RAILEX 2019 (Aylesbury) 25 & 26 May

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gismorail said:

I did ask a couple of the operators as to how the steam locomotives produced the steam effects and one told me it wasn't oil based and involved water but was quite tight lipped as to how it's achieved .....any one know the truth :rolleyes:

I just can’t understand that attitude, exhibitions are the hobby’s showcase and if something innovative has been discovered why not share it with others!  If it wasn’t for modellers like Gordon Gravett and Iain Rice sharing their ideas by writing books I know my modelling would be much the worse for it.

Come on chaps this is railway modelling, we’re not in the magic circle!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

1 hour ago, wenlock said:

I just can’t understand that attitude, exhibitions are the hobby’s showcase and if something innovative has been discovered why not share it with others! 

I think you may well find that the people developing this innovation believe it has a commercial possibility, and that is a good reason not to share it with others.   

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Bonafide said:

I think you may well find that the people developing this innovation believe it has a commercial possibility, and that is a good reason not to share it with others.   

If that is the case then I wish them well with it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello All

Here are some of the photos that I took over the weekend:

Newhaven Harbour Exhibited by Wirral & Wigan Finescale Railway Modellers

IMG_2155as.jpg.f0d612e3f435f6b99b1033d451bfea91.jpg

New Kensal Green Exhibited by South Coast Rail Modellers Development Group

IMG_2157as.jpg.9f1ae8eef5632740ff218f1e2363cf3c.jpg

IMG_2186as.jpg.8d0d853a25f0983517a806f58f64817a.jpg

Llangerisech Exhibited by Nigel Ashton

IMG_2159as.jpg.f491e9bf6630acb24f33e6d1de1c9297.jpg

IMG_2160as.jpg.234cc1167c5fed30f8cce28fab6b1165.jpg

Sherton Abbas Exhibited by David Stone

IMG_2164ab.jpg.fe67d8cc830241be4970c72004089917.jpg

Mini-MSW - 'The Banking' Exhibited by Alan Whitehouse

IMG_2165as.jpg.8ab44b3f055c8c897d77edde2d8a2aea.jpg

Lananta Quay Exhibited by Nick Salzman

IMG_2168as.jpg.25039ec0e960128ee38b98e39172375d.jpg

Dewerstone Exhibited by Stephen Sims

IMG_2169as.jpg.3f871dc7cb613198b9cfe1945256169b.jpg

IMG_2171as.jpg.4e0375659d1af6a7da67274939a33658.jpg

Bottom Works Sidings Exhibited by Chris Matthews

IMG_2177as.jpg.fccd31176097f5d00752595afab50a85.jpg

Cameo Callaton Exhibited by Mick Simpson

IMG_2180as.jpg.808649adb2fbd4d3bdf1bfc2a23535a5.jpg

Newton Heath Works Exhibited by Mike Baker & Martin Finney

IMG_2182as.jpg.f3eb947cd773ea6f1f00d04f754a9228.jpg

Leysdown Exhibited by Adrian Colenutt

IMG_2184as.jpg.b8a22eb95c3f8d79bda17926cc871e7b.jpg

Arun Quay Exhibited by Gordon & Maggie Gravett

IMG_2189as.jpg.af098d5bdf5aebbb4adc27ea730950f2.jpg

IMG_2191as.jpg.0225639c3126449e12db7f1d59769448.jpg

Newhurst Exhibited by Cliff Williams

IMG_2192as.jpg.e081edc56a305f33f2f834e206c24be1.jpg

Midland in Bristol Exhibited by Richard Ellis

IMG_2197as.jpg.3e5c17334ee6817467e04033171973d9.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I too wondered about the aspect of synchronising the smoke and didn't get the opportunity to ask.

That said, I understand that it can be achieved if using a DCC system through the decoder set up, I have not tried to attempt this and do not have the knowledge currently.

In respect of the type of fluid I do know of one supplier where a water based smoke fluid can be obtained as opposed to the oil based ones

http://www.directtrainspares-burnley.co.uk/chemicals.html

I have not used this particular product but am also told it would be a better and friendlier alternative ( Usual disclaimers etc ).

Further to the above, where stationary locos appear to omit steam from cylinders I have seen small " disco type" smoke generators connected up to tubes below a baseboard and used for that effect. 

G

• Informative/Useful 2

Responding to the various posters commenting on the smoke effects presented on New Kensal Green  and the perceived lack of information 

forthcoming from our operators I  trust the following will offer some explanation.

