LNER Coronation & Silver Jubilee Coach's

LNER-Tom

Not sure what you mean about enough meat on the triang coach but I have had no issues with making any of the Coronation or Silver Jubilee coachs from them so far, sometimes I need to use more than 1 Thompson coach to make a coronation or silver jubilee coach.

Hi to all modellers

An ingenious way of producing the Coronation coaches.

Is there enough meat on the Triang Thompson coaches to produce the Coronation First twin??

Perhaps I should get the drawings.

Earlswood Nob

(A signal box near my youthful residence)

Good morning all

You've answered the question.

I calculated that the gap between windows on the first class Coronatian was greater that the gap in Thompson coaches.

However using windows from more than one coach would allow the longer gaps to be modelled.

I shall have to start collection Thompson coaches to follow your lead.

Earlswood nob

It is rather Extreme, the worst was the Silver Jubilee Kitchen car, 26 parts stuck together, filled and sanded, it was a nightmare, it was also a coach many on FB said was not possible. I love the challenge:

post-35264-0-50941400-1541362028_thumb.png

post-35264-0-95270000-1541362035_thumb.png

Been working really hard on the Silver Jubilee rake this weekend. its all built and painted, just drying before I apply transfers and matt varnish. 

post-35264-0-60854600-1541362046_thumb.png

Should have this one completed in the next few days, then I can focus on the Coronation set. 

Extreme cut and shut! I've reassembled coach sides from several pieces, but never quite as many as you have done. Getting everything lined up properly, as you appear to have done, is quite an achievement.

• Like 4

if you're like me, it's a great incentive when "knowledgeable" people tell you that something is impossible. It usually turns out that they haven't actually tried to do anything like the job that they dismiss as impossible, or that they have tried something similar but either failed to take enough time and care or did not apply enough thought.....

• Like 1

100%, I love the impossible and proving people wrong

if you're like me, it's a great incentive when "knowledgeable" people tell you that something is impossible. It usually turns out that they haven't actually tried to do anything like the job that they dismiss as impossible, or that they have tried something similar but either failed to take enough time and care or did not apply enough thought.....

• RMweb Premium

It is rather Extreme, the worst was the Silver Jubilee Kitchen car, 26 parts stuck together, filled and sanded, it was a nightmare, it was also a coach many on FB said was not possible. I love the challenge:

And I thought Josef the coach of many colours was made from enough bits. 

post-16423-0-40802000-1541370649_thumb.jpg

Well done Tom

• Like 6

After 77 days of cutting, gluing, filling, sanding, painting and applying transfers the Silver Jubilee rake is now 100% complete:

post-35264-0-73225300-1541538834.jpg

post-35264-0-16390900-1541538840_thumb.jpg

post-35264-0-43999300-1541538852_thumb.jpg

post-35264-0-86400500-1541538860_thumb.jpg

post-35264-0-29080900-1541538866_thumb.jpg

I am unbelievably happy to own this one off set. When I first started it I didn't think I would ever finish it.... 

Now to get cracking on the Coronation set :) 

• Like 9

Well done Tom, Looks good.

The LNER added an eighth coach to the The Silver Jubilee set, so you could take up the challenge and do one more.

The coach was added in the rear set in February 1938.  I think it was a 3rd, but will check.

Mark

I know the coach you're referring to it was added to the rake in 1938. 

It doesn't interest me in the extra coach, I like the fact it is 2-3-2 as it is balanced front to back :) 

Well done Tom, Looks good.

The LNER added an eighth coach to the The Silver Jubilee set, so you could take up the challenge and do one more.

The coach was added in the rear set in February 1938.  I think it was a 3rd, but will check.

Mark

After 77 days of cutting, gluing, filling, sanding, painting and applying transfers the Silver Jubilee rake is now 100% complete:

attachicon.gif45395554_10160929024460562_5362756733414408192_n.jpg

attachicon.gif45545897_10160929024590562_7629786075929509888_n.jpg

attachicon.gif45482980_10160929024605562_1703102971228717056_n.jpg

attachicon.gif45643538_10160929024610562_17285366465691648_n.jpg

attachicon.gif45537888_10160929024620562_7280116089529303040_n.jpg

I am unbelievably happy to own this one off set. When I first started it I didn't think I would ever finish it.... 

