-fitted speaker, which is fine for me as I intended to add sound. Hopefully easier to get i into to fit the chip than an EPB.

• RMweb Gold

Neither Bachmann nor Hornby have got anything to attract my money until next May (portholes if they appear) at the very earliest. Meanwhile there is loads of stuff sitting on model shop shelves or ebay to satisfy any acquisitive itch and which may permanently replace items from the Bachmann waiting list entirely (for example I've just bought a brand new J50 for £48 so that £110 J72 is looking unlikely!).

I appreciate Bachmann UK are probably as frustrated as we are but I dont understand the business model that doesnt deliver new models in time for peak modelling and spending season which for me and I suspect many is autumn - Christmas - winter long nights.

Summer disposable income gets spent on more outdoor orientated activities (preserved lines and motorbike gear in my case).

Edited by MikeParkin65

Does make for depressing reading. £125 for a Class 03? £300 for a 3 car DMU? £55 for a coach? With plenty of time for negative exchange rate changes to make things worse. What we need is a few more Accurascales to pop up and provide decent products at a realistic price.

• RMweb Premium

I would just like a little more explanation. Why, for example, have the maroon Portholes and crane suddenly got at least six months further away? They were where most of my spend was going in 2019 - now the money will probably go on sound chips and anything useful that Hornby announces.

I would just like a little more explanation. Why, for example, have the maroon Portholes and crane suddenly got at least six months further away? They were where most of my spend was going in 2019 - now the money will probably go on sound chips and anything useful that Hornby announces.

A wedge of things in that list can be had on the s/h market at much, much more reasonable and realistic prices. I am not going to pay £136 (after the 15% RRP discount) for a GWR Hall when some good second hand examples can be had for around £70. OK this new one may be in a new livery scheme but luckily I have somewhat mastered the art of spray painting and transfer application over the last 18 months or so. 

I know we've said it time and again but I really do think these prices are reaching their nadir. Kit manufacturers and second hand dealers, rejoice!

CoY

Re Crane

Hang on, in Andy Y's Jan interview with Bachmann, they said Decembe 2018 or soon after, but pushing for earlier

https://youtu.be/j8NiR7C2NyQ?t=1177

This then slipped to Feb/March (fine, not a problem). Now its basically post-October 2019, so somehow in 10 months its slipped 10 at least. Has no work been done during this calendar year?

Normally with the cost of tooling, I would say that its too far gone to be cancelled, BUT with brexit, and this model having a clearly very high level of manual assembly, this may be a situation when tooling costs as a precentage of the final model are not as high as is normal, and I wander whether it has been quietly dropped?

While Bachann said it was doing well on pre-orders, especially in current times, pre-orders are no promises of sales, especially if the price rises. I certainly won't be paying any more than my pre-order price.

Maybe Bachmann could reassure us and confirm when production slots are planned for?

Very disappointing. There is very little from Bachmann that I'm buying at the moment; Hornby and Dapol are getting my money; what a turnaround from a few years back.

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Just checked the website's catalogue and it looks very much as if the 94xx has been deferred yet again; the previous putative delivery date of September 2019 has been quietly dropped and the model does not feature on this release schedule.  I am getting a bit fed up with this to be honest and will have no sympathy with Bachmann is somebody else gazumps them with this loco.  Tomparryharry's gloomy predictions have been bourn out, and I am increasingly grateful for my Limbach 'temporary' model, which while a long way from perfect is providing me with a great deal of pleasure.

I would be happier, if Bachmann are having problems with this model, if they'd just come clean and say so; I'm sure most of us waiting for it would be sympathetic.  The current approach feels as if information is being mendaciously withheld and I for one feel a little insulted by the attitude.  How many more times will this loco be put back without explanation, and why should I believe anything that Bachmann tell me about it in future; customer trust is an important issue and they seem to have forgotten that in this case.  The loco was first announced over 5 years ago, and I cannot understand what is so difficult about producing a relatively simple inside cylinder 0-6-0 tank which will no doubt feature a version of an already well established chassis from the 57xx; only a slightly different frame profile is needed, so they've hardly had to start from scratch with it, it's not as if they are introducing anything clever like working inside motion or anything.

I am not a happy bunny.

Reply deleted.

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Actually, as it turns out, I've re-thought my loco plans and, 94xx apart, nobody has anything that I'm interested in buying in the foreseeable future, and I have all the freight, mineral, and NPCCS stock I am likely to want as well.  Future plans will inevitably turn to kits for non-gangwayed GW stock and pre A27 auto trailers; this is where my requirements now lie and the chances of any of it appearing from any RTR manufacturer are not high!

• RMweb Premium

Why are nearly all green with small yellow diesel locos made by Bachmann sound fitted. 32-791DS  is a prime example, I am not going to pay £250 to chuck £80 worth of carp I don't want in the bin. Please please can green diesels be available without noise, just simple DC.