1       The most pertinent point is that, yes, the system is still under development and requires  substantial further experimentation

and work.

2        The inventor, Paul, is a friend of the SCRMD Group and loans his own locos to us for use when we exhibit both our layouts.

We feel that we do take risks in showing a system under development, however this is the only practical way to evaluate and

fault find  under exhibition  circumstances.

3        Having spoken to Paul this morning he is unsure still if there is a commercial future for the system, he has had several  interested

people at the few shows we have attended so far and is happy to talk to anybody  about the idea whether commercially or just as

an inquiring modeller.

4       The group will be showing the system again at the GETS show in October when Bournemouth West  will have around ten locos

fitted by Paul, hopefully including a Lord Nelson, any one who attends is more than welcome to enquire and discuss with him.

5       I trust this will dispel the notion that we are Magic Circle members or belong to a secret society rolling up our trouser legs or

such !

Chris Knight

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Evertonian said:

Having spoken to Paul this morning he is unsure still if there is a commercial future for the system, he has had several  interested

people at the few shows we have attended so far and is happy to talk to anybody  about the idea whether commercially or just as

an inquiring modeller.       

In that case is there any possibility that Paul, or indeed one of the New Kensal Green Team could give more details via an RMWeb posting please, for those of us who won't be able to attend the October show?  I would love to have asked more about it at Railex, but the stand design is such that, at Railex at least, it wasn't easy to be able to do so (the Team effectively being "inside" the layout).

Many thanks

Brian.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 00:14, wenlock said:

Arrived back in Cardiff at 10.30pm after a very enjoyable weekend.  I was surprised and delighted that Sherton Abbas won best in show, particularly as all the layouts on show were such excellent examples of railway modelling!  

Certainly well-deserved.

Just think how amazing an LNER variant would be.....

Hat, Coat, long gone....far,far,away....:jester:

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Certainly well-deserved.

Just think how amazing an LNER variant would be.....

Hat, Coat, long gone....far,far,away....:jester:

Or Midland. Now we're talking...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Well,  I enjoyed my annual pilgrimage to Railex,  some fantastic modelling right across the board.  This year I had the girl friend in tow and her view of the show was quite refreshing as she obviously had an unbiased view on the layouts. 

The subject matter, for the Cameo challenge was quite diverse and the standard was very high, my choice would be any of those facing Wild Swan books.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, polybear said:

In that case is there any possibility that Paul, or indeed one of the New Kensal Green Team could give more details via an RMWeb posting please, for those of us who won't be able to attend the October show?  I would love to have asked more about it at Railex, but the stand design is such that, at Railex at least, it wasn't easy to be able to do so (the Team effectively being "inside" the layout).

Many thanks

Brian.

They are in the middle of developing a system that could potentially have commercial applications. It's hardly fair of anyone to expect details posted on RMweb to give competitors a head start in developing their own versions. From what I know of the way it works, the overwhelming majority of people will want to wait for something they can buy pre-fitted to a model anyway but that wouldn't stop someone trying to rip the idea off. 

Hi Polybear Brian)  -     Paul is away from home visiting family, I will contact him again later in the week and put your suggestion to him.

Again, without being evasive, the rest of us are almost as much in the dark with regard to the electronics involved.

We just drive 'em guv !   All I know is that the smoke/steam is produced from distilled water and obviously DCC controlled.

Chris K

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Well,  I enjoyed my annual pilgrimage to Railex,  some fantastic modelling right across the board.  This year I had the girl friend in tow and her view of the show was quite refreshing as she obviously had an unbiased view on the layouts. 

And what was that view (without naming layouts if you prefer?)  please. It would be good to know how our efforts are preceived more widely. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

And what was that view (without naming layouts if you prefer?)  please. It would be good to know how our efforts are preceived more widely. 

In 2mm was Llangerisech, because of the way the landscaping was done and it wasn't  just a flat board.

In 4mm was New Kensal Green, because some of the engines smoked and the overall scene was pretty consistent.

And finally in 7mm was Newhurst for similar reasons as Llangerisech and looked like the South of England.

She also commented on the fact that a lot of the layouts were all straight lines and were thus boring, especially if the backscene was just a painted board.

Runner up was Sherton Abbas, after I got here to stand back about 5 foot from it and look at it as if she was leaning on a farm gate a field or two away from it! when the foreground blended seamlessly into the background. 