Now to get cracking on the Coronation set :)

They look stunning. You should be very proud.

Good morning all

The bogies are a problem. There is much discussion as to which bogies were replaced by 10ft heavy bogies.

The Isinglass drawings show 10ft HD bogies fitted on the restaurant triplet and 8ft6ins HD bogies for the rest.

Isinglass drawings also show 10ft HD bogies fitted as middle bogies on the Coronation twins which included a kitchen, with 8ft 6ins HD bogies for the rest.

I don't know of any supplier for the 10ft version of the HD bogies.

I suppose that one could "cut and shut" two cosmetic 8ft 6ins HD bogies, and fit them to a 10ft bogie frame as supplied by Dart castings.

A very interesting and informative thread.

Earlswood Nob

The third class set did have another third which (from memory) was on a short underframe like the kitchen car.  The First twin and the triplet third were used after the war on the Fife Coast Express from Glasgow to Leven and round the coast line. I think that in winter it did not run or stopped short. The fishing villages were popular holiday destinations for city people in the 50s/early 60s pre package holidays.  I have seen these coaches in service in red/cream and later maroon livery. In maroon there was no lining but the aluminium window frames were polished or at least unpainted. 

I  did produce a plastic kit for the ten foot bogies but as these will now be with Coopercraft  (see under small suppliers) I am fairly sure that they will be unobtainable.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just in case, since you are fairly new to RMweb: whatever you do Tom, do not place an online order via Coopercraft's website.  You won't see your goods or money again.  The thread in the Small Suppliers section will provide all the gory detail if you really feel you have to read it.

• RMweb Gold

Blimey!  A modelling minefield in one photo.  Earl Marischal in LNER green with BR number and LNER tender, hauling Coronation coaches (is it the spare set without the lettering?) with streamlined panelling removed to expose road dirt/rust coloured underframe.

Is this the Fife Coast Express that Ian referred to?

• Like 2

Blimey!  A modelling minefield in one photo.  Earl Marischal in LNER green with BR number and LNER tender, hauling Coronation coaches (is it the spare set without the lettering?) with streamlined panelling removed to expose road dirt/rust coloured underframe.

Is this the Fife Coast Express that Ian referred to?

If you built it and ran it in that formation, you'd have some rivet counter telling you how it's totally incorrect and not prototypical.

Hi,

Not the Fife Coast Express, that was the non catering bits of the Silver Jubilee.

I must have travelled behind this loco in this condition. Too young to remember myself but discovered in a series of letters my Father wrote to my Mother and myself when he was away to the Air Force Reserve after the war. He said of his journey  " Tell the boy that it was the same big green engine Earl Marischal that brought us back from Edinburgh"  the last in the series of letters it said " I have bought the boy a small meccano set" . I was two at the time so my fate was sealed fated to be an engineer with an interest in Railways.

I have seen movie film of the train shown above on an Aberdeen Edinburgh service. Only the first two coaches are from the Coronation  it was a Brake open third / Kitchen restaurant twin and for many years used on the Aberdeen/Edinburgh trains. I think two sets may have been involved, up  and down.  Again I have seen these in blood/custard and maroon. Starting out in a train of Gresley and Thomson coaches then with increasing numbers of Mk1s  the ex Coronations would go when the Mk 1 catering types became available I don't think I can remember seeing them after about 1960. Modellers should remember that trains of "uniform" coaches were comparatively rare - named and important trains excepted until around 1960.  Another regular formation on Aberdeen/Edinburgh - which came through Kirkcaldy when I was old enough to be at the station on my own- had a Thompson (I think Composite) in perfect fake teak until 1957. I think it must have been some foreman's pet as it always seemed cleaner than the rest of the train. Again, if you modelled that I am sure that you would get plenty of criticism.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 5