Bonsai RhB in Nm9

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2019 at 17:46, jonhall said:

So what is the footprint of that?

Looks like about 550x650mm?

Jon

Yes something like that as it’ll fit on a 600 x 750 board. I can hide all the 150mm radius in tunnels but the question is what would I make the upper end height? I can gain roughly 7 inches / 175mm if I kept a 1in20 gradient all the way but I think the 143 to the Freemo height or max 150 so the large on scene curve is less steep will look better. 

• Like 1

Just my 10p's worth: This comes back to multiple board height options as dictated by adjustable length legs in fixed units (say 50mm each setting) in a modular system and what you think would work for you. As you're basically creating a system from scratch your hands aren't tied by the Freemo standard. If it were me I'd still edge towards having legs that can fix to 100cm, 105cm, 110cm, 115cm, 120cm, 125cm, 130cm, 135cm, 140cm, etc (with fine adjustment on the feet for uneven surfaces), in which case a 150mm raise through the module would be easier to make compatible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was only thinking of the Freemo height as I could use the same legs off other modules ;) 

The 50mm increments make more sense. I think I need to knock up a test stand with the different heights on so they can be compared easily, maybe several holes so different ones can be compared. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, JimFin said:

667mm radius - or is that being pedantic, does 533 fit a proposed module size? https://structurae.net/structures/landwasser-viaduct

Modules can literally be any size only track height and the joining plate are critical, 533 fits in the car ;) Full scale 667 would need part of the roof chopping out by the time you add the scenery and would be too tight on the two flights of stairs it has to negotiate to get out of the flat. It’s about as near as I can push it. 

I have a very accurate profile of the boot and I can drop on a scale drawing to test what fits and I’ve pushed that to the limit with the HOm ;) 

• RMweb Gold

I’ve made the four corner boards and the current plan is an avalanche shelter, retaining wall, cutting and a Burgruine (ish) castle. These four are to my home ‘I need to fit it all in micro standard - BonsaiRhB’ and not intended for compatibility with the Nm9 standard we are exploring ;) 

BonsaiRhB

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

This is the wiggly board, the same length as the station, (now named Albula), and these six will form the running demonstration of modular ideas, albeit my BonsaiRhB version. 

BonsaiRhB

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I cut a couple of card templates to block out the polystyrene from a big sheet and then carved a variety of ‘bumps’ 

BonsaiRhB

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

In the realisation its only a few weeks until Global Rail at Didcot I've been assembling and painting a laser cut bird-box - not for the homing o stray blue tits, but as a 'profile neutraliser' so two not matching boards could be joined with an anonymous section. I've also created a little pocket in the top that can take A5 leaftets.

birdbox001.jpg.94ee25922c8d10285906a6fdac46870c.jpgbirdbox003.jpg.fb0747f282d43397a82b2d5b13a09cc1.jpgbirdbox004.jpg.ef96bb60fdd3d6f07cd7fcc21f374f1d.jpg

Jon 

birdbox002.jpg

• Like 4