Hattons Wholesale

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

I was delighted to learn today that my 'local' - Alton Model Centre is going to stock Hatton's exclusives. I have been thinking of ordering some more Warwells and now I can pick up some more whilst making a visit to Paul for other bits and pieces. I think it's the obvious development for Hattons, this will greatly increase the exposure of their own products to the general public who do not regularly buy modelling magazines or read RMweb - and there are more of them than whose of us who do realise.

Or perhaps, now, their not so exclusives?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A very good development.

It could open the door to limited editions (more Barclays please) to Hattons trade customers and it would certainly de-risk other new tooling projects to have access to a wider trade base.

I hope this venture works out Hattons have made some very cool commissions, and whilst Hattons, huge as it is, doesn’t reach every avenue, giving access to these areas (model railway shows, retailers, preserved railways etc etc) via wider network where buyers are ad-hoc and less aware of Hattons is a good thing. (I bet at least a handful of people saw Katie running on the Great Model Railway challenge yesterday thinking where on earth did they get a working Barclay).

Over the years Hattons have commissioned more toolings that several manufacturers (Oxford, DJM come to mind), so this is a good next step.

I hope this encourages further commissions that helps make a tooling an attractive investment, that otherwise we might not see from any of the major manufacturers touch and gives wider reach for the shop with otherwise unusual models.

Win win.

Roll on a class 104 please..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Let me start by saying, I am aware that the stocking of exclusive models from other shops and groups has been going on for sometime and I don't really care who stocks what, from where.

However, I am going to make myself look incredibly dim, when I say, I don't see how allowing other shops sell your exclusive models, is going to mean you sell more items - unless you are getting cold feet over what you've commissioned and are looking to offload some of the pain? 

In this day and age, who needs more than 1 store selling a particular exclusive model? Surely, a very large % of purchasers have access to Hattons as either a shop you visit, an online retailer or a retailer who accepts telephone orders (if you see their advert in the press or online).

For me personally, I have bought, and have on pre-order, a number of Kernow Model Centre exclusives - why am I going to hope or wait for the day that another retailer is going to stock that item?   

I think that there are a lot of people who want support their local model shop, but it the model you want is only available from one at the other end of the country this is a bit hard to do. This way you can support your local shops by buying Hattons products there.

• RMweb Gold

Noticed Hattons have discounted Andrew Barclay, Katie, to £89 both on ebay and their website.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/312312/Hattons_Originals_H4_AB16_003_Andrew_Barclay_0_4_0ST_16_2226_Katie_in_lined_maroon/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andrew-Barclay-0-4-0ST-16-2226-Katie-in-lined-maroon/232967292051?hash=item363deec493:g:30YAAOSwuWJbxLNZ

Is this the same for the “new retail” network too ?

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, adb968008 said:

To answer this somewhat belatedly....I don't know if they have also discounted the wholesale price...but "Katie" is now available in my local model shop, and at the same price as Hattons.