IRM To Produce CIE A/001 Class Locomotive

IRM To Produce CIE A/001 Class Locomotive

image (24).png

October 26 Dublin – Irish Railway Models (IRM) today announces that it is to produce a highly detailed and premium quality model of the CIE Metropolitan-Vickers A/001 Class in 4mm scale.

Sixty of these locomotives were ordered by CIE from Metropolitan-Vickers and were built at Dukinfield Works, Manchester between 1955 and 1956 as part of a plan to implement mass dieselisation of the Irish railway network.

Initially the locomotives were fitted with an eight-cylinder, two stroke Crossley unit developing 1,200 horsepower and deployed across the country, working express passenger and freight services including cross border trains. However, significant reliability problems soon emerged, including cylinder defects, unbalanced engines and flashovers as well as excessive water temperature causing shut downs. The subsequent reliability issues lead to CIE placing all future locomotive orders with General Motors, and in the late 1960s CIE managed to persuade GM to sell them replacement power units to reengineer the troublesome A Class.

The rebuilds took place with a dedicated, highly skilled team at Inchicore between 1968 and 1971. Rebuilt with a 12-cylinder EMD 645E roots blown engine which originally developed 1,625hp, the additional power placed stress on cooling, with the power soon dialled back to 1,325hp to ensure reliable running, seeing a slight increase in power over the original Crossley units. With their new engines, the A’s settled down and provided over two decades of further service into the 1990s, with the last members of the class withdrawn in 1995 after the introduction of the new 201 class.

The A class represents a new chapter for IRM, who have previously supplied highly detailed rolling stock items for the Irish market, alongside sister brand Accurascale which produces highly acclaimed British outline models. Locomotive A39r, owned by the Irish Traction Group was surveyed at the Downpatrick and County Down Railway earlier this year and CAD has since been built and is now complete. Known for its attention to detail and high standards of quality and finish, the specification of the A Class is as follows:

image (25).png

Highly detailed OO scale model
Tungsten metal chassis
Separately applied steel detail parts, including grab handles, steps, wipers and more
Kinematic couplers with NEM socket at correct height
Five-Pole motor with two flywheels
Metal Helical Gear box for maximum performance and slow speed running
Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 130 km/h
DCC ready with PowerPack capacitor for uninterrupted power
Two quality speakers with large sound capsules for best possible sound
Fully detailed Lighting Pack, including:
Directional lighting, DC and DCC
Marker lights can be turned off when train is coupled to loco
high beam headlight function
separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver’s console
Engine bay lighting
RP25-110 wheels OO wheels with provision for re-gauging to 21mm gauge
Rotating axlebox hubs (with alternate axlebox covers for earlier versions)
Fully sprung metal buffers
Extra fine factory-fitted pipework
Extra fine factory-fitted plastic and etched steel detail parts
Minimum Radius 438mm (2nd Radius Set-track)
Length over Buffers 203mm

Both the original Crossley and rebuilt GM powered locomotives will be modelled in appropriate liveries, featuring detail difference around the roof, windscreen and headlights. The finished models will be offered in a plethora of liveries, including a special edition of class leader A1 in as delivered silver with sandboxes in a special presentation box with certificate, to Green lined, plain green, black, black with yellow panel, black and tan, supertrain, supertrain with IR logos and full IR livery, with the more popular liveries to receive multiple running numbers to allow modellers build an authentic roster of locomotives.

Price of each locomotive will be €189.95, with the special limited edition of A1 €219.95 and delivery of finished models is expected Q4 2019. Orders can be placed direct on the IRM website https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive with full price up front, or a €50 deposit per locomotive ordered when selecting ‘Bank Transfer’ as the payment option at the checkout and the balance can be paid in one lump or regular instalments ahead of the model arrival.

image (26).png

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

The "A" class was eventually bound to happen, but I cannot think of a more suited outfit to carry it out.

