IRM To Produce CIE A/001 Class Locomotive

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NoelG said:

Hi Fran @Accurascale Fran

That is so good to read and hear. Like the look of that function list especially the inclusion of F5-Drive hold, F6-Load/Shunting, F8-Brakes. All too often new sound projects focus exclusively on sound only, to the detriment of prototypical driving features that simulate acceleration of heavy trains, coasting and scale like braking, etc. Presume these will be ESU LokSound V5 decoders which have ESU's new 'Full Throttle' driving features. Unfortunately another manufacturers recent ESU decoder completely lacked any of ESU's prototypical driving features, not even drive hold was included, so it is great to see the IRM decoder project for this A class will have driving functions making full use of ESU's full throttle capability.  Simulating a heavy train starting off with slow accelataion, and thrashing, like wise coasting along for some good distance after throttle reduced to zero, requiring brake function to bring a train to a stop at a signal or station platform really adds to the prototypical enjoyment of driving a sound enabled model loco. Apologies for the long winded point, but its a passion of mine and it was unfortunate to see other suppliers recently miss the whole point about prototypical driving features that these new LokSound V5 decoders facilitate but only if programmed as part of the sound project. Independent decoder developers such as Keith and Neil really make use of these prototypical driving features. 

Hi Noel,

Thanks and correct.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Noel,

Thanks and correct.

Cheers!

Fran

Cheers, Yes that's good to hear. All too often sound project developers have never seen the prototype in real life, nor even a video of it in operation that they are coding a project for. Not a clue how they operated nor were driven. It's good to know this sound project is designed by railwaymen who both know models and the actual prototypes. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Irish Model Railways have just sent out an email with information about progress, plus this handy chart (yet another great innovation):

"With the A Classes about 6/7 weeks away from production completion we have received some requests recently regarding which locos are about to sell out. 

"So, to help you plan strategically for your A Class purchases, we have drawn up this leader board to demonstrate what locos are about to sell out in the short term, and which ones are likely to be available for longer. As you can see below, A23r is the most endangered species at this moment."

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 17.04.33.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Mel_H,

Many thanks for posting. Sales have been strong since we published the above list, so we will have to do an updated one next week. We are also working on one for the Deltics which we will publish early next week to help customers out with planning.

Also note that all customs and VAT will be taken care of and not charged extra fees at the doors for all IRM products and we have done a lot of work in the background to prevent this. If you place any new orders via irishrailwaymodels.co.uk you will see all prices are in sterling, inclusive of VAT etc so no worries there either.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

If you place any new orders via irishrailwaymodels.co.uk you will see all prices are in sterling, inclusive of VAT etc so no worries there either.

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran,

Can I support my local model shop and buy from them, or is this only available from the IRM website direct?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forget about the box! Look at the model, its a beauty!  Now can i really stretch rule 1 to include a fleet of these running around my 1979ish manchester layout?  Im simultaneously trying to convince myself to resist the urge whilst dreaming up a fiction that involves a holyhead dublin irish sea tunnel and a dedicated fleet of standard gauged 001s. Maybe with gauge changing bogies, talgo style? For a man vic to dublin hourly intercity service.... oh dear, im in danger of spending money!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Forget about the box! Look at the model, its a beauty!  Now can i really stretch rule 1 to include a fleet of these running around my 1979ish manchester layout?  Im simultaneously trying to convince myself to resist the urge whilst dreaming up a fiction that involves a holyhead dublin irish sea tunnel and a dedicated fleet of standard gauged 001s. Maybe with gauge changing bogies, talgo style? For a man vic to dublin hourly intercity service.... oh dear, im in danger of spending money!

Anything can be justified.  I started running this on my layout twenty years ago :)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 02/07/2021 at 06:38, The Ghost of IKB said:

They were built in Manchester not long after the Woodhead electrics, why not imagine BR procured a few to cover the follow on services that swapped from electric traction at Godley and Guide Bridge, by the late 1970s they be doing all sorts around Manchester as the Woodhead wound down.

Of course you'd need to repaint them.......

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, McC said:

built in PowerPack Supercapacitors as standard too

Oh yes, I'm enjoying its party tricks; flange marks in several sheets of A4 attest to its capabilities.

The easiest loco to fit a decoder into to boot. I reckon the whole process could be done in 10 seconds without rushing.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3