Hitler's Holocaust Railway with Chris Tarrant

EddieB

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But have they experienced "anti-semitism" (not really the right word for anti-Jewish) in the Labour Party or have they believed what certain parts of the rightwing press have been saying but for which there seems to be remarkably little evidence.

As I wrote. I have not discussed the matter with any one from the Jewish community.

I can understand if the odd person fell out with the Labour Party, but for a whole group of highly intelligent and knowledgeable people to do so, seems to be a rather unusual occurrence.

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Labour may not be as daft as many think .Check out how many Muslims  vote as opposed to Jews.Check the maths .I state this only as a reason not a political comment .

That assumes that most people of different religions cannot stand side by side.

Whilst there are many religious people who have a hatred of other's religious beliefs I believe most would and do live happily side by side, it is always extremists in each religious group that stir the pot of hatred but the majority suffer as a result.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I think there is a huge misconception in society about prejudice, racism, xenophobia etc etc in thinking it is a binary decision thing - you are for example anti-Semitic or not anti-Semitic.

Most people are on a spectrum. In the case of anti-Semitism I suspect many of those elements of the Labour party accused of anti-Semitism hold views based on their feelings about Israel - Palestine but in some cases their views escalate (either consciously or unconsciously) from legitimate criticism of Israel (even there, the tendency to judge Israeli's collectively is quite dangerous in itself) to anti-Semitism. Certainly I have Jewish friends who do feel threatened by it all, it is not just some sort of philosophical debate for them. I think the same is true about most forms of xenophobia. I think most people who hold homophobic views probably feel perfectly comfortable forming friendships with homosexual people at the same time as ranting about gays at times, ditto Islamophobia and most others. And of course a person can be very liberal in terms of some groups and prejudiced against a particular group. For example, I suspect some of those with unpleasant views about Israel and Jews are really right on when it comes to other groups subject to prejudice. And I wish I had a pound for the number of times I've heard people call for an end to prejudice then dismiss somebody for being "male, pale and stale", the irony is genuinely lost on them.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

And I wish I had a pound for the number of times I've heard people call for an end to prejudice then dismiss somebody for being "male, pale and stale", the irony is genuinely lost on them.

Yes, I think it's ironic that those who may have a minority lifestyle, religion or race demand unquestioning tolerance from others but then show very little of it in return to those who may not agree with their views or lifestyle.

DT

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I find it interesting that when a person criticises Israel they are often accused of antisemitism but I have Jewish friends who are very critical of Israel. I also have friends who follow Islam and they are critical of things done in the name of Islam. Never judge someone by what their government says and does! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Never judge someone by what their government says and does! 

Yes, I'd hate anyone to judge me by the statements of our current 'government' or its dysfunctional predecessors!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This thread is going to get locked shortly, I can feel it coming.

Its deviated far enough from the title already which concerned the trains not their 'manifest'.  We all know what that was and what happened when the train arrived at its destination.  Its been on movies and TV innumerable times and that's  what happens in history.  As mentioned already, maybe the world is ripe for repetition; horror stories abound of untold cruelty egged on by certain individuals in power.  Not to mention Israel which suffered the most and now repeats their horror on their Palestinian neighbours with ill concealed American presidential support.

Brian.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

On 14/08/2019 at 20:04, Nearholmer said:

At the risk of trivialising the most serious of topics, it does say something that a thread with the title that this one has has suddenly morphed to be about Brexit ...... it’s supposed to work the other way round.

Goodwin's second law.

Any discussion about Hitler will eventually turn into a discussion about Brexit 

Applying both Goodwin's laws it surely follows that any discussion at all will eventually turn to Brexit.  That does seem to be recent experience lol. ;)

Edited by Colin_McLeod