RAILEX 2019 (Aylesbury) 25 & 26 May

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium

I arrived at 3pm on Saturday; I thought the hall was quite comfortable. It had been unpleasantly hot and humid last year - or was that the year before?

Looking through that footage, I'm reminded that in addition to the red kites outside, I twitched two herons - both 7 mm/ft - and a cormorant; I think the latter was at 4 mm/ft.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

Just landed home from the show.

What a show it was. I have been going to shows since the 1970s and this was possibly the best overall show that I have been to, up there with the famous MRJ show in 1990.

Huge congratulations to David and the rest of the organisers for their efforts in bringing together such a show. It is hard to single out favourites but "Midland in Bristol" (despite their RC problems) and "Sherton Abbas" are real works of art and truly inspirational.

We did have some problems with Leighton Buzzard on the Saturday. Following on from several hours fixing faults on Wednesday evening and several more hours trying to get one or two locos that have developed faults running, we had it all set up and OK on Friday night. After about 20 minutes running on Saturday the problems started, with various solder joints breaking and wires falling off.

It was really not much fun trying to trace tricky faults on a layout that I didn't build or wire up under the gaze of people who had come to see trains running. We had none for a short while!

All was sorted apart from a non critical earth fault on the block instruments and one loco failure as an outside crank came loose on the 4-4-0.

After that, things improved and the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday was much better, with the only problems being that the variable heat and humidity altered the friction that holds the levers over and some had to be held to work.  

It was enough to make me think that the time has come to stop bouncing the layout around in the back of cars. We have had a good run and got away with on several occasions when we thought things had broken and they just started working again.

So unless it is perhaps for some special anniversary or suchlike, I consider that Leighton Buzzard is now retired from the exhibition circuit.

Many thanks to all those who have said nice things about the layout and about us taking it out and to the Stephen, Judy, Crispin, Juliana and Laurie for making its last show such an enjoyable one.

It has been a great pleasure, even an honour, to have been able to bring the layout out to allow the work of Peter Denny to be seen by a wider audience.

Next time I am spotted behind a layout, it should be one that I have built!   

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

So unless it is perhaps for some special anniversary or suchlike, I consider that Leighton Buzzard is now retired from the exhibition circuit.

Very glad to have had the opportunity to see it. More railwaylike realism in a small space than on many a larger layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I arrived at 3pm on Saturday; I thought the hall was quite comfortable. It had been unpleasantly hot and humid last year - or was that the year before?

Looking through that footage, I'm reminded that in addition to the red kites outside, I twitched two herons - both 7 mm/ft - and a cormorant; I think the latter was at 4 mm/ft.

Pretty sure it was a 3mm cormorant, if it’s the one I’m thinking of - on Lananta Quay.

And whilst I’m here, congratulations to all involved on another excellent Railex.  This is the must-visit show of the year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Worst Bit?

@queensquare boasting about having a big Guinness Chocolate cake in a cool bag (one that keeps things cool, not some trendy luggage)  behind his stall, and not offering me a piece. All that 2mm scale modelling makes you mean!

I've put some more photos from the show up on Flickr.

I should point out that I was simply looking after the cake, and with the likes of the Phil "the cake" Parker on the prowl it needed looking after! As a reward I was given a piece to take home - currently being enjoyed with a large whiskey.

20190526_222954.jpg.2ae6f7dfcea6adb5058ae7febdb339e1.jpg

On a more serious note, Bath Midland shed played host to a couple of guests today. Firstly, Rich Brummitt junior quite rightly felt that there weren't enough red engines in evidence. - who said some commercial N is still a tad overscale!!

20190526_121743.jpg.5499709ea9d54c1377e25e795a5849b2.jpg

Secondly, photographic evidence (courtesy of Alex Duckworth's beautiful model) of the little known experimental electrification of the line over the Mendips!

20190526_132105.jpg.df9281252317b5469948ca6908b3a2ab.jpg

Overall, a great weekend, many thanks to David and the team for making it happen.

jerry

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Arrived back in Cardiff at 10.30pm after a very enjoyable weekend.  I was surprised and delighted that Sherton Abbas won best in show, particularly as all the layouts on show were such excellent examples of railway modelling!  

Huge thanks to Al (Barry 10) for all his help, patience and  good humour over the weekend and to the organisers for such an excellent show.

Great to meet everyone:-)

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Safely back in the valleys. Thanks, Dave, for building such a fine layout which is a joy to operate.

As a measure of how tired we were by the time we got to Cardiff, Dave will testify that I cheerfully got in

my car ... via the passenger door. Hmm, something's not right!

My impression from wandering around the show was that there wasn't a duff layout to be seen, and some really

inspirational modelling, combined with excellent trade support and all-round friendly vibe.

It was, at times (especially on Saturday) unbearably hot and we did have some rail expansion "issues" but Sunday

was on the whole somewhat better. Totally out of anyone's control, of course, so we just made the best of it. It

was reassuring to hear that other layouts were also suffering with similar problems.

Well done to all involved - and a special thanks to Metallica for keeping me awake on the final leg home...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, O-Gauge-Phil said:

Talking of tricks, really nice talking to Tricky on Midland in Bristol, Gizmo Rail and some others I follow on rmweb. My favourite bit is when the masses have gone at around four o’clock and it’s a bit like a club night. From the above it would appear that others were there that I would have liked to have said hallo to.  I have thought before that it would be so good if we could identify each other because there’s so many good modellers out there, all willing to share their experience on rmweb and I could be standing right next to them. It would be interesting to know if anyone else feels the same. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be done? Sandwich board?  Meet under the clock at12? More seriously, a lanyard or a table like the societies have?