So there you go a totally unbiased appraisal of what floats her boat, model railway wise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A last word on the smoke discussion, and thanks to Phil Parker for his contribution. Paul has seen the various comments expressed here

and feels that any commercial result will be at least 18 months  in the future  if at all, so feels that any further information would be of

little value at present. He wants to concentrate on improving the system and will do so via exhibiting at shows which the group will be taking 

either of the layouts currently on the circuit.  Thanks for your interest.

Chris K

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:39, Pete the Elaner said:

I always feel that lighting really helps to present a layout well. I don't remember seeing any layouts without their own lighting. Was this deliberate?

My layout has been invited next year and does not and will not have its own lighting - for various reasons including the fact that its set in early morning and in winter/early spring and in a apart of the world (non-Uk) that is noted for being overcast and lastly many of the shops/apartments have fully detailed and lit interiors and they stand out better in average lighting conditions.

If I was modelling Cuba in high summer at mid-day I would flood the layout with light, but to be 'prototypical' I don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

My layout has been invited next year and does not and will not have its own lighting - for various reasons including the fact that its set in early morning and in winter/early spring and in a apart of the world (non-Uk) that is noted for being overcast and lastly many of the shops/apartments have fully detailed and lit interiors and they stand out better in average lighting conditions.

If I was modelling Cuba in high summer at mid-day I would flood the layout with light, but to be 'prototypical' I don't.

I hope that you will be providing night vision goggles,  as the hall was a bit on the dingy side this year and at normal viewing distances if you don't have any lights it will be difficult to see anything.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I thought the lighting levels were fine, no problem at all. Looking at the smoke effects on Kensal Green I thought they let the layout down being hopelessly unrealistic and I do wonder about their legality, bearing in mind that vaping isn't permitted indoors. I look forward to  somebody much cleverer than me inventing a blower for 4mm

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I thought the lighting levels were fine, no problem at all. Looking at the smoke effects on Kensal Green I thought they let the layout down being hopelessly unrealistic and I do wonder about their legality, bearing in mind that vaping isn't permitted indoors. I look forward to  somebody much cleverer than me inventing a blower for 4mm

I've seen these locomotives in the flesh on Bournemouth West, and though it is a matter of personal opinion, to me they are certainly the best smoke effect that I have ever seen. If ever the units become commercially available I will certainly look to fit some.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Oh dear Paul, No lighting rig, dead straight, foreign - are you not going to receive flack on RMWeb!

Bill

PS - my layout meets all the above criteria as well.

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

It is not always brightness which makes the difference.

It is sometimes the coldness of the layout lighting which can make it stand out. Most indoor lighting either gives a yellow or green hue, both of which are unlike sunlight. Your eyes sort of adjust, but not completely.

A cold, white light is much more like sunlight. Layouts which block much ambient light & replace it with a colder light look visibly better. This is why the low (faulty) lighting at RailEx was a benefit for any layout with its own lighting.

I saw a layout at the Manchester show last winter which illustrated this well. It was a small west London layout modelled in winter. The lighting was variable & could be turned up or down from anywhere between dusk to overcast to a clear sunny day, but the operator preferred overcast. The point is that it was white light, not yellow bulb or green fluorescent light.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thought I'd share a few of my photo's, got to say it's difficult to know what to put on as all the layouts were fantastic.

DSCF0527.JPG.a7053c996d6b7af94f28c79e3f947a23.JPG

Arun Quay

DSCF0566.JPG.8161a884c97ce8b0106714d90fd84109.JPG

Central Works

DSCF0676.JPG.9dc3fc1a17dc5d45e95e9203ae688c7d.JPG

Callaton 

DSCF0685.JPG.1b7805dc08e09bba5bed3e61d51674a8.JPG

Bottom Works Sidings

DSCF0545.JPG.a8e69da2869f5cfbe51e31cee92a4361.JPG

Sherton Abbas

DSCF0671.JPG.1f29bfb67447eda61b1ed651fa7d8cec.JPG

Newhaven Harbour

DSCF0576.JPG.f803ca635a8b2ffd58479fb0cc985549.JPG

Newhurst

I really enjoyed the cameo layouts section, the detail on callaton was superb, loved the allotments. Always high quality layouts at this show, could write loads more about it.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Sorry you felt that they let the layout down David, so many other people were amazed by them as they are so much better than what is currently available. As mentioned previously we are trialing this system for Paul ( who is a " very clever chap") under exhibition circumstances. Not sure what you mean by legality?  The system bears no relation to vaping at all.