Would you just look at the spec though - dimmable lights, rotating axle ends and regaugable to 21mm if anyone so desires.

Not a Irish modeller at the moment, but I am worried about future conversion - just seeing an "A", a 121 and a 141 and a few Cravens.

Well done guys, you really are showing your competitors how to produce timely, accurate scale models.   

• Like 1

This is almost as though a state of the art Class 47 were to be announced for the first time for the British market; the A class/Metro-Vicks are an absolutely key locomotive for modelling Irish railways between 1955 and 1995.

Over on the Irish Railway Modeller website, I have put a question to the guys at IRM regarding the green livery versions: light and/or dark. I suspect they are rather busy at the moment at the exhibition today and until Monday (bank holiday here).

I can now retire the Siver Fox versions and forget about the traumas of trying to build the Q Kits versions: white metal ('use large hammer to straighten') and resin ('use blow torch to straighten').

I can see Metro-Vicks hauling my Bundoran Express. They were magnificent but initially very flawed machines.

I must also say that the pricing represents incredible value for money but I'm seriously thinking that this should be my final push to give up the smokes (but not the Guinness)!

Very cheerful,

Glover

• Like 4

Amazing features for that price. And in a fairly limited market. Should shake up a few people.

I'm definitely having at least one of these beasts. Quite apart from the gauge difference I want one anyway. The artwork seems to suggest that Fran and Co are about to produce a model that is as good as the SLW class 24. Praise indeed I'd say.

Just one query though, will there be a model of a GM-powered loco with the original windscreens, with the square lower corners? I used to visit CIE metals regularly in the late 1980s and most (all?) of the A class had received the radiused ones by then although I think I'm right in saying that no C class did, not even the ones which were transferred to NIR.

• Like 1

I must also say that the pricing represents incredible value for money but I'm seriously thinking that this should be my final push to give up the smokes (but not the Guinness)!

Very cheerful,

Glover

Funny you should say that "Glover" my old man always said he packed in his cigarettes to fund his modelling way back in the1960s

• Like 2

Apologies for the Flickr plug, anyway I managed to have some serious mileage off the externally battered 002.

Got loads of negs and prints from Ireland 1989-91 which I really need to scan and post.

This is the sort of model I'd like to purchase, along with one fitted with the original windscreens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/8169945001/in/album-72157631969140568/

• Like 4

Some good photos there, 002 would make an interesting weathering project.

Apologies for the Flickr plug, anyway I managed to have some serious mileage off the externally battered 002.
Got loads of negs and prints from Ireland 1989-91 which I really need to scan and post.
This is the sort of model I'd like to purchase, along with one fitted with the original windscreens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/8169945001/in/album-72157631969140568/

• Like 1

I have no interest in the model, as it is not a prototype for me, but the "tungsten metal" chassis sounds interesting. Is this a substitute for mazak? What is the difference?

Much greater density is the big one in a modelling context. Don't want to be drilling and tapping into it though.

My guess is that it is a choice to facilitate accommodating the 'two large sound capsules'; a design choice to optimise the model for good sound reproduction without the need to compromise on the weight that makes centre motor models good for both traction and reliable pick up.

It's an exciting spec. altogether, what with the helical gearboxes among much else.

• RMweb Gold

We're doing both shades - see both here ;)

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/green?grid_list=grid-view

have put a question to the guys at IRM regarding the green livery versions: light and/or dark. I suspect they are rather busy at the moment at the exhibition today and until Monday (bank holiday here).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well Christmas early - snow in Birmingham and announcing the "classic" Irish diesel loco.  As one of the "its "A" classic idea" brigade it is great to see IRM pick up the token and run with this a commercial risk with much more tooling costs than wagons. I am sure it will deliver for them and aid sales of all the Irish products happily coming to market.

Pricing certainly keen and spec expansive so a good model on the cards - ordered one already and look to more once pay arrives next week !   Not to forget to plug the container wagon packs also released to day for ordering and some to come Tara mines , plough brakes  and remaining bubble cements. Is possible you could say the future really is orange....         

