Wishlist poll - industrial locomotive additional

Come to think of it there is nothing on my wish list - I've always enjoyed the fact that in the industrial world, if you want one you will have to make it somehow or other. Separates the Men from the boys and the Women from the girls does it not? Or am I hopelessly out of touch??

I sort of agree and sympathise. Narrow gauge and industrial stuff is a bastion of modelling and creativity compared to some prototype choices partly because you can't just buy a boxload of stock and buildings, assemble it on your laser cut baseboard and be done.

That doesn't mean a little RTR would automatically be a bad thing, it might be enough to tempt some folk away from shiny green and chocolate and cream stuff.

• Like 1

First off, Dave's idea for this list is a damn good thing.

There have been some very salient points made.

The Garrett will always be a discussion point, I run a Backwoods model already so don't need one.

Baz's point about kits in production is well made, so my choices are for locomotives that have never seen the light as kits.

Eyes Down, here we go. 

Steam.

1876-1899- The Lewin engine from Seaham Harbour. I know Impetus made a kit, I run one, but we ain't going to see that again and I think purely on the georgeous factor this would work.

1900-1922- North Staffs Railway New L Class 0-6-2. My list, my choices!!!! I realise this is a mainline locomotive, but it spent more years in service with Bridgewater Collieries than the mainline!!! One is preserved at Shildon. I and my late father had three footplate trips on this engine. I have an intimate connection with these locos and would definitely buy at least one. I also realise that Chilton Iron Works were supposedly going to kit this beast but that never happened! As an aside, I'd love to know wether anybody on this forum has bought and then built one of their kits.

1923-1945-Hunslet 50550. I'm in the process of doing Corbs conversion on Dapol Austerity saddle tanks. That shows how easy it would be to produce this engine. Now yes, I can hear you all shouting at me.

Chris, it is just an Austerity with small wheels!!

Maybe, but the weany wheels and the deep buffer beams create a more brutal loco!! 

1946 onwards. Easy, one of the S&L 'Uglies'!!!!! I went to agric college with a really lovely guy called Charlie Mason whose Dad drove No62 at Corby. I have happy memories of the Uglies on the Worth Valley. They were the engine missing for me at the anniversary week earlier this year.

One more personal choice!

My Wierd Steam Choices? Naismith Wilson 0-8-0 from Gin Pit. 'Barclay' has built a lovely model of this engine, I have had two goes at doing one using photos. Both were awful!!!!! I will persevere!!!!

Crane engine? One of the Stanton Barclays or a weird Black Hawthorn crane from Consett. There is a photo in the first Industrial Steam Album and I believe there is a 2-4-0 at Beamish. I will check that out next year.

Oh yes, a 'Traction Engine Loco'. As per Sirapite or Blue Circle. I'd love to see how a company would make that move!!!!!!!!!!!

Petrol. I freely admit, my industrial education is sadly lacking in the case of petrol locos. I will say Motorail? I will now run away and hide from this!!!

Diesel 1923-1945. The sexy early stuff is kitted, so I'll stay away from that! OK, the Hibberd version of the motorail.

sorry about the sideways shot, I can't get it round!!

1945-1966- MSC locos. Both Hudswell Clarke. The little beast is an obvious reuse of an 04 powerdrive. The biggun, well, the 'Castles' were a two loco class. I think you could reuse an 08 powerdrive. Once again, a personal thing. I have travelled in the cab of these locos!!!

After 1966? Again, my education is lacking in that area!!

Those are my choices. I await being shot down, but that is what this sort of thing is about!!!

Keep on posting!! I'm really enjoying this forum!!!

Chris.

post-17261-0-07414200-1540395584_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-77672600-1540395725_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-20195600-1540395798_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Come to think of it there is nothing on my wish list - I've always enjoyed the fact that in the industrial world, if you want one you will have to make it somehow or other. Separates the Men from the boys and the Women from the girls does it not? Or am I hopelessly out of touch??

Funnily enough I agree with a lot of that and because of that my personal choices would be things that aren't available as kits. I enjoy scratch and kit building but if someone's going to do all the hard work and let me just open a box I'm not going to complain - after all there are hundreds of prototypes that I would like to have as models and not enough time to build them all, so anything RTR that's not already covered by a kit, and I haven't already built, can only be a bonus. 

