Accucraft 16mm stock on 45mm (LGB) track

Evening all,

Having tried to get my head around the various scales associated with garden railways I have hopefully a basic question.

Any garden layout I plan to build will use standard LGB track (45mm) as the stock for it will predominantly come from my fathers layout which has a real mix of standard and narrow gauge stock but all run on 45mm.

I really like the look of accucfafts Welshpool and Lynton & Barnstable stock but presume they are sold to run on SM32 track and not 45mm? If so, how difficult would it be to re-gauge them?

Thanks

Greg

Most if not all accucraft rolling stock includes a second set of different gauge axles in the box, There is a steady2nd hand market on eBay and various Facebook groups for the spare unused axles

Hopefully you still have the original axles Andy it’s an easy swap for you, I have an accucraft live steamer and the wheels Can be adjusted on the axle for different gauges

Dan

• RMweb Premium

Yup, correct.

Only the IoM stock doesn't come with 32mm wheelsets.  They run OK on R4 LGB track but really thump and jump through the point frogs but don't derail, not sure they would be OK on the R1 two foot radius points though.

My garden line is all LGB track, as I already had it from earlier years, it has been in the current garden 15 years.

post-10195-0-67955500-1540841058_thumb.jpg

All my Accucraft L&B freight stock (vans and bogie open wagons) came with both 32mm and 45mm wheelsets (from memory, they were factory-fitted in the boxes with the 45mm sets). Almost all 16mm RTR these days is designed to cater for both gauges. The exceptions are inside-framed steam locos, like the discontinued Roundhouse single Fairlie Taliesin, which only came in gauge-specific versions. As an aside, it means that some locomotives (e.g. the Roundhouse Penrhyn Hunslets and the Accucraft NGG16 Garratt) are wider than true scale, to cater for both gauges.

The Accucraft rolling stock is very nicely made, robust and well detailed - the standard chopper coupling is over scale and keeps the vehicles too far apart, but it works very well in my experience (especially if you want to propel stock over reverse curves when shunting) and it can be modified to make it less obtrusive if needed. I was sceptical about the choppers to begin with, but I now fit them to all my stock in preference to the LGB/hook-and-chain/paper clip alternatives.

David

• RMweb Premium

It has to be said that the scale IoM couplings on our commissioned wagons aren't as reliable as the overscale versions on rough track.  I stick with the big ones as my track is...err...rough!

David, the popular basic series RH locos are fixed gauge too, of course.

• Like 1