LBSC E2 Westinghouse Pump

Zen

Having bought several E2 body shells I am looking to buy the right Westinghouse pump however I cannot make my mind up which unit it is, so I postponed the purchase until I could seek sage advice from people that probably know better than I.

Which is the correct unit for the job please and what make that unit stand apart from the rest please?

Me I think it's Walp3 but have been told it is Walp1 which I think is too small. 

post-22908-0-05855300-1540371061.jpg

post-22908-0-69173800-1540371577_thumb.jpg

Check the height over the cylinders, you can scale this off the photo comparing it to the driving wheel size.

Scale at (presumably) 4mm to the foot for model height.

Select 1 or 3 accordingly.

Pete

Was going to be my suggestion.  Then got to the "depends on which version and when you are modelling which may change things.  The BR image has the extended water tanks.  The original LBSCR versions didn't, or not all of them.  Did pumps change over time?  Otherwise I am with '3'.

post-29906-0-85975800-1540381354.jpg

Edited by Shanghai Diver
  • Like 1

I know they are Markits.

But if you look at Alan Gibson, part number 4M602 Westinghouse Pump is apparently the correct sized item.

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Also Roxey Moudlings has a version.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/1020/4ma046-lbscr/sr-westinghouse-pump-1-/

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was going to be my suggestion.  Then got to the "depends on which version and when you are modelling which may change things.  The BR image has the extended water tanks.  The original LBSCR versions didn't, or not all of them.  Did pumps change over time?  Otherwise I am with '3'.

There were ten of these. Nos 100-104 were built with short tanks, which proved limiting in service, so the subsequent five, 105-109, had an extra 166 gallons capacity in extended side-tanks. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Guest Jack Benson

HI,

Interesting to note a neglected prototype receiving some much needed attention.

Has anyone tackled this model in the past?

JB

I wonder if the Westinghouse pumps were actually maintained after about 1930.    There couldn't have been a lot of air brake stock around Southampton docks.

The pipework looks like pragmatism ruled over craftsmanship...

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

For 4mm/OO there was a Wills whitemetal body kit and a Triang Hornby RTR model, from the one piece body moulding with one size fits all mechanism era, which was subsequently upgraded to 'Thomas'.

Hi,

This is not mine but it has been offered 'on loan' for Chandlers Row

Thanks

JB

E2_600.jpg

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

For 4mm/OO there was a Wills whitemetal body kit and a Triang Hornby RTR model, from the one piece body moulding with one size fits all mechanism era, which was subsequently upgraded to 'Thomas'.

Pure Hornby. It came out in 1979 with the new chassis used on the Jinty before it was downgraded into Thomas. Still got mine.  :)

Best option is the Wills kit (now South Eastern Finecast) and the etched chassis. Unfortunately you only get the earlier version without extended tanks and the kit is a bit dated.

I think PDK planned on making one but all references have disappeared from the website. Crownline used to do a conversion/detailing kit for the Hornby model and I think they were going to use parts from that in the kit.

It really does need a 21st century model whether kit or RTR.

Jason

I have an old Wills E2 body which doesn't seem much of an improvement on the Hornby model, as both were compromised by fitting them on the Jinty chassis. I don't know whether the newer kits have been updated, apart from th etched chassis. It might be worth investigating Sparkshot Custom Services' 3D printed bodies and other bits, as there is the extended tank version, and the body seems to be much closer to scale.  It has been featured heavily on RMweb.

On 25/11/2019 at 21:07, Jack Benson said:

HI,

Interesting to note a neglected prototype receiving some much needed attention.

Has anyone tackled this model in the past?

JB

Two RTR models have been available as already said the Hornby model dimensional errors excepted wasn't that bad for Hornby at the time.

Img_1797.jpg.34a0110ca4b75b3b17574697710b9944.jpg

And the odd scale Trix model.

Img_2748.jpg.931b28a1c1b380fc33bd37aa8109edd4.jpg