There's also the fact that not everyone can build locomotives themselves and anything that gets more people interested in proper industrials, instead of repainting a Hornby L&Y pug and calling it an 'industrial' has got to be good. Also, if it helps to get people to appreciate that the prototypes were real locomotives, built by real companies that had as much, if not more, history than Swindon, Crewe, Ashford, Doncaster etc. then it can only be a good thing too.

• Like 3

H Folks,

What about the LH&JC 0-62 tank engines No.5 and No. 29?

https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-5

https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-29-peggy

I noted mention of the North Staffs 0-6-2 in an earlier post and wondered if the same chassis might do both the LH&JC and NSR types.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have thought about a Manchester Ship Canal 4002 built from a class 08/09 chassis, but that is for another day.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo675

H Folks,

What about the LH&JC 0-62 tank engines No.5 and No. 29?

https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-5

https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-29-peggy

I noted mention of the North Staffs 0-6-2 in an earlier post and wondered if the same chassis might do both the LH&JC and NSR types.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have thought about a Manchester Ship Canal 4002 built from a class 08/09 chassis, but that is for another day.

Gibbo

It'd make more sense to do the ex taff vale one.

• Like 1

I would like to make a general comment on some of the suggestions so far:

A new rtr industrial has surely got to be a prototype with a healthy selection of liveries (worn during their working lives) and loco identities to choose from. I feel this has already been evidenced with those already chosen/announced thus far from Hornby/Hattons et al. 

It will need to sell in its hundreds every time a new livery/variation is released. With industrial locos there is not the luxury of ubiquity as there might be with a Riddles 4MT (other mixed traffic locos are available) and so the liveries will need to be varied and appealing as this is key to supplying a steady stream of sales for the next 10-15 years for a manufacturer. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

On the kit front I'm already working on a Hudswell, the MDHB ones rather than MSC though and I've now got drawings from Statfold for the two big DEs which have been in our wishlist for some time. If anyone can find a drawing for the Nasmyth Wilson 0-8-0T I would be happy to produce a kit for it.

Funnily enough I agree with a lot of that and because of that my personal choices would be things that aren't available as kits. I enjoy scratch and kit building but if someone's going to do all the hard work and let me just open a box I'm not going to complain - after all there are hundreds of prototypes that I would like to have as models and not enough time to build them all, so anything RTR that's not already covered by a kit, and I haven't already built, can only be a bonus. 

There's also the fact that not everyone can build locomotives themselves and anything that gets more people interested in proper industrials, instead of repainting a Hornby L&Y pug and calling it an 'industrial' has got to be good. Also, if it helps to get people to appreciate that the prototypes were real locomotives, built by real companies that had as much, if not more, history than Swindon, Crewe, Ashford, Doncaster etc. then it can only be a good thing too.

Realistically, there are so many industrial types out there that RTR manufacturers will barely scratch the surface of the industrial scene, even if they produced nothing new but industrials. Even with prototypes that do get produced ready-to-run, there will be variations that the manufacturers don't produce because they're too specific. Industrial lines will always have plenty of room for those who want to kit- and scratchbuild. RTR industrials could even act as a gateway to get people started on other forms of modelling - bashing a Peckett or Barclay to get the prototype you want.

As an aside, I wonder how many people who bought the Peckett did so because they were industrial modellers, and how many bought it because they just thought it was a really neat little loco? And how many of them, having bought one, went on to more industrial modelling?

On the kit front I'm already working on a Hudswell, the MDHB ones rather than MSC though and I've now got drawings from Statfold for the two big DEs which have been in our wishlist for some time. If anyone can find a drawing for the Nasmyth Wilson 0-8-0T I would be happy to produce a kit for it.

Dave,

I think there are a set of drawings somewhere, for the Naismith 0-8-0. I also think the keeper of said drawings is a little bit iffy about letting them out in the world.

As for the 'Castles', please do the kit!! I'll put my name down for one right now!!

C.

• RMweb Gold

Realistically, there are so many industrial types out there that RTR manufacturers will barely scratch the surface of the industrial scene, even if they produced nothing new but industrials. Even with prototypes that do get produced ready-to-run, there will be variations that the manufacturers don't produce because they're too specific. 

