Major fire at Newton Abbot Carriage shed

• RMweb Gold

The Newton Abbot GWR Carriage and Wagon Repair Shop built in the 1890s has suffered a major fire:

44506633_2199654043645150_21110053010491

Source: devonlive.com

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/everything-know-huge-newton-abbot-2132362

It was under threat of demolition to build a supermarket and was the subject of a campaign to save it.

The Newton Abbot GWR Carriage and Wagon Repair Shop built in the 1890s has suffered a major fire:

44506633_2199654043645150_21110053010491

Source: devonlive.com

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/everything-know-huge-newton-abbot-2132362

It was under threat of demolition to build a supermarket and was the subject of a campaign to save it.

But what makes it worth saving, other than that it is an old railway building that has long ceased to undertake its original purpose?

The British are getting a little too besotted with saving everything that is old, without any real consideration of historical significance.

Jim

• Like 1

But what makes it worth saving, other than that it is an old railway building that has long ceased to undertake its original purpose?

The British are getting a little too besotted with saving everything that is old, without any real consideration of historical significance.

Look at what happened to poor old Guido Fawkes when he attempted to renovate the Houses of Parliament

• RMweb Premium

Jim

Maybe they don't want new ######super markets?

• RMweb Premium

It might be different if most things that replaced them weren't so utterly bland, but even without that let's not extend the throwaway culture to buildings too. Historical significance is a good reason to keep things but it isn't the only one; many people find the most appealing places to live are those that have kept the most old buildings, added the fewest new ones, but have still got rid of all the downsides that would've existed when those buildings were new. So I suppose all it tells you is about the sort of environment a lot of people prefer and it would be wrong to suggest there's anything wrong with that.

Not that this tells me anything about this particular one.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they don't want new ######super markets?

There is a modern Sainsbury less than a mile away, right by the A380 intersection. And a big Tesco the other side of the town, I think, and no doubt others. Not sure how this site would be accessed. 

Edited to correct road number. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim

It's not about saving anything with or without historical significance, it's about keeping and creating a varied architecture so that the built environment is a more pleasant place to live.  You only have to look at the 60's building spree of bland and depressing buildings* to realise that having differing styles has worth.

* lets not mention the fact, that so many have not stood the test of time and have proved to be less than satisfactory in both design, and life expectancy.

• Like 6

It's not about saving anything with or without historical significance, it's about keeping and creating a varied architecture so that the built environment is a more pleasant place to live.  You only have to look at the 60's building spree of bland and depressing buildings* to realise that having differing styles has worth.

* lets not mention the fact, that so many have not stood the test of time and have proved to be less than satisfactory in both design, and life expectancy.

You beat me to it, there are many old buildings which are past their original use but have be successfully remodelled/repurposed

In Torquay look at Lloyds bank which is now refurbished by Prezzo keeping the old architecture making a lovely place to eat in and very well complimented by good food, totally opposite to the Pizza Express establishment down the road, which is best not commented further

Or look at Bath Green Park Station, tasteful reuse of a land mark site.

I get rather fed up with both public bodies and some corporate companies who fail to maintain and or develop their properties, and just knock down the property and build another bland development

My current property is nearly 100 years old, our old terrace house must be 120+ and our first flat being 100+ years old. All are still standing and in good repair, our old flat was originally a very large Victorian house, the terrace house was extended in the 60's to bring it up to modern living standards, which also our current house was and recently we extended it further for a modern style of living. When on holiday most tourist attractions is where the place has kept its origins intact and all improvements have been sympathetic to its origins, though I guess some may prefer concrete jungles   

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

In Torquay look at Lloyds bank which is now refurbished by Prezzo keeping the old architecture making a lovely place to eat in and very well complimented by good food, totally opposite to the Pizza Express establishment down the road, which is best not commented further

A particularly successful example as you say, and the manager/owner/maître d' is easy company, too, we find. And chez moi is about 1850, I am told. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My current property is nearly 100 years old, our old terrace house must be 120+ and our first flat being 100+ years old. All are still standing and in good repair, our old flat was originally a very large Victorian house, the terrace house was extended in the 60's to bring it up to modern living standards, which also our current house was and recently we extended it further for a modern style of living. When on holiday most tourist attractions is where the place has kept its origins intact and all improvements have been sympathetic to its origins, though I guess some may prefer concrete jungles   

Completely agree with the sentiment although there's probably something to be said that the old buildings we've still got look better built by observation bias, the badly built examples mostly having fallen down long ago (or being flattened by the German air force, but being literally bombproof is asking a bit too much!)

