Easy to make catch points

Here is a small mod I carried out on some Hornby small radius points.

I know Peco make catch points but they can be quite expensive if you need a few. where as second hand Hornby points can be picked up for around £3 to £4 second hand at swap meets, toy fairs or in rummage boxes in model shops.

post-6736-0-43324000-1540167523_thumb.jpg

To start with, Using track cutters, cut all the rails just before the check rails,

post-6736-0-84896700-1540167590_thumb.jpg

Like this, so you are left with a short point. the top section can be discarded. if you so desire you can tidy up the rail ends and use this as the trap point, or modify further, as below, for one which has less rails.

Depending on whether you want curved or straight traps, remove one point blade and associated rail, leaving the spring mechanism in place, like in the pic below. 

post-6736-0-42115000-1540167689_thumb.jpg

This will allow you to move the points to the 'run off' position, add a fishplate to the rails, you made need to remove a small amount of chair detail with a scalpel blade for the fish plates to fit.

post-6736-0-19148200-1540167727_thumb.jpg

I have successfully made and use numerous of these catch points all over my layout and the work and look good, and they are cheap to make.

post-6736-0-76377200-1540167862_thumb.jpg

I hope this maybe of use to someone.

Please note, that due to the nature of their construction, this method does not work on Peco points .

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Griffin
  • Like 3

I have done this myself.  However if you planning to use fine scale track then SMP make a cheap plastic sleeper point kit . I seem to recall the assembly instructions explaining how two make a catch point . This could be used with the new Peco bull head track. 

Another thing to remember is that the single bladed version was favoured by some companies / regions while others  used the double bladed type . The Peco catch points are very likely based on a southern railway design and may be the wrong type for your layout ( If this kind of thing bothers you ! )  Do not forget to add point roding or a dummy electric point motor if it is a trap point or Slotted joint.