Hello HonestTom

That is, indeed, the nub of the problem we faced.

The Poll is aimed at modellers and collectors and they might range from 'Day 1 Beginner' to 'Expert'. If you go too specific with the listings, you might actually lose voters.

And there is some evidence - ancedotal at least - that with some 'main line types', there have often been several kits available over the years, and they are often those which have gone on to have models made. 

Not an easy task!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

The Poll is aimed at modellers and collectors and they might range from 'Day 1 Beginner' to 'Expert'. If you go too specific with the listings, you might actually lose voters.

For those unfamiliar, one term it is known by is Choice Overload(*), and a quote from Wikipedia about it:

When confronted with too many choices especially under a time constraint, many people prefer to make no choice at all, even if making a choice would lead to a better outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overchoice

As an aside, I wonder how many people who bought the Peckett did so because they were industrial modellers, and how many bought it because they just thought it was a really neat little loco? And how many of them, having bought one, went on to more industrial modelling?

There is I believe no reliable published data, but comments from both manufacturers and retailers over the years indicated that 80% or more of sales are to people who are not into prototype modelling but who instead purchase a model based on how it appeals to them.

In the case of the Peckett, a lot of sales would have been because it was a cut little engine and while some buyers may have more of an industrial interest now you would probably find most buyers using it to pull 2 mk1 coaches or similar.

However, we should remember to be thankful to these impulse / non-prototype modellers as they create the viable market for our more accurate or niche style models.

Thus eye appeal is probably just as important to a decision to manufacture as is multiple liveries, and while it may rub some people the wrong way the most suitable models are likely already available as kits - there is after all a reason they are already available as kits and that is their appeal to the buyer.

• Like 1

I am rather hopeful that given the success of the Hornby Sentinels and Golden Valley/Oxford Janus that it may prompt some interest from others as their are others out there waiting in the postwar diesels!

Mark Saunders

Well yes. 

One of the projects in my pile is the Bagnall DL2 which is basically a Bagnall "Drewry".  The majority of the small class had a dimensionally identical chassis to the Drewry 204hp 0-6-0,

https://lincolnshirewoldsrailway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/3151.jpg

I have finally decided on my own choices that I would like to see included in the poll..

Steam - 1875--1899

Manning Wardle Class L 0-6-0ST. My reasons for this are that it's not an Old I or a K (kits are already available for those) and are slightly larger than those types but are still quite small and so would fit easily into just about any layout situation. Over 100 standard gauge examples were built between 1874 and 1919, A lot were built for contractors so would have a very large geographic area of use and in subsequent use would were dispersed over a wide area and were used in many different industries. They lasted in use for many years and there are examples preserved today. So they could be suitable for anyone modelling from the 1870s up until the 1960s. There are numerous liveries and names that could be applied to the model, not to mention variation in cabless/cab styles that could be altered with minimal extra tooling. Also, they are Manning Wardles and I like them!

post-494-0-30363200-1540497391_thumb.jpg

Steam 1900 - 1922

The 0-4-0WT types built by E. Borrows and also by Kerr Stuart. Not very common and slightly more unusual than a side or saddletank but full of character. Small and very suitable for any micro layout and any type of industry that doesn't demand large locomotives. Several examples preserved. "Cuteness" factor.

post-494-0-07875300-1540497810_thumb.jpg

Steam 1923 - 1945

Hunslet Engine Co. 16-inch 0-4-0T An interesting design that looks powerful and purposeful. Being an 0-4-0 it isn't too large and could conceivebly fit in many layouts and cover many industries. There were only 3 built but I don't think this is a reason not to have it, after all, most of us model fictional places, so would remove the printed nameplates that identify it as one particular loco anyway. One thing in its favour for those that would keep the factory livery was that one of them was owned by chocolate manufactuer Cadbury and was painted in their maroon colour with the company name painted in large letters on the tanks. Surely one to start off chocolate factory layouts in the same way as the Hornby Peckett started off a few biscuit factory layouts. My 7mm scale model below.

post-494-0-90038700-1540498479.jpg

Petrol - 1900-1922

For this I would choose the 0-4-0 locomotives built by Manning Wardle for the Ministry of Munitions in 1916 and 1918. I don't think that any petrol locos of the period were made in great numbers so the 10 built were probably one of the more numerous. Some went to France and some were used at home. Some of both types were used in industry after WW1. Could appeal to those modelling military and R.O.D. railways as well as industrial post-war.

