Finborough Junction and TMD

Flacky

Some more progress over the last few days including the painting of the hillsides in a dark brown as a base for scenery 

IMG_20190806_162915.jpg.9528fdd183bd7aca6ab45d61eafbcbe5.jpg

Ive also painted the insides of the tunnels in black before i put the chicken wire scenic base over the top 

IMG_20190807_150833.jpg.1ebd071553962f454404d7ff2e3cc1ee.jpg

And finally ive started to use the airbrush to paint the inspection pits. Ive used precision weathered concrete and will weather it down once it is in place on the layout 

IMG_20190807_124709.jpg.cffeb792923faacf05a0c6f9ccb1a4bf.jpg

Matt 

• Like 5

Matt,

probably a bit late but the "orange tubes"  as you refer to them would only run to a single piece of equipment they would not be used as part of a cable route, where a cable route crosses from one side to another then under-track crossings (UTX) are used these are well below track level and have access chambers (manholes) either side.

the problem with orange pipes is that if they are damaged by a tamper running through the area and they were part of of a cable route it would cause all sorts of problems, whereas with a single piece of equipment it is easily fixed

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, LongRail said:

Matt,

probably a bit late but the "orange tubes"  as you refer to them would only run to a single piece of equipment they would not be used as part of a cable route, where a cable route crosses from one side to another then under-track crossings (UTX) are used these are well below track level and have access chambers (manholes) either side.

the problem with orange pipes is that if they are damaged by a tamper running through the area and they were part of of a cable route it would cause all sorts of problems, whereas with a single piece of equipment it is easily fixed

Thank you very much for telling me. They shouldnt be too difficult to remove or i will add some relay boxes and signals if appropriate. 

Matt

This morning i decided to weather the track around the inspection pits ready for the hardstanding. Its was my first time airbrushing track so i was quite nervous. However i think it has come out well. I followed Dave at dean parks method for this by using sleeper grime.

There is still more weathering to be done on the inspection pits themselves which i will do once the paint has dried. 

IMG_20190815_120327.jpg.1dc8aab6ee424b1b39d8c1c94829df4a.jpg

IMG_20190815_120334.jpg.215ace6f3c343101ba39156e57932097.jpg

Matt

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Ive been considering adding in a smaller siding for the tanker wagons to offload fuel rather than having it at the end of a very long headshunt for the fueling point. Although it is adding more track, i feel it would look better with it included.

IMG_20190816_203029.jpg.0ee25ef1931c9a74154be5e2ab8951bc.jpg

The bufferstop marks how long the siding will be. 

Matt 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2019 at 12:13, Flacky said:

This morning i decided to weather the track around the inspection pits ready for the hardstanding. Its was my first time airbrushing track so i was quite nervous. However i think it has come out well. I followed Dave at dean parks method for this by using sleeper grime.

There is still more weathering to be done on the inspection pits themselves which i will do once the paint has dried. 

Matt

All looking good so far :good_mini:

I was in the same position, it was the first time I’ve used an airbrush and first time weathering track....it was quite nerve racking.

I’ve had to learn how to use a soldering iron too, it’s all good fun though :)

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

New to the forum and just found this thread. Will follow with interest as I'm currently building my layout and not as advanced as you. Looking good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, MalcT said:

Hi,

New to the forum and just found this thread. Will follow with interest as I'm currently building my layout and not as advanced as you. Looking good.

thank you Malc, I am looking forward to seeing the development on your layout

43 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

All looking good so far :good_mini:

I was in the same position, it was the first time I’ve used an airbrush and first time weathering track....it was quite nerve racking.

I’ve had to learn how to use a soldering iron too, it’s all good fun though :)

Chris

Thanks Chris, i agree i am having great fun learning these new skills.  

Ive started to paint the hardstanding this morning

IMG_20190817_093728.jpg.8e01c427a55f4209dd325a64ff2365a2.jpg

I started with painting the card in matt black as a base

IMG_20190817_094757.jpg.f85139c5d0e72cb07e4ee5c7b633f038.jpg

Then i mixed up a dark grey using a white and black emulsion and used a sponge to apply it to give a random appearance

IMG_20190817_110539.jpg.242573d9578de353eb6d74fc615d8b17.jpg

And then finally mixed up a much lighter grey and sponged it on aswell to give a variety of colour and to make it look worn down. I will be airbrushing over some weathered concrete to blend it all in but i am quite pleased with how it looks. 

