Cleaning Airbrushes

halsey

• RMweb Gold

The pot of that type is worth getting, they are available from most retailers who sell airbrushes, it will contain the spray when flushing out the airbrush saving on mess. I wad mine with several peices of kitchen towel and throw them away once they become saturated.

I have and use the pot / container quite frequently but I have reservations about using the bristle brushes.

If you look closely at the ends where the bristles are twisted to the wired handle it can be very sharp / roughly finished which, if used in the airbrush can leave scratches thereby causing possible problems when used.

I tend to use disposable cotton buds ( rolled paper handled ones ) for gentle cleaning and a good flush through with whatever cleaning fluid is suitable for the paint being used.

When spraying the airbrush into the pot a finely partictled mist will be seen emanating from the filter on the top so usual precautions should be taken.

Overall though it is a useful item.

I use the pot and brushes; my brushes are ones I bought from Mick Bonwick at one of his weathering sessions so there could well be a difference in quality, but the key thing is not to go ramming the brushes where they are likely to cause damage, i.e. in the very end of the nozzle etc.

As for the pot, that is definitely the best way of disposing of excess paint, thinners, cleaner, white spirit etc. I put a centimeter or so of water in the bottom before using, then when you have finished it is absorbed into the paper towels I have got through during my spraying session. The whole lot then goes into a nappy sack (the cheapest hundreds for 50p jobbies) and into the bin.

• RMweb Gold

At Scaleforum I bought a can of airbrush cleaner from Eileen's Emporium.

Other than the fact I found out the straw was missing when I got home (I have substituted the straw from a Capri Sun children’s drink) it works really well, so much quicker than cleaning with thinners as I did before

I have and use the pot / container quite frequently but I have reservations about using the bristle brushes.

If you look closely at the ends where the bristles are twisted to the wired handle it can be very sharp / roughly finished which, if used in the airbrush can leave scratches thereby causing possible problems when used.

I tend to use disposable cotton buds ( rolled paper handled ones ) for gentle cleaning and a good flush through with whatever cleaning fluid is suitable for the paint being used.

When spraying the airbrush into the pot a finely partictled mist will be seen emanating from the filter on the top so usual precautions should be taken.

Overall though it is a useful item.

I use my cleaning pot in my spray booth with the fan on, sending any fumes that escape the filter up the hose and out the window.

• RMweb Gold

Apols if I've missed it buy one tip I try to remember is to take the needle out of my airbrush after each session. I have a couple of Iwatas and found that even if I thought I was being diligent, sometimes I'd miss something and the needle wouldn't necessarliy lock solid, but movement was jerky if I left the airbrush a couple of weeks or more - so the next session had to start with another cleaning session.

hi,

I have checked this afternoon.

1st step: empty reservoir

2nd step: put some cleaner into reservoir, clean walls with a cotton bud

3rd step: empty reservoir by spraying cleaner.

4th set: unscrew nozzle pull pull needle

less than one minute so far.

drop airbrush body and needle in ultrasonic bath.

Tiny parts into a small container with cleaner and the container into the US bath.

sonicate for 4 minutes.

resassemble all parts.

total time 6 minutes, of which 4 minutes can be used for other things.

doesn't sound like too much hassle.

This is with an Iwata brush and acrylic paint.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I bought that very item.  The only thing out of it that I use reqularly are the bottle brushes, though having read comments on here I may give the cleaning pot another go. I'm not sure what some of the other items are for.  Brushes can be bought separately - https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrush-Cleaning-6-Brush-Set.html#SID=55 - although if you want the cleaning pot as well (it doubles as a very useful airbrush stand) then the offer you've seen seems a good buy.

DT

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago I also faced the decision whether (pun intended) an airbrush and associated equipment would be worth the initial outlay.

I took the plunge and never looked back. Mine is mainly used for weathering rather than full paint jobs and has proved invaluable. I find the time factor when weathering a model is roughly around 40% studying the prototype/photographs, 20% masking etc, 5% actual airbrushing and 30% thorough cleaning afterwards.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else does something similar,

I've taken to stripping my airbrush down and leaving it in a bath of diluted Simple Green overnight usually around once a month, possibly more often if it sees heavy use. The benefit of simple green is that it doesn't destroy the rubber O-rings like other cleaners might (if you left them for such a long period) and you'd be amazed at the amount of gunk that builds up where you can't see or reach. 

I did actually buy a rather large collection of (1000 for $10 from ebay) O-rings primarily for automotive use, but there are some in there that are perfectly sized to replace the ones in the airbrush. I've kept the original ones anyways, and have only replaced them once but I felt it was worth doing while I was going to the effort of cleaning.

• RMweb Premium

I've taken to stripping my airbrush down and leaving it in a bath of diluted Simple Green overnight usually around once a month, possibly more often if it sees heavy use.

I've never heard of this product before - which one do you use, as there seems to be several for different tasks?

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1

I've never heard of this product before - which one do you use, as there seems to be several for different tasks?

799c3718-3dc2-4add-bb66-f99c6555c07b.jpg

I use this stuff, in this bottle, I think most of their products are similar. I bought it originally for automotive use, cleaning engine bays, de-greasing parts etc but it works really well for lots of things - I actually used it for stripping paint off a model too and it worked perfectly!

Just got into the airbrush thing and I’m using Tamiya acrylic so generally follow the steps mentioned earlier but always dismantle the brush fully. I got some really nasty air brush cleaner from Alclad meant to be used with their enamels but I guarantee it removes everything don’t spill it on plastic! When I’m cleaned up I blast a quarter cup of that through and leave it to dry.

Wish I’ld done airbrush before it’s not that hard I think folks make it sound hard, just get the paint milky and fiddle with the pressure.