IRM To Produce CIE A/001 Class Locomotive

23 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Very nice video - soundwise the real ones emitted a Hymek like growl up and down the rev range, curious mix of EMD and MetroVick.

Another game changer here and a preview for other IRM/Accurascale locos

Superb sound. I like the way the driver’s door sounds without the engine having to be started. On some projects, the engine start functions as a master sound switch, so that the driver has to start the engine before he can get into the cab. :nono: I noticed the lights dimming when the engine started too. It bodes well for the Deltics and the following models.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Very nice video - soundwise the real ones emitted a Hymek like growl up and down the rev range, curious mix of EMD and MetroVick.

@AY Mod could I just say this is a lovely review. Such a change from either many of the amature reviews on youtube, or the very superficial mag reviews that have been put out by various outlets for a while.

And to the accurascale lads @Accurascale Fran @McC and @Patrick, congratulations on your first loco almost being with customers. It really looks a wonderful piece of model engineering, and here's to many more prototypes on both sides of the Irish Sea

p.s. from a self interst point of view, will DCCSoundUK models be supplied with switch-fitted blanking plates (another wonderful innovation), as an alternative for the sound decoder if removal is desired at a future date. I know Bachmann (used to) supply blanking plates with their DCC fitted models.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

will DCCSoundUK models be supplied with switch-fitted blanking plates (another wonderful innovation), as an alternative for the sound decoder if removal is desired at a future date. I know Bachmann (used to) supply blanking plates with their DCC fitted models.

They will include the blanking switch chip in the accessories, yes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That is how reviews should be done, many thanks.

What a brilliant model, shame I don’t model Irish railways, but with the way the body comes off it would be so easy to repaint it.  Oh dear, that’t got me thinking and its pay day tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Very encouraging for the UK models to come!

Here's a thought.

If one has two parts of a layout, one controlled by DC, one by DCC, linked by a isloated track section (i.e. fully electrically isolated at both ends, and in the middle, such that there is no electrical bridging between two sections), I'm guessing one use the capacitors to 'coast' from one control system to the other.

However, how would the decoder cope with loosing power on digital and regaining on analogue? Would it fry something?

I'm guessing the other way (analogue to digital), unless the controller is set to the chip number being 'received' the loco would just stop dead when the charge runs out.

I have not got this setup, and its more of a theoretical thought at the moment...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Here's a thought.

If one has two parts of a layout, one controlled by DC, one by DCC, linked by a isloated track section (i.e. fully electrically 

The capacitors charge and run only on DCC control / power supply. 

14 minutes ago, McC said:

The capacitors charge and run only on DCC control / power supply. 

OK, so could coast in one direction only!

Also means tha one would still need a 'quick' change in voltage direction to keep the sound running when reversing under a DC control (based on how my loksound v4 decoders in my Britannias behave).

All good.

• Moderators

Programming Everything today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs things, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.”

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Hi, been phoning the Accurascale office for over a week now without success as i need to speak to Fran, there appears to be nobody at home, does anyone know when the office  will be open again ?. thanks.

hi Brian

per updates on the website and the voicemail on the phone lines our offices remain closed at the moment  

Our email and live chat are available or you are welcome to leave a voicemail and we’ll get back to you. I’ve dropped you an email directly also. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2021 at 12:15, Troublesome Trucks said:

Will they need running in if they are coming by rail?.It looks quite a long way.

The Crossley engined ones will never make it, probably packing up around Vladivostock, or Omsk, possibly other Russian towns visited by Monty Pythons bicycling holiday of Cornwall sketch.

Have just read the Hornby mag review in the Oct edition, very impressed, now can't wait for the Deltic I've ordered.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

On 17/08/2021 at 11:25, Accurascale Fran said:

1175938544_11_08.2021-aclasstransitmap.jpg.6e422e0f418546c52b69cc8202a428ec.jpg

Hi everyone,

Great News! Our A Classes are now well into their journey from the factory towards our warehouse for final delivery. With the numerous issues around shipping in recent months we felt it was fitting to deliver our first locomotive by rail.

The locos are currently travelling the 7.500 mile rail journey across China, Russia and Europe where they will then transfer to ship for the final leg to Ireland. They will land with us in the first week of September and arrive with modellers in mid September, smooth travelling permitting!

With four running numbers already sold out on pre-order and others not far behind they are not going to hang around too long. Order yours today: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive 

Cheers!

Fran

Evening Fran - just wondered if you had had an update on where your container is (bobbing up and down on the high seas or stuck in a siding in Siberia!)

Looking forward to my three A's!

Mike

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, mikeford2002uk said:

Evening Fran - just wondered if you had had an update on where your container is (bobbing up and down on the high seas or stuck in a siding in Siberia!)

Looking forward to my three A's!

Mike

Hi Mike,

A delay due to a DB strike occurred last week but my understanding is that it’s in Germany now. Not much further to go!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered but how are the rotating axle ends arranged?  Is the A class prone to the same problems as the Hattons 66 or is it a different arrangement?   

Hi Colin,

We did a thorough series of testing of the pre-production models to ensure the locomotives with rotating axle caps performed correctly and without issue. We have used experience from our own wagons using this feature as well as looking at several other models, including American outline locomotives that use this feature that have also been produced by the factory our As have been made in.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy Days IRM A class locos due to arrive with customers in the coming days hyper.gif Epic climax of an amazing 7 year dream. [EDIT] Announced only 3 years ago, its D-Day next week.

Edited by NoelG
clarification

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, NoelG said:

Happy Days IRM A class locos due to arrive with customers in the coming days hyper.gif Epic climax of an amazing 7 years dream

Funnily enough it's only been launched exactly 36 months ago on the 27th of this month :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NoelG said:

Happy Days IRM A class locos due to arrive with customers in the coming days hyper.gif Epic climax of an amazing 7 years dream

I would hate to have a dream like that.

• Funny 1