Oil Trains to MOD depots

scottishlocos

All

I know fuel oil trains were the mainstay of quite a few MOD depots during both wars but when did these trains stop running not talking about the aviation fuel traffic but fuel oil traffic which was for either storage or use by the depot for heating /powering equipment

Was there any of these oil trains during Falklands or Gulf War 1

Trying to find out if I can justify oil tanks for my late 80s early 90s MOD micro layout

Dave

I’m not sure about anything earlier than 90s, but there is a picture of a class 58 with a single TTA arriving at Long Marston as a special movement for an exercise . This would be about 97.

Coal did continue till about 2000 to bicester for heating, so you could try that instead maybe

Edited by rob D2

I don't think periods of heightened military activity would necessarily lead to more oil for use within bases, though, perversely, they might have been busier after such occasions, as aircraft were brought back for overhaul. The fuel oil would have been used for space-heating of hangars to reduce condensation-damage to the more delicate bits of equipment. Apart from Bicester, RAF St Athan used to receive fuel-oil until the late 1960s. I'm not sure about any other establishments being so-served.

Aviation-fuel terminals seemed to often be located some distance from the bases they served; often they'd be located between several sites, and would often also be connected to pipelines.

• Like 1

There are photographs around 1964ish of 34051 Winston Churchill taking trains of tank wagons to the MOD fuel depot at West Moors. This traffic continued via Wimborne until 14 Oct 1974.

Fat controller is correct in that the major RAF airfields based along the line of the M40/M4 had their JetA1  fuel delivered from [mainly] underground pipelines starting at Milford Haven.

[edited to add addnl. info]

Edited by ted675

• 1 month later...

There are photographs around 1964ish of 34051 Winston Churchill taking trains of tank wagons to the MOD fuel depot at West Moors. This traffic continued via Wimborne until 14 Oct 1974.

Fat controller is correct in that the major RAF airfields based along the line of the M40/M4 had their JetA1  fuel delivered from [mainly] underground pipelines starting at Milford Haven.

[edited to add addnl. info]

To be pedantic (or merely accurate, take your pick), 14 Oct 1974 was when the Wimborne-West Moors (MoD) section was taken out of use. The trains to the depot had petered out earlier that year, in the summer. At the time (I lived in the area), I firmly believed the last trains had been around June/July, but there's some photographic evidence that there might have been some movments in August. Beyond that - zilch!

Colin