GWR/BR B set interior colors.

derekofaustralia

There is a little bit of interior stuff in http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries1/baugh.pdf. From recollection, partition walls were cream, and the upholstery was a dingy (and filthy) maroon-red. I never went in first class, but I suspect the upholstery was probably a dingy blue.

Thanks Miss Prism, so we think the seating colors in the lionheart models are possibly wrong?

Been looking on the net all day for at least a photo or two. But no luck.

Cheers, Derek.

Thanks Miss Prism, so we think the seating colors in the lionheart models are possibly wrong?

I do not know what the seating colours in the Lionheart models are. My recollection and suppositions of dingy maroon-red and dingy blue are possibly faulty, and I am happy to defer to Lionheart's portrayal, which is probably better researched. Pete Speller (K14 here) of the GWS might be along soon to provide better gen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a little bit of interior stuff in http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries1/baugh.pdf. From recollection, partition walls were cream, and the upholstery was a dingy (and filthy) maroon-red. I never went in first class, but I suspect the upholstery was probably a dingy blue.

Certainly the standard 'dingy red' in BR days an I too would presume that any 1st Class seats would have been covered in the standard 'dingy blue'.

• Like 1

CPL do sheets of seating colours in their range that might be of help.

https://www.cplproducts.net/temporary-catalogue.html

If you click on Latest News and scroll down to "Upholstery", you'll find seat pattern samples.  I copied these and joined them together to make a page sized sheet.  You'll need to futz about a bit to get the size right.  Print them onto self adhesive parcel labels and add them to the seats.

I have a pair to do for a friend so I'll watch this space.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dingy being the operative word.  I've done the interiors of my old Airfix B set, now repainted to early BR crimson from the odd purple maroon colour they used, in this way with cream partition walls.  I always paint the inside of my coach roofs white if they are not that colour already as if helps spread the light around in there a bit better, but in reality I think the roof interiors were cream as well, or got that way in the smoking compartments!

I don't know if they were different in GW days.

We used to amuse ourselves by beating the cushions to raise impressive clouds of dust, then wondered why we coughed for the rest of the journey...

• Like 1

We used to amuse ourselves by beating the cushions to raise impressive clouds of dust, then wondered why we coughed for the rest of the journey...

It's a wonder you didn't all come down with some dire respiratory disease.  I think people had more robust immune systems in those days (no wet wipes etc), they were needed.

CBC here recently did an expose on the cleanliness of aircraft interiors...they're not.  (no surprise to me)  There were findings of really horrible bacterias on seats and seat pockets.  Best to wear one of those onesies you see crime scene techs wearing next time you fly.

John

• Like 2

It's a wonder you didn't all come down with some dire respiratory disease.  I think people had more robust immune systems in those days (no wet wipes etc), they were needed.

CBC here recently did an expose on the cleanliness of aircraft interiors...they're not.  (no surprise to me)  There were findings of really horrible bacterias on seats and seat pockets.  Best to wear one of those onesies you see crime scene techs wearing next time you fly.

John

I'm not surprised on the CBC findings either.  We flew with Air Transat last year from Toronto to Birmingham (a shame they've dropped that route now, it was really handy for me) and the seats were sticky and chewed gum stuck in the pocket! yuck. At least one of the flight attendants got a wet towel and wiped the seats down for us. Thankfully the flight back was better, but I wonder what nasties were lurking there!!

Sorry, straying off topic here.

Mark.

• Like 1

Pretty much apart from the walls & partitions which would have been Walnut in the Firsts & Mahogany in the Thirds below the cornice/luggage racks & white above.

Usual landscape Picture/Map/Picture & Picture/Mirror/Picture arrangement between the luggage racks & top edge of the cloth. Visible area for frames approx 16" x 8".

By the mid-to-late 50s odds are the cloth would be red "Sprig & Octopus" (aka "Crowsfoot") in the Thirds and blue "Chestnut Leaf" in the Firsts.

Crowsfoot in Dia. E.158 7313:

post-26141-0-20910400-1540787945_thumb.jpg

Chestnut Leaf:

https://heritagerailfabric.co.uk/catalogue/products.php?product=horsechestnut_leaf

Pete S.

• Like 2

I do not know what the seating colours in the Lionheart models are. My recollection and suppositions of dingy maroon-red and dingy blue are possibly faulty, and I am happy to defer to Lionheart's portrayal, which is probably better researched. Pete Speller (K14 here) of the GWS might be along soon to provide better gen.

It is brown seats for the thirds and green seats for the firsts. The partition walls are crimson as the

coach sides. Roof inside is grey and one partition wall is PCB green, that is the one that holds the socket for the

roof lights. Yep, a bit wrong!!!. but easily put right.

Cheers, Derek.