RAILEX 2019 (Aylesbury) 25 & 26 May

David Bigcheeseplant

I won't be able to get to the show now and fulfil the life long dream of seeing Leighton Buzzard in the flesh.  I can only hope it might appear at some shows in the future...….

Took a trip to Railex today with The Boy; he's only two, and so it was his first outing at a model rail show. My other half dropped us off in town and we caught the bus, which he really enjoyed. Getting tickets on the bus was a really nice idea, and I was quite pleased with the souvenir nature of the ticket - nice and big and something to look at. The Boy was quite pleased hanging on to it for me. The team on the bus were very helpful with the pram I had to bring along too, and were waiting on the roadside with it when we disembarked.

Plenty of lovely high quality layouts, and it was refreshing seeing them through my son's eyes, as he was picking up on random things I didn't see, such as the loco up on a crane on New Kensal Green having its wheels removed (I was more interested in the smoke effects). He was also fascinated with Crowsnest Wharf, even though nothing happened for a few moments (bearing in mind, just 10 seconds is an eternity for a two year old when you're trying to hold their attention). Wickwar was also a standout as one of the layout operators was out the front with a tablet asking people to press buttons to make things happen. A great idea as it does help engage the kids so much more.

We picked up a few bargains too, so all in a pretty good day. Unfortunately for us, we left just as the bus crew were going on lunch, so we had a walk back into town, but I needed the exercise, so I didn't mind. ;)

Oh, and sorry for being 'that' person with the push-chair, but needs must! People were generally very accommodating and the stadium has ample space between the layouts anyway, not like the days of yore at the Civic where things were a bit more 'compressed'!

Looking forward to the next one!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Was not  intending to go this year as I had seen a large number of the layouts before ( some several times already this year) but went anyway. 

Agree with previous comments about the free bus from the station and the lack of layouts set in the present day. Some overseas layouts would also have been nice. I enjoyed the cameo layouts, not normally a fan of very small layouts, but there were good ideas on show as well as excellent modelling. 

Newhurst was the best layout, combining good running and an excellent town scene, something not often seen on an O Gauge layout.

Regards 

Nick

What a terrific day out.  Me and more importantly Mrs O gauge really enjoyed it. One of the best shows we’ve been to.  Looks like a lot of people agree with me from the distance that they travel to get there.  One chap next to me said it was too far to do in one day so stayed overnight.

The three cameos next to each other - Longwood Edge, Midland in Bristol and Newton Heath Works - were marvellous but it really is unfair to mention just a few as the standard was set so high. Leighton Buzzard, what a trick that was to get that there, oh memories of my youth!  

Talking of tricks, really nice talking to Tricky on Midland in Bristol, Gizmo Rail and some others I follow on rmweb. My favourite bit is when the masses have gone at around four o’clock and it’s a bit like a club night. From the above it would appear that others were there that I would have liked to have said hallo to.  I have thought before that it would be so good if we could identify each other because there’s so many good modellers out there, all willing to share their experience on rmweb and I could be standing right next to them. It would be interesting to know if anyone else feels the same. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be done? Sandwich board?  Meet under the clock at12? More seriously, a lanyard or a table like the societies have?

Lastly I would like to thank the organisation that put on the show, not just the people who go getting the layouts but the ones who mark out the floor, clear up and the ones who get the books to balance. Appreciated by those of us that just turn up and watch.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the Railex team for another great show.

Good to catch up with Phil Parker and Chris Foren. (My apologies to both for my usual limited amount of time at these events.)

Phone picture attached from Kensal Green - one of my all-time favourite layouts!

Brian

IMG_3747.jpg

• Like 6

Went to the show yesterday, was well worth the journey from Kent.  all the layouts were excellent, and traders were able to provide me with some things I wanted.  The cameo layout section was great and no doubt very hard to judge.  One of our club member's, Chris Matthews was showing his Bottom Works Sidings there, and we have been watching him making and weathering wagons for the layout, on club nights recently, so it was good to actually get to see the layout.

Colin

Edited by ColinW
spelling error
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, David Rickard said:

Took a trip to Railex today with The Boy; he's only two, and so it was his first outing at a model rail show. My other half dropped us off in town and we caught the bus, which he really enjoyed. Getting tickets on the bus was a really nice idea, and I was quite pleased with the souvenir nature of the ticket - nice and big and something to look at. The Boy was quite pleased hanging on to it for me. The team on the bus were very helpful with the pram I had to bring along too, and were waiting on the roadside with it when we disembarked.

