Bonsai RhB in Nm9

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I think the profiles will be a bit too tight unless your scenery is very carefully matched for stacking ;) outcrops of rock, avalanche galleries or tunnels will all take careful planning. I did look at integral lighting with my Harz boards but it forced the layout too high for kids and wheelchair users.

post-6968-0-21464400-1542966507.jpeg

They would have stacked easily though!

• RMweb Gold

I got the profiles just before we left :)

Had a good chat in the car with my long time RhB collaborator Neil and we like the idea a lot but would change a few things like Jon mentions.

post-6968-0-98827700-1543009547_thumb.jpeg

A greater separation of the profiles to make landforms, trees and catenary easier to place without it being an intricate puzzle will help.

The profile on the ‘hillside’ one is a bit steep for our taste, my 009 and Nm both ended up much shallower because it was easier for transitions. I think halfway between mine and Jons would be good for most rocky scenes.

Here's a comparison for Jon of my profile and Jon’s version of mine.

post-6968-0-27260500-1543009247_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

When I drew that up I started by extending Paul's end frame to a 150 x 200 box and drawing the land form gradient as a diagonal line from corner to corner, and took that as the 'natural' then added cutting/embankment to join the 'natural - there is too much engineered land and insufficient 'natural', and that's not helped by the loss of 2x15mm from the width due to the ball and socket arrangement.

The ball and socket I think are staying, but will move to outside the profile, and I'm going to do a few experiments with height and land form profile, but I think I might also try a wider end - at least 200mm, but more likely a 250 or 300.

The first round of cutting has helped me work out some of the technicalities - I think it does achieve what I had in my minds eye - a railway cut into a rock face, leaving a ledge.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Well that went well and somehow Tom and Jon managed to both find me at Warley and we suitably corrupted each other with ideas.

More inspiration was waiting for me when I got home ;)

post-6968-0-04725600-1543188781_thumb.jpeg

I do like the 100yr liveries and they run so nicely too and far cheaper than collecting the Bemo ones! ;)

• Like 3

Thx for your time Paul. Was an enjoyable and informative chat and thx for ends I’m now considering show I’m going to put them to good use. The locos look pretty decent. I really need to get flogging stuff ;) Also glad to have seen LC looks much better in the flesh, and the Sound 37 made me almost want to do some 00.

• RMweb Gold

The MDS ones are slightly more detailed than the Kato ones, separate handrails and the roof moulding has more depth so looks crisper. Running is virtually identical and Kato has the edge on the windows as they are slightly less ‘prismatic’. At normal distances they are virtually impossible to tell apart so it’s really the liveries that makes your choice :)

Good to meet up and great all three of us were there together without any planning! Reminds me I must search out the Landwasser thing I found.

• RMweb Gold

Pirata announcement at the Stuttgart show of Arosa coaches and a restaurant coach and Surava Stn.

Appear to be Kato reliveries, 2nd class Arosa coaches and the EW1 restaurant.

Edited by PaulRhB

Paul, really love what you have done, I accidentally bought a Kato Allegra at Rushden Show last year and put a UTube Vid of it running on my Unitram Track on GSC last year. Great fun. Probably the ideal Xmas Tree Layout if I did Xmas Trees.

Not the best quality vid taken on the iPhone indoors but illustrates things quite well. I have been faffing for many years with N Gauge Modern mostly Trams, having part built a layout. But these days I have another plan in mind based on Aigle where 3 or 4 different lines Tramway/Light Railway Terminate in a Square in front of the SBB Station. Clearly RHB would be involved with a Tramway Station using Allegra and some Mixed workings.

I must remember that, I accidentally bought . . . ;)

You might like this too :)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10252-kato-n-gauge-tram-system/page-2

Very interesting, Automatic Operations show great promise as well. Must check out my Rapido Duevag Tram on the Unitram, think I have run them and they are fine but must retest to be sure.

Very interesting, Automatic Operations show great promise as well. Must check out my Rapido Duevag Tram on the Unitram, think I have run them and they are fine but must retest to be sure.

I checked mine out Today together with some other stuff including an old Bachman Market Street Car which after some TLC ran just fine as well, but that is not in the Vid.

https://youtu.be/7chNshWVW7U

As you can see the Duevag runs superbly

Edited by dunnyrail

I think you can see in the Allegra Vid that one part of the Unitram is not lit and it lists a little. I had the Roof off quite a simple gentle pull out of the chassis. Fiddled around with the Contacts in the removed body and on putting back together the Lights now work. Must have got dislodged somewhere along the line. The list is also much better. Not used to playing around with this small stuff, G Scale in the Garden is my thing usually. But it is nice to have some RTR indoors and the Unitram Layout with perhaps some extensions makes a nice change.

• Like 2

Loving this thread :) Very inspirational as I've 'accidentally ordered' a Kato Glacier Express set and might need something to run it on so has got the old brain juices going. I had a trip to Switzerland in February so wanted a little reminder. Can I ask where you got the trees or did I miss that?