• Like 2

Jim

It may not have any historical significance to you, but it may to others.

Be thankful we live in a country that values the past unlike say Canada who only woke up to the fact that a lot of their history had been bulldozed in the name of progress.

Gordon A

Look at what happened to poor old Guido Fawkes when he attempted to renovate the Houses of Parliament

I would hang him if he had succeeded destroying the Houses if Parliament, as to getting rid of a number of politicians???

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

I'm studying civil engineering, and it's been an eye opener in how short some new build properties are designed to last, 60 years in the case of some housing, so I'm all for keeping what's Already been built and reusing them, as it's just a massive waste of resources to keep pulling reusable buildings down.

I'm studying civil engineering, and it's been an eye opener in how short some new build properties are designed to last, 60 years in the case of some housing, so I'm all for keeping what's Already been built and reusing them, as it's just a massive waste of resources to keep pulling reusable buildings down.

Think about the prefab buildings after the war, many are loved by their owners/occupiers despite efforts to flatten them. As for designing in a limited lifespan, what a waste

• RMweb Premium

Think about the prefab buildings after the war, many are loved by their owners/occupiers despite efforts to flatten them. As for designing in a limited lifespan, what a waste

Makes economic sense at the time and causes big headaches later. We seem to be hitting the sort of time when a lot of motorway bridges are coming to the end of their design lives... People might grumble about the old railway infrastructure but at least the methods meant it lasts so doesn't dump that headache on us, even if it comes with a maintenance bill.

Makes economic sense at the time and causes big headaches later. We seem to be hitting the sort of time when a lot of motorway bridges are coming to the end of their design lives... People might grumble about the old railway infrastructure but at least the methods meant it lasts so doesn't dump that headache on us, even if it comes with a maintenance bill.

At Thornaby on Tees the Surtees bridge on the A66 was built new in the late 1970's and lasted till about 5 years ago (2012) when it was quietly demolished and rebuilt. The original railway bridge on the former slow lines was also demolished and replaced but used the original piles for the central support!

The line was diverted over the new bridge and the other one is now out of use pending the building of the mythical Tees Valley Light Rail/rapid transit/Metro.

• RMweb Premium

Modern builds other than prestige types are rubbish. Maybe ok shells but internally they are very flimsy.

Our house roof has needed a lot of re seating of ridge tiles and when I was shown the woodwork under some of the tiling I was disgusted at the poor quality. Built 1998! Will be falling down in 50 years.

There is some stupid tax problem with converting older buildings and I believe this is why many are just flattened?

Today I was shown around a beautiful house in Malvern Wells, built in the mid 1800s. Solid can magnificent. Ok it has needed lots of renovation and tidying up, but it has history and is now alive and well and enjoying yet another chapter in it's life. I didn't say so earlier but I will now; being concerned about old stuff is good and making a comment about whimsical sentimentality is just crass and rather thoughtless. Be ashamed, very ashamed.

• Like 1

Modern builds other than prestige types are rubbish. Maybe ok shells but internally they are very flimsy.

Our house roof has needed a lot of re seating of ridge tiles and when I was shown the woodwork under some of the tiling I was disgusted at the poor quality. Built 1998! Will be falling down in 50 years.

There is some stupid tax problem with converting older buildings and I believe this is why many are just flattened?

Today I was shown around a beautiful house in Malvern Wells, built in the mid 1800s. Solid can magnificent. Ok it has needed lots of renovation and tidying up, but it has history and is now alive and well and enjoying yet another chapter in it's life. I didn't say so earlier but I will now; being concerned about old stuff is good and making a comment about whimsical sentimentality is just crass and rather thoughtless. Be ashamed, very ashamed.

New build is VAT free but add an extension or refurbish and its 20% extra!

Good job our forebears did not take the same attitude in building the railways !!!

• RMweb Premium

Good job our forebears did not take the same attitude in building the railways !!!

I suppose at the time there were only two choices - build something that'll last a winter, two if you're lucky, or something that'll pretty much last forever if looked after. The techniques and materials didn't really exist for anything else. And there were probably quite a few cases where they thought they were building the latter and got the former.
  • Like 1