ianathompson

AFK A room sized layout that hosts intensive operating sessions.

The cricket season has begun and some N gauge activity has also taken place.

There are a few photos however on he updated website at https://myafk.net/operating-session-5

46983292915_a45100bac6_c.jpg5-127 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.126 With its rods whirring the articulated makes its way up the Vulpafaŭkangulo alongside the quick flowing Aepto. This is the first opportunity to get this train out from under Urteno's feet. Hopefully it will be of more use at Ithilarak in helping to sort things out there.

Ian T

• Like 2

Cricket does get in the way of modelling. This week I have Thursdayoff from umpiring.

Thanks for the link

Baz

it is great to see a Railway being operated with the same hour by hour problems as the real ones. There are reasons for operational problems and the controller needs to be quick about their wits to stop it all clogging up completely. 

Thank you for sharing this.

Baz

• Agree 1

Following a respite the session has been resumed.

The full set of photos can be found at https://myafk.net/operating-session-5

48103046776_ae2b286040_z.jpg5-164 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.164 With the railcar having arrived the special wastes no time in getting onto the move once the signal, in the background, drops to clear.

48103099788_efa5b1527f_z.jpg5-168 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.167 The delayed RFK-FDV freight is let out onto the Vulpafaŭkangulo in preference to the von Ryan. It is now running around half an hour late but will have little trouble in coping with this lightweight load.

48103100638_010a1623d9_z.jpg5-180 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.179 The von Ryan jogs alongside the Aepto in the lower part of the gorge. There would be little to see as, being well away from civilisation, the whole area would be in pitch blackness. The train made it first appearance in photo 5.62 and has been 'on the road' as such for over twelve hours, although five of these were spent sitting in a siding at Ospicio watching the world go by. The loco, you might remember, was originally sent out as the Urteno banker so it is usually double manned anyway. The loco currently acting as banker was seen in photo 5.33 and is the one that those crews transferred to. The loco on this train would also have needed a double crew, with a lot of time spent on the cushions, although the real thing seemed to accept this with equanimity. As has been hinted earlier these practices will have to be reviewed before the next session.

48103101263_3288941368_z.jpg5-184 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.183. The new train, ostensibly running in conjunction with the paper mill traffic, pulls into Lacono at 20.40, thereby delaying the adjacent railcar in platform 3. The train has been on the road for 10 hours but has failed to get past Ithilarak, a mere 18 kilometres distant.

Ian T

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The operating session finished some time ago but problems with the website platform prevented publication.

These have now been resolved (I hope!) and the last batch of pictures is available at https://myafk.net/operating-session-5

Incidentally I noticed that I had not included the location map on at least the last two posts. This has now been rectified..

Does any-one use this? It takes a long time to set up and unless I receive some requests for it to remain it will not be there on the next occasion!

48248231352_5d5627083a_z.jpg5-187 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.186 In this photo of an obscure corner of the layout the 2-10-2T backs down into the quarry road at Ospicio to pick up two vans jettisoned from an earlier train. This move is not carried out very often and the pony truck derailed on the siding points which were found to be out of adjustment. There is obviously a lot of work still to be done here, including inserting missing sleepers, but it is intended that the wall at the left will eventually become part of a loading bank.

48248145141_f1c1378b5b_z.jpg5-189 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.190 The congestion at Urteno has required that the wagons are written onto three shunt lists. At around two dozen wagons this would be nothing out of the ordinary for the prototype but it amounts to significant congestion on a cramped model railway. The value of these lists was pointed out in the last session. Rather than dealing with an unwieldy handful of consignment notes the destinations are simply written onto the sheet. The trajnaĉefo is, in general terms, simply interested in where the wagons are going rather than what is in them. The one urgent load, of livestock, is highlighted by the asterisks.

48248233177_eaac25bd84_z.jpg5-192 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.193 The last train of the day makes its way over the snow covered interfluve between Altonian and Calviero provinces. The eagle eyed will note that a slug of lead has appeared in the body of the locomotive testifying to the difficulties of working trains over the AFK. In fact closer inspection suggested that progress was being halted by the pilots attached to the bogies which were catching the sides of the cutting. These have been trimmed but the jury is out as to whether the weight will remain.

48248234107_e64394b098_z.jpg5-200 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

5.200 The down railcar is still on the single line, having reached Abateĵo de Narrasson. There is an IBS (intermediate block signal) at Sojonno so it is not in the section directly in advance of the freight, which could have left Boursson by now had it received authority. I suppose that the spire of the Abbey represents a scenic faux pas as it reaches above the sky but it would have looked just as unrealistic had it been shortened. The exit into the backscene will one day be hidden by a station building. The brethren are Cistercians and their agricultural machine shop is in the foreground. It houses a combine undergoing repair which is an obvious attempt to distract the eye from the hole.

As Capt Oates apparently said to Scott, "I'm going outside and may be some time."

The N gauge layouts need work and I have begun to rebuild the garden line.

Three or four items need attention on the AFK and that does not include stock building or scenic developments.

It may be some time before the AFK returns to these pages!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
factual error
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ian, cricket does impact my modelling time too ( umpired for 520 overs in 76 says last week then watched an ODI at Durham. No wonder my layout has not got past the fiddle yard build stage.

Any chance of a line map as I get some of the locations confused.

Don't go away for too long ..keep us up to speed on developments and operating sessions.

Baz

Barry,

Gave up on umpiring after arguing with the then second team captain following an lbw decision.

Spend most time scoring for the first team in the county premier. Will be watching Minor Counties next week hopefully.

About the railway!

The schematic line map (and the photo locations) should appear on the right of your screen.

I have been told that this does not come up, however, if viewed on a mobile phone.

The layout's supposed geographical location can be found at https://myafk.net/sketch-map-of-the-system

The schematic should be visible on any type of page if you go to https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

It has been placed at the top of the page.

Hope that this helps.

Ian T

Ian

I may go back to scoring next year as  other than the women teams and most Grammar School teams the paid players cause a load of bother.

The map doesn't show on mytablet but I will check it out on my laptop later following an umpires meeting (discussion player  indiscipline...frabjoy!)

Baz

Update.. found it on the tablet on one of the pages