Bonsai RhB in Nm9

PaulRhB

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to a friend from the US I picked up four Om coaches a couple of weeks ago while he was here and have been musing in my plans for that future layout. Yesterday an idea occurred that I could test out the plan in Nm9! :)

By reducing it by three times I can model a model and test out the operation. Here in unitrak is the station based on Wiesen with an added siding and it will take inspiration from Surava and Solis in their use.

post-6968-0-11455000-1546289469_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

A typical short set nicely fits in, I just need Kato or MDS to do the four wheel cement wagons and vans now ;)

attachicon.gif0A37574B-3C62-412C-B5E0-133C83A8BD60.png

Lol, it's supposed to be a test for Om, or are you going to try making 2 identical layouts in different scales?!

Edit: through some HOm and G in and you could go full range...... just saying...

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Gold

Well it’s only a test as far as operation goes but it’s a scale model of the current idea, it’ll be a miracle if the final Om actually look like this! ;) I’m considering doing Rhatia and Neil’s Klein Arosa as they were both fun to operate and we always fancied them as part of a bigger layout. Realistically the Om layout isn’t going to happen for another 5-10 years as Bemo haven’t released the Ge4/4 yet and I’d need to save for at least two. Add to that I’d want the round headlight version so would have to wait for a second number as I really don’t fancy attaching the numbers, crests and names with how much they are going to cost! It has the advantage of spreading the cost as the coaches have cost me £20-40 and only four of the new Bemo wagons have broken the ‘ton’ so far. I keep saying less is more ;)

Now I’m applying that with Nm, less size means I can fit more in ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Edit: through some HOm and G in and you could go full range...

Been there done that ;) HOm needed lots of hacking of couplings to swap to magnetic ones and I could fit more in in Nm for the scenery so moved down for operational potential in my space. G, to be honest I sold most of it to finance the Harz when the prices started climbing like crazy. I can’t fit G inside and as my garden is 4ft long Om gives me the heft and running quality without needing to use R1 curves :) That said I do still have the LGB Krok and two 2-6-0’s ;) Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those that are considering building a "Micro", but dont have track already. I would recommend the Tomix track. The range is comparable with that from Kato (including inset tram track and small radii). What I prefer is that the track road bed is considerable smaller/shallower. I think this add a bit more realism to the track.

track2.jpg

Kato - Tomix - Fleischmann - Peco

Edited by Night Train

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Noch / Kato specials have arrived and very nice too. 

D39166A8-E89E-498C-AAF7-5B41B5F01341.jpeg.70a47576b7d90c545fedf3a7761481cb.jpeg

Interestingly on the back of the boxes it mentions a set with the same number as the Hakone set but with a N-suffix and it says includes 632 Zizers, I’ve emailed Noch about it to see if it’s a quiet announcement. 

30B0118D-4AE4-421F-9F39-1991CF882FDC.jpeg.6ec9fc06c6c2d0161a739d8d3a32af44.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve had the Wiesen based plan for a while and with the invite to Globalrail it’s a nice push to get on with it. I realised that five of the parts of my larger plan could be made into a ‘roundy’ demo with only small adjustments to dimensions so I’ve done that and come up with this. 

0B6E78D9-9DB7-4B2D-9383-6FB3F6B3CF35.jpeg.b80e173b901a2b17db04563c0f4d894c.jpeg

the wavy board on the back posed an interesting question about the frames to keep it strong but I think I’ve sussed it with a triangle based frame. 

233125A8-B805-4D4C-836E-0B56128C7FBE.jpeg.b2a21cb5a6323fbee6694d550e32fb61.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Is Kadee couplings and magnets along with loco+6 train length going to be part of the nm9 modular standard then?

(Was the DC/DCC option decided?)

It’s open to debate ;) 

Currently it’s raising ideas that is important. 

I was already using the Microtrains couplings, (kadee magnets though), as the snap together Kato ones don’t really work for shunting and I don’t like the huge rapido couplers. My interest is based on being able to operate it as a railway so hands off shunting is a major advantage. It helps that my choice would work just as well with fixed sets using the Kato snap together ones on a setup just running trains and I can easily swap the original couplers back in on a loco in a few seconds. Most of my coaches are in sets so they only have the knuckles on the outer ends so to go back to the Kato ones just means swapping one coach to the other end to trap in the knuckles. 

6 coaches and a loco is just a suggestion that makes sense so it goes in the pot for June when we hope to draw up a list for a standard. 

DC vs DCC also open but I can’t really see personally going with DC as it complicates things when the two modular systems I already use work so well with DCC. 

I have already got my ‘home standard’ so I’m looking at having adapters to fit it to a wider one if there’s enough interest in meets. Ian has done the same in HO with Fort Myers and it works really well as a huge module so I’m thinking I could provide a branch, or through section of line, with a couple of stations as a single module effectively. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Having seen quite a lot of modules today at intermodellbau, I think straight track and flat boards should be verboten!

Jon

That's the problem with using FREMO for the RhB the profiles need to have more extreme versions like your test ones ;) 

• RMweb Gold

Some templates made up to decide what masts to build for the station. I’ll use Sommerfeldt 390 masts with the spans built from the 391 brackets and 398 section cut to length, hopefully I’ll get 2-3 spans from each 398 span. 

A347B4DE-6085-484C-93EE-1921E7F56240.jpeg.605afdd1d6ce655bf4bde20c893149a5.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So out of curiosity I wondered what the gradient works out at to climb in a loop using the R150 curves, 1in20 it turns out. 

Then I got a bit carried away doodling in 3D ;) 

1035C809-5446-47DD-8086-897F1B0311DE.jpeg.edb4e0ae4c22bce47f655ade8943ce71.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1