Matt 

Edited by Flacky
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Today i installed the concrete hardstanding onto the layout. I airbrushed Precision weathered concrete on top of the paint effect i had already created to blend it together and made it look more like concrete. Im pleased with the result and will weather it more once ive made more progress around the rest of the depot. 

IMG_20190826_194138.jpg.0e0b4f4b62d0f034b5556cb7e88226b4.jpg

IMG_20190826_194558.jpg.8f771277b1bb1b12222f299e81d38316.jpg

Matt 

Edited by Flacky
  • Like 6

Tried my hand at a bit of scratchbuilding today. Ive created the start of a road bridge which will act as a scenic break between the station and fiddleyard but also allow the platform to go underneath it aswell so it looks like it extends behind the bridge. 

Its been made from 1 and 2mm card and peco plate girder. With the intention to clad it in embossed plasticard and add all the details once ive decided what i want to make my platform from. 

IMG_20190903_134908.jpg.68942f02aa44a0554c048bdab110cf28.jpg

IMG_20190903_134851.jpg.ff1ae27d198376f3dca7cbde1bd3b75e.jpg

Matt 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Matt,

You seem to be making good progress.

Have you posted or have I missed the track plan and layout size?

How are you getting on with the DCC side of things?

Happy modelling

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

The layout is about 16ft x 9ft with the baseboards being 3ft wide for the longer edge and 2ft for the shorter edge. 

As for DCC i've been really enjoying it. I use a Sprog III command station hooked up to my laptop and using JMRI i can use my phone as a wireless controller so its really easy to move all around the layout with the controller rather than being tethered to one spot. CV programming on the computer is extremely simple once you get past the initial learning curve.

One thing i would like to experiment with is using point accessory decoders so i can create routes and control the turnouts from my phone however this will not be for a while yet.

Here is the track plan for the layout

Capture.PNG.c965d25dda9592c4d5e8262e0384179e.PNG

Matt

• Like 1

Looks good Matt,

Hope you have plenty of loops in your fiddle yard to feed train variety to the model?

Or are you queueing trains one behind the other. If the later, how do you move them up without spending all your time with the fiddle yard?

Anyway, you are ahead of me. I do not yet have a main layout, just a round and round test track with an NCE for control, but I am moving forward on sound chipping locos.

Cheers

Paul 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

.............Anyway, you are ahead of me. I do not yet have a main layout......

I've been working on my layout for well over twelve months now and my progress is very, very slow so I wouldn't worry about getting left behind :)

Chris

• Agree 1

Looks good Matt,

Hope you have plenty of loops in your fiddle yard to feed train variety to the model?

Or are you queueing trains one behind the other. If the later, how do you move them up without spending all your time with the fiddle yard?

Anyway, you are ahead of me. I do not yet have a main layout, just a round and round test track with an NCE for control, but I am moving forward on sound chipping locos.

Cheers

Paul 

I have 3 fiddle yard tracks for each running line which seems to work well as i do not currently have enough rolling stock to fill any of them completely :lol: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a slight loss of mojo i thought i would try out using poly filler to create a smooth surface on the OSB baseboard for the depot yard. 

It will need to be sanded down and possibly have more layers of filler added but i have been able to make a seamless join up to the top of the hardstanding with it which should make the scene flow well. 

IMG_20191025_104658.jpg.af80516222829d0831b55bdbfed0048f.jpg

Matt

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Looks good , I like the weathered concrete on the other bit as well.

is that 47736 “ Cambridge TRS depot “ I seee there ?

That is correct haha. It is a vitrains model which has been detailed and weathered very well by the previous owner. 

1 hour ago, Flacky said:

That is correct haha. It is a vitrains model which has been detailed and weathered very well by the previous owner. 

Looks nice. Still can’t work out why it was branded “ U-96” in the nineties, maybe drive watched das boot 

• Funny 1