1980's signalling for small BLT/Minories

I don't suppose any pictures exist of the signal box? The only thing I can see is in an early photo (70's I guess?) with what looks like a plate layers hut at the end of the platform.

I have had no luck finding a photo of the signal box so far but one may well turn up either of the original or the 1959/60  replacement talking of which this closed 42 years yesterday !  The plate layers hut might be the box but unlikely. However it might have looked something like one being of a late design and brick built.

The 1959/60 replacement was a distinctly uninspiring Southern Region type 16 box. So uninspiring in fact that I can't remember exactly what it looked like even though I must have seen it dozens of times. There were quite a few other examples of the type around (indeed I believe Shalford still exists but not used as a signal box), so googling should find you pictures of some of them.

My inclination, knowing that the whole station was rebuilt in 1926, would be to go for a "standard" early Southern Railway box much in the style of Reigate.

The former maybe, but looking at the prototype shots and some random googling, I think this singularly unaesthetic building may do! http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/other-wwii-defensive-structures/arp-sgnal-box/arpthornhill/

It's interesting that the prototype shot of the real box (thank you!)   is dated 1975 and there is no freight line to the coal yard (in another picture dated for the 1970's it is still extant)

The former maybe, but looking at the prototype shots and some random googling, I think this singularly unaesthetic building may do! http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/other-wwii-defensive-structures/arp-sgnal-box/arpthornhill/

Thornhill is very obviously a Scottish take on the standard LMSR ARP box design, only appropriate if you modelling a ScR ex-LMS (or ex-CR, GSWR or HR) location. 

Where would we be without flickr! These photos show most of what you need to know . The signal gantry would not be hard to make notice it once spanned the run round loop as well that was provided with third rail along with a few others in the goods yard ( Now the car park ) a photo of which can be found on another site. The Bachmann box looks fine for the job. The goods yard appears to have closed circa 1968 and the run round loop a bit later.

No one could fault you for using a Southern Railway ARP box design (perhaps the original had been destroyed by a bomb as a good few were). This one would be suitable and there is a good drawing of the similar but smaller Dean Hill box in Pryer's A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals. Making a model of one would be a relatively simple task.

post-10038-0-49982100-1541672587.jpg

• Like 1