post-494-0-61839700-1540499164.jpg

Diesel - 1923 - 1945

It has to be a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM. There were various specific types but pick any one and I'd buy it. They lasted into the 1960s/70s in industrial use, several preserved. Small, cute and there is no kit or RTR available.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Industrial/Ind-DE/i-8zzgkz5/0/2b9703d0/L/llang-L.jpg

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/middleton_htm_files/78.jpg

https://ribblesteamrailway.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/hudswell-clarke-d629-of-1945.jpg

1946 - 1966

F.C. Hibberd 4wDM. Reasonably numerous, many liveries to go at but there are actually several different classes if you look in detail. Any one would do. No kit or RTR currently available (The Roxey kit is of a much earlier design that was originally based on a J&F Howard design)

post-494-0-12995900-1540500659.jpg

1966 onwards.

Hunslet 0-6-0DH. Used by different industries but mainly the coal and steel industry. Many livery possibilities and in use from the 1960s until possibly the present day.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Industrial-Operational/i-7BVXmc8/0/a780d2d8/L/6663%20%28078%29%20Hunslet%200-6-0DH%20Milford%20Haven%20Sept%202011-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Miscellaneous-Diesel-Locos/i-PPLKW4H/0/315d4043/L/7017%20%2829%29%20Hunslet%200-6-0DH%20-%20Flixborough%20Wharf%2026.05.12-L.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1476/26150839394_892eb44fdc_b.jpg

post-494-0-30363200-1540497391_thumb.jpg

post-494-0-07875300-1540497810_thumb.jpg

post-494-0-90038700-1540498479.jpg

post-494-0-61839700-1540499164.jpg

post-494-0-12995900-1540500659.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

I think there are a set of drawings somewhere, for the Naismith 0-8-0. I also think the keeper of said drawings is a little bit iffy about letting them out in the world.

As for the 'Castles', please do the kit!! I'll put my name down for one right now!!

C.

I've heard something like this before, amazing how helpful some people can be. The big Hudswell will appear at some point.

I've heard something like this before, amazing how helpful some people can be. The big Hudswell will appear at some point.

I'll look forward to it.

See you at Manchester, all being well.

C.

I have finally decided on my own choices that I would like to see included in the poll..

Steam - 1875--1899

Manning Wardle Class L 0-6-0ST. My reasons for this are that it's not an Old I or a K (kits are already available for those) and are slightly larger than those types but are still quite small and so would fit easily into just about any layout situation. Over 100 standard gauge examples were built between 1874 and 1919, A lot were built for contractors so would have a very large geographic area of use and in subsequent use would were dispersed over a wide area and were used in many different industries. They lasted in use for many years and there are examples preserved today. So they could be suitable for anyone modelling from the 1870s up until the 1960s. There are numerous liveries and names that could be applied to the model, not to mention variation in cabless/cab styles that could be altered with minimal extra tooling. Also, they are Manning Wardles and I like them!

attachicon.gifMiddleton2012-068.jpg

Steam 1900 - 1922

The 0-4-0WT types built by E. Borrows and also by Kerr Stuart. Not very common and slightly more unusual than a side or saddletank but full of character. Small and very suitable for any micro layout and any type of industry that doesn't demand large locomotives. Several examples preserved. "Cuteness" factor.

attachicon.gifChasewater2018-007.jpg

Steam 1923 - 1945

Hunslet Engine Co. 16-inch 0-4-0T An interesting design that looks powerful and purposeful. Being an 0-4-0 it isn't too large and could conceivebly fit in many layouts and cover many industries. There were only 3 built but I don't think this is a reason not to have it, after all, most of us model fictional places, so would remove the printed nameplates that identify it as one particular loco anyway. One thing in its favour for those that would keep the factory livery was that one of them was owned by chocolate manufactuer Cadbury and was painted in their maroon colour with the company name painted in large letters on the tanks. Surely one to start off chocolate factory layouts in the same way as the Hornby Peckett started off a few biscuit factory layouts. My 7mm scale model below.

