Olivia's Trains

richscylla

I popped up to Sheffield last week. I was on a little model shop pilgrimage, visiting Gee Dee, Olivia's, Rails, Digitrains, Tennants and Hereford Model Centre. I had the idea that it would be good to buy SOMETHING from all of them.

To support them mainly, but also I was after a lot of bits and pieces. It didn't have to be big, but just something. And I did, from controllers, rolling stock, locos to pots of paint and plastikard. The only shop I didn't get anything from was Olivia's. When I went into the shop I was firstly amazed by the amount of stock they had in cabinets. And it was so organised, I really liked it. Nothing had prices on which was a little frustrating - having to ask each time I was interested in something became a little bothersome to me, and I'm sure the young lady behind the counter. That was certainly a reason I didn't buy anything. The second was when I did get prices, they were very high. I know lots (all?) of the models are custom re-sprays and/or DCC Sound fitted, but I just found the prices were very high. But mostly I din't buy because I didn't really feel welcome there. There was so many staff members, I must have seen 5 or 6 different people and no one said hello when I came in, and it wasn't until I'd been in there quite a while did anyone say hello and explain a little about the shop. Maybe it was an off day for the staff, but it just didn't feel great being in there and compared to all the other shops I went to over the few days (where the staff all welcomed me, engaged with me, and ultimately ended up selling to me) it fell along way short. 

Was I just unlucky or is this the norm?

See the other Olivias Trains thread, your not alone, there are many many pages of similar comments.

I had similar when on the phone to them to order a sound chip. In fact I would say the reply to a simple question was both rude, offensive and un called for.

I put the phone down.

Glad you found some real good shops though.

EDIT = Strange, I cant find the other thread now???

Edited by Andrew P

I did look through the first 8-10 pages of this thread and couldn't see one on Olivia's. Yeah - I wasn't short of great shops on my trip, I was really impressed with Rails (especially their new emporium) and Hereford model shop was a treasure trove. The service in Digitrains was top notch.  

See the other Olivias Trains thread, your not alone, there are many many pages of similar comments.

I had similar when on the phone to them to order a sound chip. In fact I would say the reply to a simple question was both rude, offensive and un called for.

I put the phone down.

I put the phone down.

With all the negative energy it was absorbing maybe NASA took it away to form a new dark energy propulsion engine.

Ooooh, are we being censored? Is Big Brother watching? Has money changed hands? The conspiracy theories start here.

I feel I need to post some positives about Olivia's. I live in the US but am making a layout based on British locomotives, scenery etc. I did a fair amount of research and decided to buy my engines from them. They have shipped items to me and they came in perfect. Also i visited their shop when on holiday in the UK last May. They were very helpful, offering tea, and gave me a couple of nice coffee mugs. Most of their staff appeared to be techs preparing items. I also understand they fit the Hatton's locos with sound, and will match their prices on many items.

When I came home everything ran perfectly.

I also visited Rails and found them less attentive. Rails prices are cheaper on many items though.  When I purchase items now most currently come from Hatton's as I find their shipping costs are less.

When it closes for good there'll be people bemoaning another local shop lost. 

I'm a cyclist and local cycle shops were the same, odd good ones and many rude beggars. These days there are far fewer and mostly belonging to a chain.

Not really, I won’t bemoan the passing of something that isn’t nice . Not exactly the last model shop on the planet !

• Like 1

I'm a cyclist and local cycle shops were the same, odd good ones and many rude beggars. These days there are far fewer and mostly belonging to a chain.

Even one of the big chains is now going.

Evans, gobbled up by Sports Direct.

A fate I would not wish on any one.

Bernard

Whenever I've been in person they've always been fine with me (although from reading the other thread I'm very reluctant to order online).  I use them as a last resort for locomotives that are no longer in stock at retailers or on ebay due to their high prices.

There are much better shops out there in regards to pricing.  I haven't used their DCC fitting/custom mod service so I can't comment on that.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

I have made the journey to Olivias Trains on a handful of occasions now - something that isn't pleasant, but that's because of the really awful trains you have to travel on to get there!! So, for me to spend nearly 3 hours on a Cross Country voyager, the service must be friendly and good. I use the chip fitting service mainly and, agreed, its not cheap, but I know Im going to come away with what I want, doing what I want it to do. Simple.

It did feel a bit of an intimidating place to go into at first, but now I know what to expect and you get a cuppa thrown in too!  

• RMweb Gold

I have made the journey to Olivias Trains on a handful of occasions now - something that isn't pleasant, but that's because of the really awful trains you have to travel on to get there!! So, for me to spend nearly 3 hours on a Cross Country voyager, the service must be friendly and good. I use the chip fitting service mainly and, agreed, its not cheap, but I know Im going to come away with what I want, doing what I want it to do. Simple.

It did feel a bit of an intimidating place to go into at first, but now I know what to expect and you get a cuppa thrown in too!

