SSA wagons

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I have always liked Bachmann’s SSA wagon but as I model the current scene, I always thought that they had long been withdrawn. I was surprised to hear over the weekend that they are still with us but no longer in their pale blue livery. Is this correct?

Correct. The remaining examples are all rebodied examples (a few original bodied examples did gain EWS livery, not sure if any still survive now) and all carry a rather battered EWS livery. 

This is a fairly typical example of one these days:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153712773@N08/45298892392/

There are still 83 of them on TOPS, but a lot aren't active.

Edited by llamafish
  • Like 1

They were a common sight in the Cardiff area as both the original 'Standard Railfreight' owned POA and later rebuilt EWS owned SSA, but I haven't seen any here in some time.

A number were sold to Celsa (UK), for use at their Tremorfa Works, Cardiff.

The bodies were removed and bolsters fitted over each axle.

So rebuilt, they are used for carrying billets from the Electric Arc Furnace 'billet bank' to a nearby mill, a journey of only a couple of hundred yards.

• Like 1

When did they first appear? I’m doing a steel works set in the late 80’s/early 90’s and wondered if they were current then?

The first ones would have been about 1982 or so. At about that time, having heard there were some new scrap wagons imminent, I wrote to Standard Wagon at Heywood, asking if there was a possibility of some drawings. I thought no more of it until, several months later, the postman arrived with a very large envelope containing several drawings of the different variants. I dashed off a 'thank you', only to read that the works had just shut.

The first twenty used 'repurposed' underframe, IIRC, whilst later builds had deeper solebars and very conspicuous brackets between floor and solebar.

There’s a good series of articles in the MRC from the early 80s. I started building a model of one of the earlier ones with the ribs that didn’t go to the corners. Then Cambrian introduced their kit and I still hadn’t finished but luckily it was the later variant. Then I had a modelling dark age and came back to find Bachmann had done it to. Wonder if I still have the bits?

When did they first appear? I’m doing a steel works set in the late 80’s/early 90’s and wondered if they were current then?

The ones that are at Celsa are the rebodied ones now devoid of bodies which were rebodied circa 1989. The previous ones were on 45 to tank chassis and later on HEA chassis that had came via Onllwyn Open Cast Disposal Point!

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/alliedsteelwire

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24398&start=75

Mark Saunders

Edited by Mark Saunders

There’s a good series of articles in the MRC from the early 80s. I started building a model of one of the earlier ones with the ribs that didn’t go to the corners. Then Cambrian introduced their kit and I still hadn’t finished but luckily it was the later variant. Then I had a modelling dark age and came back to find Bachmann had done it to. Wonder if I still have the bits?

Mann, Trevor., (l986) Modern P O wagons Railease 'POA' open scrap carriers. Model Railway Constructor vol. 53 (part 629) pp 508, 530 - 533.

Drawings - RLS5900 diag. 6/539/POO10A ; RLS5909 diag. POO10B .

Mann, Trevor., (1986c) Modern P O wagons Railease 51.0 tonnes GLW two - axle open scrap carriers, Part 2 the 1984 'POA' scheme. Model Railway Constructor vol. 53 (part 630) pp 564, 582 - 585.

Drawings - RLS5032 diag. POO14A; RLS5923 Diag. POO10C/D .

Mann, Trevor., (1986d) Modern P O wagons Railease 51.0 tonnes GLW two - axle open scrap carriers, Part 3 the 1984 'POA' scheme. Model Railway Constructor vol. 53 (part 631) pp 636 - 641, 665.

Drawings - RLS5920 diag. POO10B ; RLS5051 Diag. POO14A

Ratcliffe, David (2018)       'BR Scrap wagons - the SJA's'   Rail Express Modeller Supplement April 2018 pages 22-23

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/scrapwagonssa

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1