attachicon.gifpost-494-0-80637300-1501018887.jpg

Petrol - 1900-1922

For this I would choose the 0-4-0 locomotives built by Manning Wardle for the Ministry of Munitions in 1916 and 1918. I don't think that any petrol locos of the period were made in great numbers so the 10 built were probably one of the more numerous. Some went to France and some were used at home. Some of both types were used in industry after WW1. Could appeal to those modelling military and R.O.D. railways as well as industrial post-war.

attachicon.gifMWpost-494-0-75367100-1519586857.jpg

Diesel - 1923 - 1945

It has to be a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM. There were various specific types but pick any one and I'd buy it. They lasted into the 1960s/70s in industrial use, several preserved. Small, cute and there is no kit or RTR available.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Industrial/Ind-DE/i-8zzgkz5/0/2b9703d0/L/llang-L.jpg

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/middleton_htm_files/78.jpg

https://ribblesteamrailway.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/hudswell-clarke-d629-of-1945.jpg

1946 - 1966

F.C. Hibberd 4wDM. Reasonably numerous, many liveries to go at but there are actually several different classes if you look in detail. Any one would do. No kit or RTR currently available (The Roxey kit is of a much earlier design that was originally based on a J&F Howard design)

attachicon.gifFH3677@Tinsleywire_Mar89.jpg

1966 onwards.

Hunslet 0-6-0DH. Used by different industries but mainly the coal and steel industry. Many livery possibilities and in use from the 1960s until possibly the present day.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Industrial-Operational/i-7BVXmc8/0/a780d2d8/L/6663%20%28078%29%20Hunslet%200-6-0DH%20Milford%20Haven%20Sept%202011-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Miscellaneous-Diesel-Locos/i-PPLKW4H/0/315d4043/L/7017%20%2829%29%20Hunslet%200-6-0DH%20-%20Flixborough%20Wharf%2026.05.12-L.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1476/26150839394_892eb44fdc_b.jpg

Can't fault you for any of those!!

The Hunslet was another Bridgewater Collieries loco. Based at Cleworth Hall Colliery.

There was a Hibberd at Taylors Asbestos Cement on Trafford Park that I knew well.

C.

• RMweb Gold

For those unfamiliar, one term it is known by is Choice Overload(*), and a quote from Wikipedia about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overchoice

Hello mdvle

If I recall rightly, when this Team was tasked in 2012 by the then editor of the old MREmag, Pat Hammond, to 'rationalise the content', the 2011 Poll had had some 1400 items listed. In the 2011 results, the 70 or so GWR Locos scored 1 vote or more but a further 43 polled 0 votes. The same sort of result could be seen across all the categories.

We have tried hard to have a balanced approach across the categories, bearing in mind the size of the original railway companies and BR regions. We whittled away at the content to attain relevance and the 2018 Poll has 778 items.

A major addition to the Polls was the introduction of The Guide. We felt this was essential to help those more towards the ‘beginner’ end of the spectrum to make more informed choices. And then, in 2013 – at the suggestion of a voter – we started adding ‘links’. In 2014 – again at the request of voters – we added Standard Gauge Industrial and London Underground.

So…what I am saying here is that The Poll is not simply ‘a static list of stuff’, but a chance to learn and see how other modellers and collectors are voting.

If (and it’s still only an ‘if’) the Industrial category is amended to be more specific, then we will need:

1. A clear heading for each item
  2. A few lines of comment putting the item in context (brief history, quantity built, locations etc)
  3. A couple or more photo links.

A look at The Guide will show the general style.

Note for Ruston:

I’m not being obtuse here – just playing devil’s advocate – but I notice in your choices you refer to one of the steam locos as having different cab styles and the diesels having (quote) ‘various types’ and ‘anyone would do’.

How will you know which of those variations voters will prefer if you don’t list them specifically? Are you not still listing generically but under a different name?

I only mention it as your original comment about our current list was that it was generic rather than specific.

Edited by BMacdermott

• RMweb Gold

An intriguing conundrum it seems. But it is hardly surprising. A mainline railway might order 50 or 100 identical copies of a class of loco, and at least at delivery they will all be pretty similar, while mods and improvements will generally be applied across multiple copies, if not the whole class.