A big A class sized thanks to all at IRM for iconic modelling delivery.

Robert  

• Like 3

I'm wondering if I could be persuaded to get into the Irish OO gauge scene...

Would love a few models, being a smaller country with lesser rolling stock, it will be far cheaper to get something done.

- Anyone for some lovely suggestions for a small Irish village with a double line station I can model?

- Would the A Class have ever run alongside the Class 201 and Class 071? If so what livery would they have a carried?

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

The A class and the C class were introduced around the same time and yes, both types worked alongside 071s. And 201s, just about I think.

Loads of the As ended up with IR logos towards the end, got a few pics myself but I'm sure the Irish members here can help you on that far more than I can.

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would love a few models, being a smaller country with lesser rolling stock, it will be far cheaper to get something done.

- Anyone for some lovely suggestions for a small Irish village with a double line station I can model?

- Would the A Class have ever run alongside the Class 201 and Class 071? If so what livery would they have a carried?

On the livery changes there is a very useful summary here...

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/1334-cie-locomotive-livery-variations-1960-1990/

Some great colour images of Ireland’s railways in the 80s and 90s in the Irish Railway Rambler book by Michael McMahon, highly recommended. The book has images of As, 071s and 201s running during that time.

Great to see the A class announcement.

All the best,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 4

I think they all ran together over a short span of time but I am tentatively feeling an "A" and a 141 as being the ideal partners along with an 071. Stick the A on a freight, the 141 on some Cravens and the 071 on the aircons recently announced by Murphy, and the job is complete !!   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you to everyone for your kind words and feedback. The A is a big deal for us, and a loco that has been very close to our hearts since we were babies getting interested in trains. A backbone of the Irish railway scene for 40 years and much loved. Features such as the spec list for the A is what you can expect in future Accurascale locos too when we get round to them! 

I'm definitely having at least one of these beasts. Quite apart from the gauge difference I want one anyway. The artwork seems to suggest that Fran and Co are about to produce a model that is as good as the SLW class 24. Praise indeed I'd say.

Just one query though, will there be a model of a GM-powered loco with the original windscreens, with the square lower corners? I used to visit CIE metals regularly in the late 1980s and most (all?) of the A class had received the radiused ones by then although I think I'm right in saying that no C class did, not even the ones which were transferred to NIR.

There will be several models of the GM locos with original windscreens. All black and tan GM powered locos for instance, and some of the supertrain. They switched to toughened glass in this period. We need to clean some of the renders on the site to reflect this so you guys know which Supertrain loco has which, and we will do that over the next week or so.

201s arrived from mid 1994 and the last of the A class went in 1995. A's would've been in IR livery with stripes, while the 201s would've been in their original orange livery. 071s would've been IR livery too, along with 141s. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

201s arrived from mid 1994 and the last of the A class went in 1995. A's would've been in IR livery with stripes, while the 201s would've been in their original orange livery. 071s would've been IR livery too, along with 141s. 

Cheers!

Fran

Since I am not too well versed with the Irish liveries, can you tell me which one will be suitable for the 1994-1995 time period? a

Also are the following models suitable for the same period also?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/52393/Murphy_Models_MM0203_Irish_Class_201_diesel_203_in_CIE_orange_livery/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/90612/Murphy_Models_MM0233_Class_201_no_233_River_Clare_in_Enterprise_livery_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/59166/Murphy_Models_MM0080_Irish_Class_071_080_in_Irish_Rail_orange_and_black/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/59164/Murphy_Models_MM0088_Irish_Class_071_088_in_CIE_Supertrain_orange_and_black/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Words fail. Incredible specification guys. Congratulations and Horay :) :) 

You are raising the bar to such a high level the game may need to be redefined.

Looking forward to ordering at least half a dozen of these.

a_class_IRM_%20horay2.jpg

• Like 1