RAILEX 2019 (Aylesbury) 25 & 26 May

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

When you see Gordon Gravett at Railex ask why he has a rabbit sitting on the tank top of his terrier!

Makes a change from having hares ruining your paint job....

Regards

Dan

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Hello All

Those of you who are taking the advantage of using the Free Vintage Bus, please can you if possible have the exact change for when you are buying your Railex ticket £9 and Programme £1 from the Bus Team, as this will help speed things along.

We have plenty of tickets to purchase.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dan Randall said:

Makes a change from having hares ruining your paint job....

Regards

Dan

It really Bugs me when that happens.

(OK back on topic - Mr Stone has been on the electric telephone to report successful procurement of a horseless pantechnicon, another gentleman has kindly offered to assist in loading of the miniature railway, and Mr Ten will shortly be making his way down from the valleys in the direction of Cardiff and thence accompanying Mr Stone to points East.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, wenlock said:

Very much looking forward to a great weekend!:D

Yep, me too! As it’s my first time exhibiting it’s 50/50 nerves/excitement. I’m sure once I’m set up and ‘in the zone’ it will be such a buzz! My poxy little C Max looked huge a couple of weeks ago but it seems to have shrunk in the car wash...here’s hoping it all squeezes in! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Car all loaded and ready to set off to (hopefully) sunny Stoke Mandeville.

Looking forward to the show and hope to see many RMwebbers there.

Just don't ask too many questions as my voice is still shakey after recovering from a cold!

Nigel

Hello All

Just a point on parking, it does get busy at the stadium, it will fill up quickly, as we only have a few hundred free places, once these are full you will be directed by our stewards to park in the hospital, we have hired one of the hospital staff car parks like in previous years, though this is likely this will fill too.  Please be patient with the stewards as they will endeavour to find you a space as quickly as they can.

There will be plenty of spaces in the adjacent hospital car parks as these are lightly used at weekends, but these charge, there are pay and display plus take your ticket and pay as you leave barrier type parking. If unsure please double check where you are parking, as you don't want to end up with a ticket!  Please do not park in staff only carparks.

As has been suggested many times park at the Friarscroft carpark by Morrisons in the town centre and get our vintage bus in from Aylesbury Railway Station carpark, there is a short walk from the Elm Farm Shops bus stop to the exhibition.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Informative/Useful 3

Hello All

If you arrive at the stadium early and buy a ticket, you can either buy something to eat and drink before the show opens, or take a seat on the balcony over looking the exhibition and watch the part of setting up.

We have lockers that rucksacks and other stuff can be left while you wander round the show.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Thanks 2

Hello All

Most layouts and traders are in the hall and setup. 

See below photo taken by Kevin Wood.

IMG_0641.JPG.03e4750752da796ddd575b500600d351.JPG

Roll on tomorrow.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 6

On 23/05/2019 at 14:19, David Bigcheeseplant said:

When you see Gordon Gravett at Railex ask why he has a rabbit sitting on the tank top of his terrier!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one seeing that wabbit although to my eyes, it has more the look of a Were-Wabbit .

WereWabbitSm.jpg.01f13bb80fdb7226c5e51d715991ba73.jpg

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

It is 4;30 am and I am just setting off from Teesside. It was much easier when I lived in Wendover and it was 10 minutes away.

Mike Wiltshire

And I thought I was hard-done-by leaving Torquay at 7!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

It was Railex, so quality was assured. Not a duff layout in sight. Something slightly surreal about seeing one of Rev Denny’s stations after all these years, and there was a ‘Manual Crispin’, Peter’s son, in place of the ‘Automatic Crispin’ described in RM so long ago. TBG was warning that the layout is feeling its age, so I was very pleased to have seen it. I had seen the excellent Sherton Abbas at Taunton RMweb day a couple years ago, but was delighted to fall into conversation with Barry Ten, who was busy managing operations while the owner took lunch. I also was pleased to catch up with Middlepeak, with whom I had had business meetings in a former life, while it was good to meet Jol Wilkinson and talk a little turkey with him about a particular kit. John Lloyd at Greenscene furnished me with some goodies, and I rounded off my visit with a second chat with Jerry & Kim Clifford.

A long-ish day, perhaps, but time well spent 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Satisfying day spent at Railex, absolutely blown away by New Kensal Green and few others, great staff always ready to chat. If I had to make an observation I would have liked to have seen a modern image layout or two.

• Agree 1

Some excellent layouts there, I wouldn't like to name one more than any other. Quite a lot of O scale which is gradually converting me to the senior scale!!

The idea of selling admission tickets and programmes on the Railex bus from Aylesbury station meant we could jump the queue!

The only downside was the chaotic food service, though that is outside the control of the club.

• RMweb Gold

Went for the first time with the wife, had a great day with top quality layouts to enjoy (getting close to some was a struggle but with 4 laps to go back to busy ones we saw them all).

expect to be going back next year.

• RMweb Gold

RailEx visit done. Although it was much smaller than the Miniatur Wunderland I visited earlier this month, the level of modelling was as good, if not better and the paying public were less crammed in than in Hamburg. Whilst singling out a few layouts for special praise, I would like to say that all were of interest and quality as far as I was concerned.

2mm scale is now a real contender in my eyes, although my XXL paws can't cope with it, and the best of those on display I think was Llangerisech - although only by a midge's d1ck.

On the larger front, some cracking O Gauge layouts were present and I couldn't decide between Sherton Abbas and Arun Quay. Both are packed with detail and high calibre modelling.

The cameo models were really good and I picked out Lananta Quay as having both broad and standard gauge track in 3mm scale.

So now to the general scale in which I dabble - 4mm. There were OO, EM and P4. It was really good to see part of Peter Denny's Buckingham in the form of Linslade, how fragile must those components be now? Ultimately (and surprisingly as I am someone who isn't a fan of sound in steam locos) my award goes to New Kensal Green. Blast pipe emissions synchronised chuffs and blowers, a fully working turntable and locos (generally) operating to signalling plus superb weathering - it was inspiring.

Well done to all exhibitors, sellers and of course a great organising team, I'll certainly think about a return trip next year, depending on how a further visit to Didcot is timed. Thanks R&DMRC.

As a post script, Arun Quay's "bunny" raised a few smiles - the Terrier hadn't seized a rabbit and you can see for yourself if you find that exhibited. 

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, I find the larger scales please at exhibitions - 4 mm/ft and under can look small. Bucking that trend, MSW certainly worked for me. I also like layouts where there is something going on at several levels - Longwood Edge, moving up from canal to L&Y to LNWR is a case in point. But I was particularly taken by the possibilities suggested by Dewerstone, with the high-level line at the front. One got the feel of low-level sidings as seen from a passing train.

I think I have become hypersensitive on the subject of out-of-period / unprototypical / plain downright wrong goods wagons...

Great day at Railex, excellent quality of layouts as always, Arun Quay is stunning. I realy liked Mini MSW and central Works and for me the best would be Bottom Works Sidings, loved the belak look and the stock on it. Good to bump into a few people and got a bit of airbrush advice from Mr Bonwick, thanks for that. I bought the new BR in unseen colour, which I'm looking forward to looking through. All iin all a great day, thanks and well done to everyone involved.

Steve.

• Like 1