Bonsai RhB in Nm9

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Ok bit of unfortunate news, the demo has had to be pulled so we won’t be showing anything at Globalrail.

Alan just contacted me as there’s been a mix up with the venue.

“Chaps

URGENT!!

Monumental cock-up by the venue means we've much less space than planned for. As a result, I'm afraid I'll have to pull your Bonsai RhB demo from the show. Very sorry for the short notice, only found out 30 minutes ago!

Will prioritise you for 2020, expect details after the weekend.

Regards,
Alan”

full list of cancellations here.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142049-globalrail-2019-german-railway-society-sat-15-june-2019-didcot-civic-centre/&do=findComment&comment=3584881

I wondered why I couldn't find you today as hadn't looked at your thread for a few days.

I do now have another Harz ng coach.

• RMweb Gold

Good, yes I was going to come regardless but I had a job I was going to do Sunday and now going out so I thought I better do it today and as usual it took longer than you intend so ran out of time as not back home yet! 

Modules were all ready boxed up by the door but Alan got hold of us just before I lugged them down the stairs so avoided an unnecessary workout ;) 

I’ll hopefully get them set up at home later this week but now I have time I want to fit the point motors before I do that as I was relying on blade contact at the mo. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

I was hoping to see your modules at Didcot yesterday so it’s a shame about the space cock up. 

Enjoyed the show anyway and there were a couple of layouts featuring mountains and NG. Edelweiss even had a Kato GE 4/4 II and EW I carriages running so that was a bonus. 

I’m watching this thread with interest. 

2 hours ago, MrTea said:

Hi Paul,

I was hoping to see your modules at Didcot yesterday so it’s a shame about the space cock up. 

Enjoyed the show anyway and there were a couple of layouts featuring mountains and NG. Edelweiss even had a Kato GE 4/4 II and EW I carriages running so that was a bonus. 

I’m watching this thread with interest. 

Must admit, I liked the fiddle yard on Edelweiss - an effective use of Train Safe!

Disappointing not to see your modules though Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Well hopefully there’ll be more to show next year rather than just a circuit, it would be nice to have a U shape so we can let people walk into the layout and even drive a train :) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have another building for ‘Albula’ but I was sat looking at the Kato Filisur I have and musing on using it for my station based on Bever. 

I decided a repaint might help so it was dismantled by removing the two screws from underneath that hold the main roof then unclipping all the sub assemblies, glazing and one final screw for the small piece of the roof. 

It’s a lot better toned down from the plastic finish but will benefit from some more detail painting, signs and figures :) 

08D81104-953D-4818-8803-195B07325AC8.jpeg.a222255cdc590eed83f2c93826fda477.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

JimFin kindly scaled down his HOm Stugl bahnhof to Nm9 for me to try. The building is a 3D print in wood fibre with a Redutex roof. 

I think it looks great, we noted the roof braces were a tad long but they are separate parts so easy to shorten a fraction. 

The texture looks good even up close and it’s the correct scale unlike the Faller laser kit. 

DCBE1B6A-5FB4-45E4-8F11-AC55D8ECEE99.jpeg.9becd5a659d1869fc780d2936d937676.jpeg

82B6AA65-10D7-4604-8D93-0C85347E818E.jpeg.aae6e11e1feb209354f52899953c9ee0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

JimFin kindly scaled down his HOm Stugl bahnhof to Nm9 for me to try. The building is a 3D print in wood fibre with a Redutex roof. 

I think it looks great, we noted the roof braces were a tad long but they are separate parts so easy to shorten a fraction. 

The texture looks good even up close and it’s the correct scale unlike the Faller laser kit. 

That's a lovely model with a lot more character than the plastic kits! Although we have enjoyed the convenience of Faller kits over the years. I have been searching online for old photographs of small Swiss and German stations or wayside halts, but haven't found many references so far?  I would like to have a go at producing a small HOe layout based on a rural area where forestry and timber extraction is a feature. But that would be after clearing all the other projects off my workbench! 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Marly51 said:

That's a lovely model with a lot more character than the plastic kits! Although we have enjoyed the convenience of Faller kits over the years. I have been searching online for old photographs of small Swiss and German stations or wayside halts, but haven't found many references so far?  I would like to have a go at producing a small HOe layout based on a rural area where forestry and timber extraction is a feature. But that would be after clearing all the other projects off my workbench! 

Some super reference photos for you here - http://rhbstations.co.za/

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Don't forget that almost all the RhB system as at 2014 is viewable via Google Streetview!

19 hours ago, JimFin said:

Some super reference photos for you here - http://rhbstations.co.za/

Oooh fab! I hadn't found that one yet! :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These chassis are available again which can be used for the Shapeways Tm2/2’s

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202823463695

85-90

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GY6PPHZEZ/rhb-tmf-2-2-85-90?optionId=63217901&li=marketplace

111-114

https://www.shapeways.com/product/U26SMHD64/rhb-tm-2-2-111-114?optionId=86444807&li=marketplace

They only release the chassis in occasional batches and they can be out of stock for 3-6 months.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok it should have been Globalrail this weekend but as with everything else it’s on hold. So rather than getting on with the planned work on the HOn30 I treated myself to slightly early birthday present and that started off thoughts about the Landquart ish roundhouse I’d been planning. 
So I updated the plan to include the full roundhouse stalls by adding 6” to the width. 
026E2C0C-F334-4F06-92E8-DEB8F3C88762.jpeg.7dbe97efa3a09de72e9f51dcae4abbe6.jpeg

and dig out the Kitwood Models 115mm lasercut kit. A pleasant couple of hours to assemble a really good kit, plus a few breaks while glue dried, and this was the result with my ‘present to self’ rotating at a leisurely 1rpm :) 

4692D639-7527-4FC6-BD5F-91A425F219B2.jpeg.4abbb80fbcbe21f39da63602cebcfde6.jpeg

I’m making the control stands from tiny, tiny bits of plastic and wire!

E80C81E0-70EE-4FBC-91B9-556B03579D9D.jpeg.3e3555b8a7553a323d1888fb24b654e0.jpeg

A8F4E8C4-88C8-4CCC-A50E-396F6AA609B9.jpeg.1b4722684f2ff334d3483dd5b94e6053.jpeg

• Like 4