IRM To Produce CIE A/001 Class Locomotive

With paddy promising the 121 for next Easter and the A in 2019,I’m trying to find another “ well “

Brilliant announcement , it’s the missing link , this was by far the most numerous class of engine , used on everything from top flight expresses to freight

Dave

With paddy promising the 121 for next Easter and the A in 2019,I’m trying to find another “ well “

Brilliant announcement , it’s the missing link , this was by far the most numerous class of engine , used on everything from top flight expresses to freight

Dave

Yes it’s brilliant news about the A class. Forgive if I remain sceptical about a 121 being on time for Easter.

Thanks guys, explore the full range of this run here

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive

We are making 17 different versions, both rebuilt and unrebuilt from 'as delivered' until end of life.

Can't believe your're not doing 041 in Inchicore Sound Barrier mode ...... 

post-28941-0-25058900-1540815655.jpg

......complete with Pullman bogies ! ( no need for a tungsten chassis or motor )

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 1

Can't believe your're not doing 041 in Inchicore Sound Barrier mode ...... 

attachicon.gif435.02jxx.jpg

......complete with Pullman bogies ! ( no need for a tungsten chassis or motor )

Interesting 010 was stored in Inchacore on Pullman Bogies for several years after it was wrecked in the 1978 Lisburn collision. 010 ran into the back of a NIR suburban train in 1978 while working a Belfast-Dublin Enterprise service. I wonder whether the bogies survived or were cut up?

Interesting 010 was stored in Inchacore on Pullman Bogies for several years after it was wrecked in the 1978 Lisburn collision. 010 ran into the back of a NIR suburban train in 1978 while working a Belfast-Dublin Enterprise service. I wonder whether the bogies survived or were cut up?

I very much doubt whether the scrap man would have realised the bogies were anything special. I understand the ( shortened ? ) chassis of one of the Pullmans was used as an engine carrier at Inchicore for a number of years and I guess its bogies are the ones that ended up under 010 & 041 in turn.

• RMweb Gold

So excited to read about this! My Irish locomotives only extend to machines that wear NIR blue however I wish the project luck!

Thanks! Of course the As were synonymous with cross border trains throughout their careers so were seen side by side NIR motive power on a daily basis.

Cheers!

Fran

Bound to as I have a Silver fox one cleaned of flash in a box near the bench !  _ My A class had been primed a week before the announcement and I even looked in a box with a Whitemetal A in it  ... 

It is a skill I have 

Robert 

...... and a very worthwhile skill too - thanks !

Now, what other goodies do you have lurking in cupboards that might prompt an Accurascale RTR to burst onto the market if looked at ??!?

The obvious next announcement will have a shorter body with fewer wheels and CAN appear in NIR blue !

I would love it too, but not entirely sure the market is big enough to support the tooling up costs of a C class and the sales volume needed to be profitable. The success of next years A class model could prove this incorrect. I suspect IRM's next Irish loco after the A class might be a 101 Sulzer or even a steam loco. Only time will tell.

PS: I'll be hanging on to my Silverfox locos as they were a nostalgic and important part of Irish railway modelling history, servicing a need in the market for their time.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

Wow, tungsten metal chassis. She is going to pull a tonne and no fear of Mazak rot here.

Has anyone actually got round to producing a model loco with a tungsten chassis  ? ............ the Model Rail USA tank ( from Dapol ) was going to have one but arrived ( from Bachmann ) with plain vanilla mazak ! ( and is a little light as as a consequence ! )

Has anyone actually got round to producing a model loco with a tungsten chassis  ? ............ the Model Rail USA tank ( from Dapol ) was going to have one but arrived ( from Bachmann ) with plain vanilla mazak ! ( and is a little light as as a consequence ! )

Interesting. Surprised it never made its way into later Dapol OO gauge models nor even DJM ones.

The factory is going to have fun fettling tungsten but the end result is a very solid chassis.