Industrial locos, by comparison, are inevitably supplied in smaller batches, if not penny numbers, to each customer. Substantial customisation is offered and expected, to suit the many and varied circumstances of each customer's operations. Is it thus simply more difficult to identify a "plain vanilla" version of an industrial "class" for the poll to offer?

• RMweb Gold

An intriguing conundrum it seems. But it is hardly surprising. A mainline railway might order 50 or 100 identical copies of a class of loco, and at least at delivery they will all be pretty similar, while mods and improvements will generally be applied across multiple copies, if not the whole class.

The LMS Stanier class 5 4-6-0 suggests that this is not necessarily the case... ;)

Industrial locos, by comparison, are inevitably supplied in smaller batches, if not penny numbers, to each customer. Substantial customisation is offered and expected, to suit the many and varied circumstances of each customer's operations. Is it thus simply more difficult to identify a "plain vanilla" version of an industrial "class" for the poll to offer?

That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Most manufacturers offered a selection of standard designs, with some variations of detail. This offers the model manufacturer some interesting options, with potentially a base model designed to accommodate detail variations, including different cabs, etc.

Even if the (major) model manufacturer doesn’t go down this road, there is scope for the individual modeller to customise the RTR offering, with or without after-market small suppliers. I know that some will complain that they can’t make modifications, but given a choice between a base model which covers the most common version of the prototype or nothing at all, then...

The other matter to consider is if anything in the existing range can contribute components to a new model. For example, if instead of the Peckett 0-4-0ST, it had been a Manning, Wardle F class, then the wheel patterns could be used for an L class, etc. (Not suggesting that Hornby made a bad choice, by the way, just illustrating the point.)

Then there is the third option. If you can garner enough support in the form of say 400 definite pre-orders, approach one of the larger retailers such as Kernow or Hattons to see if they can help with commissioning a limited run model. Or talk directly with a major manufacturer about creating a limited run initial batch, which then goes into their range.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

Thanks for writing.

It is, indeed, a challenging conundrum and - if Ruston etc can succeed - then it will be highly rewarding. The Team fully supports the process and will do its utmost to help and facilitate, but it will be a Team decision as to what eventually appears in 2019. I am but one of nine (although some of a certain age may prefer seven of nine!).

As you will have seen on the N Poll thread, I alluded to the - seemingly - specific listing of the GWR Metro Tank. However, a look at the Guide notes will show that there are many variants within that class such as: build years; wheelbases; tank sizes; PP-fitted or not; ATC-fitted or not; cab styles; and so on. It could warrant about a dozen separate entries!

Never easy, but we have that loco on the Agenda to see if we can be more specific in the future.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

Most manufacturers offered a selection of standard designs, with some variations of detail. This offers the model manufacturer some interesting options, with potentially a base model designed to accommodate detail variations, including different cabs, etc.

Hello Regularity

I am no expert on Industrials, but have you hit a nail on a head there? 

Would a viable list be 'maker standard catalogue designs'?

The variants, liveries, locations, uses etc could be explained in The Guide notes.

Note for Ruston:

I’m not being obtuse here – just playing devil’s advocate – but I notice in your choices you refer to one of the steam locos as having different cab styles and the diesels having (quote) ‘various types’ and ‘anyone would do’.

How will you know which of those variations voters will prefer if you don’t list them specifically? Are you not still listing generically but under a different name?

I only mention it as your original comment about our current list was that it was generic rather than specific.

You could show me a photo of any Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM and I could tell you that it's a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM but unless I could read the works plate or deduce the identity from any company ownwership markings I wouldn't know exactly which one I'm looking at. What I am saying is that I'm not bothered which exact one, so long as it is a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM. Personally speaking I model fictional locations anyway so plastering in a company name down the side is a nuisance. It's like the Hattons Barclays - some are in a works or more generic livery and some tie them down to a specific place. The Burnley Gasworks one for example - how many of those that are sold are actually to people modelling Burnley gasworks?

You don't always need to be so specific when it comes to a type. Those Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DMs each look subtly different. I doubt that the makers gave them class names. Some manufacturers did give their types class names, such as Ruston & Hornsby and Peckett but not all did. So by saying Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM it allows people to know what they look like, what their size and power, and possible traffic they could have handled is. Which particular one would be produced by a model manufactuer would be down them them and I guess that would depend on the availibility of drawings and access to one to measure up.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1