Whatever else RMweb is, it 's not a secret society.  For years and years I have been advocating that we make ourselves name badges proclaiming our screen names and hung round the neck on a lanyard.   Mostly I practice as I preach but yesterday I forgot to bring mine.   I suppose that as a penance I should be strangled with my rainbow tie.  The Tie is a good identifier but that's not what it's for.  I'm told that most RMwebbers know who I am.  Heaven forbid that it's true but it's no excuse.  At Railex yesterday there were one or two faces that I will swear that I recognised but could not dignify with a name.  I feel such a fool when it comes to asking someone to remind me who they are!  We have tried RMweb meets but they tend to fail because some members are too busy manning stands to take time out.  Others have to wear delegate badges when they are being delegates and prefer not to mix business with pleasure.   Let's not give up on the idea of getting to know one another though.  I suspect that most of us want to do exactly that.  Discuss!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, wenlock said:

Arrived back in Cardiff at 10.30pm after a very enjoyable weekend.  I was surprised and delighted that Sherton Abbas won best in show, particularly as all the layouts on show were such excellent examples of railway modelling!  

Huge thanks to Al (Barry 10) for all his help, patience and  good humour over the weekend and to the organisers for such an excellent show.

Best wishes

Dave

Well deserved, but then I would say that eh Dave ?

My first time at this show and not disappointed, I found it to have some of the best layouts under one roof that I have seen in many years.

Extremely enjoyable and good humoured too.

G

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, wenlock said:

Best wishes

Dave

And very well deserved too Dave. Sherton Abbas has long been a favourite of mine and extremely well executed. It’s exquisite and Best Railway is a worthy accolade. No surprise to me and plenty of others!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Do 7mm pigeons count...?!

• Funny 3

Thanks for all the kind comments about the show, I am now recovering and still in bed after three days of Railex, as by last night I was totally knackered probably more so than in previous years. Looking at the steps I walked over the three days setting up on Friday and when the show was open I covered around twenty miles!

it is strange I can work on the floor plan for ages to get what I think works best only when the show opens to find out why didn’t I do that, as  it would have been better to pop Arun Quay to the right of Sherton Abbas rather than to the side. Also as GRA models wanted a corner stand had to move them to the other side of the hall which worked ok, I tend leave a bit of shuffle space to allow for on the day changes.

i will probably just chill out for a bit before I start to look at next year, but all the layouts are now booked.

The lighting was a bit crap this year after the hall being so bright in the past many tubes seemed to be out when we arrived on Friday to set up, I think the stadium needs to get these changed.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I was at the show yesterday and I can honestly say that it was probably the best one that I have been to, every layout was of a high quality and interesting to look at. My main modelling interest is 4mm GWR but that does not stop me appreciating other scales and lesser companies so all in all well done to every one involved. My particular favourite was Sherton Abbas, a well deserved winner of best in show, but not an easy choice. The cameo layouts were interesting and so very varied and like everything else, well modelled. I tend not to take photos at shows these days, so thanks to those that do post.

During the day I also had chance to put some faces to RMwebbers, perhaps my badge helped, but overall I left inspired to get on with some more modelling and try to reach the standards on show.

Brian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

The lighting was a bit crap this year after the hall being so bright in the past many tubes seemed to be out when we arrived on Friday to set up, I think the stadium needs to get these changed.

Oh good - it wasn’t just me then. Whilst I was sat in the gallery having my lunch, I really noticed how some parts of the hall were significantly less illuminated than others, and that there were quite a few luminaires with a tube out, and one or two with no tubes working at all.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Quality modelling by Wenlock of this parish, photo trickery makes it look like it's from an old photo in a book.

... so are that pair of wagons at the front grey or red?

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

Do 7mm pigeons count...?!

Ah, but you are a master of the art of the ordinary and unremarkable, Richard, which is what makes Midland in Bristol outstanding.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, wenlock said:

Best wishes

Dave

Your award was well deserved. You are right, there were some superb layouts there. There is just "something" about your layout that seems to lift it to another level. I spent most of the journey home trying to work out just what it )so I could nick the idea!) is but I got nowhere. Colours, textures, composition, interesting period and stock? Neatness of work, with no gaps or no visible evidence of what materials and techniques have been used? Maybe all these things together.

Whatever magic it is, the layout has it!

It is rare for me to go to a show and see layouts that are inspirational and that I haven't seen before, sometimes many times. Railex was full of them this year and yours got my vote!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good day out, some interesting layouts. Lots of networking was done.

One thing I noticed was that the overhead lighting was turned down (compared with other shows in the same venue). This made looking at the layouts much easier (those with good lighting), though the traders were a bit in the dark.

Tim V

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I did feel that several layouts were too strongly-lit - including, dare I say it, Arun Quay - but maybe that was because the ambient light level was lower than usual, though I wasn't particularly aware of that.

6 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

As per my previous post the lighting was poor due to the lights not working not being dimmed, in previous years all lights seemed to be working and the place was very bright. We will take the issue up with the stadium when we have a post RAILEX meeting with them.

David

Sorry David, I didn't explain myself properly.

I preferred the stadium lighting turned down, it was better.  I thought it was a feature!

Railway modelling is an art form, art galleries have their lighting turned down, throwing emphasis onto the object.

And there was me thinking you'd done it deliberately!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1