Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Colin Garratt - railway photographer

'CHARD

The Railway Herald reports the death of Colin Garratt, on October 5th.  I'm certain everyone on the site will have seen examples of his work - knowingly or not.  He leaves an incredible legacy.

Thoughts and good wishes go to his family.

• RMweb Premium

Colin Garratt's work was inspirational for me. I discovered 'Symphony in Steam' in the local library about 1970/1 when I was a kid and it was the first creative colour work on steam. It communicated the aesthetic and spirit of the end of mainline steam, the energy of industrial steam with coverage of ironstone and coal mining, and the optimism of early preservation. Later works travelled the world from Finland to Kenya, India to Philippines.

The Blandford books and much recycling of his work are maybe a bit derided now, but back then he was a fresh and original photographer and communicator. A great life and sad loss.

Dava

• 3 weeks later...

This is very sad news. Colin Garratt's photos seemed to be there throughout most of my life.

His Flickr account is still up and the thing that always struck me was that, though steam locos were his subject, he went so far beyond the conventional front three quarter view. What was around the loco was often as telling as the loco itself. 

He will be missed.

An inspirational railway photographer. Opened my eyes to just how influential on a worldwide scale the British steam locomotive manufacturers were - a stark (& in some ways very sad) contrast to how insular and 'blinkered' a great many British railway enthusiasts and modellers are - utterly disinterested in anything railway related beyond the shores of the UK.

I enjoyed many of his books. Very sad to hear this news. :(