Plenty of lovely high quality layouts, and it was refreshing seeing them through my son's eyes, as he was picking up on random things I didn't see, such as the loco up on a crane on New Kensal Green having its wheels removed (I was more interested in the smoke effects). He was also fascinated with Crowsnest Wharf, even though nothing happened for a few moments (bearing in mind, just 10 seconds is an eternity for a two year old when you're trying to hold their attention). Wickwar was also a standout as one of the layout operators was out the front with a tablet asking people to press buttons to make things happen. A great idea as it does help engage the kids so much more.

We picked up a few bargains too, so all in a pretty good day. Unfortunately for us, we left just as the bus crew were going on lunch, so we had a walk back into town, but I needed the exercise, so I didn't mind. ;)

Oh, and sorry for being 'that' person with the push-chair, but needs must! People were generally very accommodating and the stadium has ample space between the layouts anyway, not like the days of yore at the Civic where things were a bit more 'compressed'!

Looking forward to the next one!

Hi David,

I note that you are local to the Club.  Please feel free to come and visit us any Friday night at the Community Centre at Princes Risborough.  We are having a meet and greet evening on Friday 7th June from 19:00.  More details can be found on the the Club's website:

http://www.rdmrc.org.uk/

Regards,

Gary

• Like 1

Every year I go this show with high expectations and every year my expectation are surpassed.

However, never before have they been surpassed by as much as they were today.  Superb show!

Already I'm thinking of next year and wondering how on earth you follow this up.

Edited by mike morley

Hello

Thankyou all for your kind words about the show.

The Awards at Railex 2019 are as follows:

Best Layout: Sherton Abbas exhibited by David Stone, as judged by the other layouts at the exhibition.

Best Model: The harbour buildings on Midland in Bristol exhibited by Richard Ellis as judged by Jerry Clifford.

Photos of the presentations can be found on our Club website using the below link:

http://www.rdmrc.org.uk/Railex2019/Awards2019.html

I will add more details as I obtain them.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent show - well done to all.

Sadly I did hear that someone nicked All-Components' Camper Van on the Saturday night, which must've been a real downer for them to say the least :( 

May the fleas of a thousand Camels infest the a**eholes of the low-life responsible....

• Friendly/supportive 1

I left home at 5.54am on Saturday and after a trip of 115 miles arrived at Railex in time to have a breakfast ham roll and sit in the car park watching  some red kites swooping and diving and generally enjoying themselves in the skies over Stoke Mandeville while the trains rattled  by on the adjacent embankment. A thoroughly agreeable  start to the day.

What followed was one of the best, if not the best, model railway show I have ever attended.  Things to like?  The superb quality and variety of scales on offer in the layouts, an excellent range of traders ( and yes, I did overspend ) and a splendid venue, not too hot, not too cold, with places to sit down to look at the guide and decide where to go next.  The aisles were a comfortable width even as the day progressed and the crowds grew.  It was good to see others taking advantage of the opportunity to sit down and have a chinwag or a sandwich without feeling they were in the way.

I came particularly to see the Cameo layouts,  and was not disappointed by the quality and variety. They were all inspirational in their way and I hope that we shall hear more from their makers in the modelling press. There  must be many  tips and  constructional lessons to be learned from such superb modelling. Perhaps their constructors could share their secrets.

I would particularly like to thank the exhibitors, traders, the members of  Risborough and District MRC for their efforts in organizing the show, including the selfless members of the Car Park team who stood out in the sunshine yesterday directing us punters in such a helpful way (hope it did not rain on your parade today). Those who travelled from near and far seem to have enjoyed themselves despite the efforts involved in getting there, setting up, taking down and getting home again  too, hopefully tired but happy.

Was it worth all the effort? From my perspective - I should say so!  See you all next year!

Best wishes

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow, what a show! There are one or two shows that stay in my memory, one being the show at Central Hall many years ago and seeing Hursley - though to be honest its only Hursley that stays in my memory. This one was up and beyond and I consider it to have been a privilege to spend today there. My congratulations to all of you who were involved in anyway in contributing to the event and in particular to David Lane; you certainly know how to pick them!! The 24th/25th May 2020 is already in my diary.

all the very best

Godfrey

• Like 2

• Administrators

Best things about the show:

Cameo Layouts. Loved them all, but particularly Midland in Bristol because I love industrial scenes with water.

