ex LNWR Platform Building

• RMweb Gold

Haha indeed! It was built during two phases of illness (first one was me, second is my wife!). The actual building probably took a few day in total spread over several weeks when I was I'll a few years ago. The second phase of detailing, lighting etc was done over the last week or so while my wife has been I'll, probably two days total. Bottom line, total time including painting to get here was about a week I.e. 8houts for 5 days ish!!

Apologies for my spelling!

Very nice. Did you base the building on Holywell or is the name a coincidence?

I painted the three buildings for London Road in LNWR colours. I also used the Wills slate and LRM valances as well as the etched brackets.  I made double doors for the Booking Office, by modifying the GJ door panels. 

The shelter in the foreground is from a Clockwork Ideas laser cut LNWR kit.

post-1191-0-91445500-1540299954_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Wow! Thanks guys. Weathering is stage 3 if I can bring myself to it!

Loved the Model you showed Nil. I am a Learner and a bit strapped for time but yes it's loosely based on Holywell where I was born and brought up on (dad was last station master)!

If you are not confident at weathering, then why not build something very simple, maybe from card & weather that first? It won't matter if you get it wrong.

• RMweb Gold
The last Station Master of Holywell....... Sounds like an article for the LNWR Journal to me......

Your scratch build is absolutely superb

Best

David[/quote

Indeed! Dad was the last station master I actually found photos of him on the internet some years ago at an award ceremony for the transport staff. I was staggered! I am thinking of a book but material might be hard to come by. I have a fair bit but not sure of the quality. If LNWRS get in touch, I'll happily provide some words etc....

• Like 1

Hi sorry if I'm being a bit thick but was that a mis-prunt about clockwork ideas?

If you search for Gt.Shefford here on RMweb, you will find him.

For example;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138485-usp-5000c-new-kit-from-clockwork-ideas/

I believe the LNWR shelter may have been done as a commission. I saw one on the CI demo stand at a show and ordered one.

Well done!!  An article on building for the LNWRS publications would be good too!  I have a pile of these parts and this is just the inspiration I need!!

Peter

Peter,

there was an article in Railway Modeller some time ago on using the GJR panels, including fabrication the canopy brackets from plastic sheet. These are now available as etches, together with etched valances, from London Road Models.

Assembling the panels is easy, but you need a plan of a building (I created my own). A good floor is essential to  give longitudinal straightness and rigidity. The roofs are removable and "slot" into place. They have  a ceiling panel which projected as shown and provided a location for the canopy beams which slotted onto it a a slight angle to match the brackets. The ceiling gave a base for the roof structure.

post-1191-0-19265500-1540413172_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-84425100-1540413197_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent.

I'm building something similar for my new layout.

But I'm basing the roof and valance on Belmont on the Harrow & Wealdstone to Stanmore branch.

Well done.

Dear All,

What do you think? It's my first true attempt at creating a building from scratch. Sadly cannot take a good piccie of the interior detail. I used:

Plain Card

Grand Junction Panels

Wills Roofing slates and building detailing kit

Scalescenes signage and posters

London road roof supports

Evergreen plastic strip (various)

Assorted Acrylic Paints

3 LED lights for interior lighting

Constructive abuse only please!

Cheers

M

Well as I am the Chairman of the LNWRS I will send you a PM 

David

Best

David[/quote

Indeed! Dad was the last station master I actually found photos of him on the internet some years ago at an award ceremony for the transport staff. I was staggered! I am thinking of a book but material might be hard to come by. I have a fair bit but not sure of the quality. If LNWRS get in touch, I'll happily provide some words etc....

• RMweb Premium

Peter,

there was an article in Railway Modeller some time ago on using the GJR panels, including fabrication the canopy brackets from plastic sheet. These are now available as etches, together with etched valances, from London Road Models.

An article on the GJR panels also appeared in MRJ No. 90 & followed up in 91.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

I've had a bash at another 4mm station building, loosely based on Holywell Junction in North Wales. This time, it's a cardboard scratchbuild of an LNWR platform subway. Holywell Junction had three of these linking the three platform structures. Its all card based on templates that I created ages ago but never got around to building. The only bit that isnt card are the windows which were printed on old fashioned overhead projector film straight out of a powerpoint file I created. This gives you dirty looking windows with thin vertical wooden partitions between the glass panes. Now to build a second subway.....wish me luck!

If anyone likes this and would like to have a go themselves, I am happy to share the templates and powerpoint file - just PM me.

Cheers and have fun!

Ps the light does work....

1623052059_subwayside.jpg.2e37ed8d31a2353d16f7efd2f6362b5b.jpg565664851_subwayfront.jpg.27cbf88ec139d72a474eac6a6ce6679e.jpg43154619_subwayrear.jpg.0a6ddb73249f3f98022c2ca51e7af5e3.jpg

Edited by holywell junction
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1