Heljan 7mm Warship / DCC Fitting

Mutley

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Although I consider myself a bit of a DCC veteran, having fitted decoders to around 250 OO Gauge locos, my first O Gauge loco is leaving me stumped!

I have a Heljan 7mm Warship and I have an ESU Loksound V4.1 XL to fit to it.  It looks to me as if I can just swap-out the Heljan PCB for the XL but I'm nervous about the lighting.  Can I just wire directly into the XL, or do I need to add resistors to protect the LED's from blowing?

If anybody has experience of doing this, I'd be very grateful for any advice you can provide.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Edited by Mutley

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Although I consider myself a bit of a DCC veteran, having fitted decoders to around 250 OO Gauge locos, my first O Gauge loco is leaving me stumped!

I have a Heljan 7mm Warship and I have an ESU Loksound V4.1 XL to fit to it.  It looks to me as if I can just swap-out the Heljan PCB for the XL but I'm nervous about the lighting.  Can I just wire directly into the XL, or do I need to add resistors to protect the LED's from blowing?

If anybody has experience of doing this, I'd be very grateful for any advice you can provide.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike

I’ve recently done a warship using a Zimo decoder. The main thing to watch with the lights is that Heljan use a common negative and Zimo use a common positive...... they do have two wires to each light so as long as you trace them you should be okay. On the circuit boards with the surface mounted LEDs are resistors so no problems there. I altered the boards slightly to have independent marker and head code lighting.

Hope that helps

Roger

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I’ve recently done a warship using a Zimo decoder. The main thing to watch with the lights is that Heljan use a common negative and Zimo use a common positive...... they do have two wires to each light so as long as you trace them you should be okay. On the circuit boards with the surface mounted LEDs are resistors so no problems there. I altered the boards slightly to have independent marker and head code lighting.

Hope that helps

Roger

Thanks very much for that Roger, really helpful.