Midland in Bristol - Basin.jpg

Seeing some of Peter Denny's AVLR rolling stock.

TVLR 2.jpg

Getting my wallet back so quickly - before I realised I dropped it in fact! Thanks to Ian Rippo for telling me I was being paged over the tannoy, I hadn't noticed...

Worst Bit?

@queensquare boasting about having a big Guinness Chocolate cake in a cool bag (one that keeps things cool, not some trendy luggage)  behind his stall, and not offering me a piece. All that 2mm scale modelling makes you mean!

I've put some more photos from the show up on Flickr.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Worst Bit?

@queensquare boasting about having a big Guinness Chocolate cake in a cool bag (one that keeps things cool, not some trendy luggage)  behind his stall, and not offering me a piece. All that 2mm scale modelling makes you mean!

It would have been a very small slice anyway. The O gaugers went away with a larger slice of the cake.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Signalman Rich said:

I left home at 5.54am on Saturday and after a trip of 115 miles arrived at Railex in time to have a breakfast ham roll and sit in the car park watching  some red kites swooping and diving and generally enjoying themselves in the skies over Stoke Mandeville while the trains rattled  by on the adjacent embankment. A thoroughly agreeable  start to the day.

Wondered what those birds were, I was watching them on Saturday and see at least 6 on the way home a bit further down the road. 

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to ask Nick Salzman about his choice of a rather bright red for his broad gauge wagons, when he had a standard gauge wood-framed mink in what I think is a good approximation to red lead, but I couldn't get a word in past some chap who was asking about the mixed-gauge pointwork; then I didn't have time to go back. (See Phil Parker's photos on Flicker, which reminded me). I can't see why there should be any difference in the red used for broad and standard gauge Great Western wagons.

Edited by Compound2632

11 hours ago, O-Gauge-Phil said:

The three cameos next to each other - Longwood Edge, Midland in Bristol and Newton Heath Works - were marvellous but it really is unfair to mention just a few as the standard was set so high. Leighton Buzzard, what a trick that was to get that there, oh memories of my youth!  

It was difficult for anything to be outstanding in that company as the quality was consistently high. Nevertheless all those four were highlights , and Bottom Works Sidings and Lananta should be added to the list. Mini- MSW demonstrated one striking point about a small circular layout - you end up viewing down the line , not across it . A common viewpoint on the prototype but rare on layouts

Newhaven Harbour deserves a commendation as well. While perhaps the layouts were a little heavy towards 2mm and 7mm and definitely skewed towards chocolate-and-cream territory (from the perspective of a OO modern image modeller with ER leanings) there was enough to keep me fully occupied for almost 5 hours - and I didn't even spend any real time at Arun Quay , having seen it at Stevenage in January (not meant in any way as a criticism : a thorough second view will wait for another show). I am now the owner of a resin kit for a 6 wheel Southwold coal wagon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Wondered what those birds were, I was watching them on Saturday and see at least 6 on the way home a bit further down the road. 

Steve.

Reintroduced 20 years ago in the Chilterns, they're as common as muck throughout the area - it's not unusual to see half-a-dozen pairs in the air from our house in the south-eastern suburbs of Reading - as carrion birds, they thrive, like foxes, in suburbia.

• Thanks 1

I am so lucky to live less than 45 minutes from this exhibition.

I arrived for opening and stayed until closing time.

I was blown away by everything.

The 2mmFS stuff was astonishing. 

Everything O gauge was top quality.

The cameo layouts were beautifully presented.

Choosing anything as a best in show would be simply impossible.

Another Railex triumph.

Enough said.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Worst Bit?

As a bystander to the conversation I do seem to recall (if my lug'oles did not deceive me) you were in fact offered a piece if you joined the 2mm Society.

Short arms, deep pockets....... :jester:

• Funny 7

I made the journey again from the Isle of Wight to meet a few modellers and club members, wasn't to sure about this years show, but again a good show by the RD&MRC high quality layouts, some of which were struggling in the heat, fair few derailments, I saw Leighton Buzzard wasn't hot enough so they had the soldering iron out... overall a good show... well done. Also very busy! Was just calming down at 3pm on Saturday.

I have collected some footage and photos, and put it all together, camera died at 3pm as well so I think we all struggled.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDMHFkd

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 5