Thank you for restoring a sense of balance to this thread. Although I've never visited the shop and I have but a short Voyager journey,it must not be overlooked that Neil Bishop.....despite a certain reputation on this forum....does in fact run a business that many find useful and rewarding.Like it or not,he is a prime mover in the retail world of Model Railways,as his relationship with Hattons,for instance,will testify. He also advertises in most magazines.True he prefers,unlike many of our retail members,to avoid this forum.

He does have a place and plays a key role for msny. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater,please.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That only works for them because if you are willing to pay have DCC sound fitted to a model by them you are unlikely to ever take the body off and see all the broken clips, the trapped wires, the black tack all over the PCB etc, you will just assume that because it works they have done a good job.

Richard

Ah, but as I said Richard - thats all i care about.

I did, once, use a repainting service in Leeds - Im still waiting for the handrails (for my coaches) to be returned - that isnt what id call good service, so havent been back :no:

Thank you for restoring a sense of balance to this thread. Although I've never visited the shop and I have but a short Voyager journey,it must not be overlooked that Neil Bishop.....despite a certain reputation on this forum....does in fact run a business that many find useful and rewarding.Like it or not,he is a prime mover in the retail world of Model Railways,as his relationship with Hattons,for instance,will testify. He also advertises in most magazines.True he prefers,unlike many of our retail members,to avoid this forum.

He does have a place and plays a key role for msny. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater,please.

I do t think I’d call them a “ prime mover “.

I’d be surprised if they were up with the real big outfits in terms of turnover

• RMweb Premium

They are definitely not cheap, and that’s the main reason I have never bought one of their specials the CL76/77 even though I have fond memories of Triang Electra whizzing around an oval of track in the dark sparking off the overhead wires, great stuff.

But as an example the current Hattons sale has those models for £99 and £109 respectively, Olivias are STILL selling them for £165 as they have since launch, they don’t do themselves any favours!

• RMweb Gold

I do t think I’d call them a “ prime mover “.

I’d be surprised if they were up with the real big outfits in terms of turnover

Well sorry I think he is.He deals on a regular basis with Hattons and has commissioned the Clss76&77 .Granted in terms of sheer volume he does not compete but he has a definite niche in the market .You may not like him but you cannot ignore him. He divides opinion sure but there are those who swear by him.....rather than at him Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

Agree to quite an extent, although I have never dealt with them directly and there are no doubt some which have had less than happy contact (then again I could say that about a huge 7mm dealer, say no more) and then again more than likely many more who have had good experiences.

Not all dealers are entirely customer orientated unfortunately (not implying Olivia’s fall into this category).

But we should be at least grateful Olivia’s have had the gumption to fund the CL76/77 and provide some interesting other services over and above just box shifting.

• Like 1

Well sorry I think he is.He deals on a regular basis with Hattons and has commissioned the Clss76&77 .Granted in terms of sheer volume he does not compete but he has a definite niche in the market .You may not like him but you cannot ignore him. He divides opinion sure but there are those who swear by him.....rather than at him

It’s not a case of not liking him, there’s enough negative feedback on here to ensure I never need set foot in his premises. Jus5 because he deals with hattons does that make him special ? Some sort of box shifter groupie or something ? I understand like a lot of businesses they shift limited editions back and forwards presumably to get more exposure and shift more

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that the truth. If you go on many cycling forums people talk about a fabled entity called the "local bike shop" or "LBS" with reverence, few seem to want to admit to the fact that many of them were rubbish and not especially missed. There seems to be a general trend in the media and entertainment to link big business with evil and venerate small businesses as paragons of virtue.

I didn't start this thread because I wanted to pile in on Olivia's, I really didn't know that there was a section of the users on here who had already made similar comments. I just found that of all the 6 or 7 shops I visited over my two days of travel, they were the only one where I actively felt uncomfortable and unwelcome. I was EXCITED about going to Olivia's, I love model shops, but the experience this time was just bad. 

I didn't start this thread because I wanted to pile in on Olivia's, I really didn't know that there was a section of the users on here who had already made similar comments. I just found that of all the 6 or 7 shops I visited over my two days of travel, they were the only one where I actively felt uncomfortable and unwelcome. I was EXCITED about going to Olivia's, I love model shops, but the experience this time was just bad. 

I wouldn't worry - Olivia's is a shop that divides opinions and there is nothing people like on RMWeb more than giving opinions (a good thing otherwise it would be very quiet).

At the end of the day you have had a poor experience and as is your right you have shared it, as many people swear at him as swear by him, unless he is actually Walter White/Heisenberg and the shop is just a front then he must have enough people who like him to keep his business afloat.  imagine though how successful he could be if he worked on those who swear at him.

• Like 1

Ive only ever had positive experiences at olivias.

I travel up from stoke and am always made to feel welcome and asked if i want a cuppa. 

Theyve done sound in quite a few locos for me but as ive gained experience id tend to do the sound fitting myself now, but Ill still use them next time I want lights / stay alives fitted to my 08s and 20s

• Agree 1