Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Looking at any trends for items that have sold out I have identified a few common factors.

All the Hornby steam engines to have sold out are below £100.

R3108 T9 Southern is the only black locomotive that has sold out.

31-660A Class 47 University of Nottingham is the only Bachmann locomotive that has sold out and at £124 is the only 00 gauge model over £100 to have sold out.

I may have missed some but there is only 1 left of R3303 D16 BR black 4-4-0 cycling lion offered for £74.

Still over 10 in stock of loads of models.

I did not have enough credit to place another order after the sale started so I have been keeping an eye on the sales. I have got a Hornby tender drive King which I am satisfied with. The new King at the recommended retail price was too expensive for me but I was thinking of buying one in the sale as I would like to upgrade my collection.

Now my credit card debt for last month has been paid I can afford to buy a new King in the sale but I am not sure I need one. The new King has been criticised for its colour and Hattons' second hand King has running faults which may be a fault with all the models.

I am also not sure what to do with my old tender drive King. If Hattons cannot sell their new Kings what hope have I got of selling my tender drive King to make room for the new one? Not enough room in my flat for my existing models let alone models in the sale.

• RMweb Gold

I am surprised at the level of detailed analysis of the Hattons sale.

Personally I just looked through to see if there was anything that I liked and could afford, then paced an order.

I do agree about the analysis. Quite remarkable.

Some years ago I attempted to place an order on Hatton’s website, but it said I needed to accept cookies. Since at the time my cookie level was simply the Windows default, and no other website ever complained, I concluded they didn’t need my business. The Sale has not tempted me to try again.

• RMweb Premium

With reference to all the locos below £100 seemingly selling well, is it the glass ceiling, I remember when £50 was my glass ceiling.

I remember when Evening Star broke the £10 barrier !

It is fascinating to see what's shifting and not  and the learning can be used to figure out whether you should buy new models in the first 6 weeks or just wait.........  Of course the key point is you don't know how many models there were in the first place . If its 000's then you may have a chance, but I reckon initial quantities are lower.   Still if its on the nice to have list, and you are not gutted if you miss out , the lesson is you might as well wait and see.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago I attempted to place an order on Hatton’s website, but it said I needed to accept cookies. Since at the time my cookie level was simply the Windows default, and no other website ever complained, I concluded they didn’t need my business.

Ian,

Your browser can be set up to delete all cookies at the end of the session.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Your browser can be set up to delete all cookies at the end of the session.

Mike

My point was that as a non-geek I hadn’t meddled with my settings at all. Hatton’s website thought I was excluding their cookies, but no-one else did.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at any trends for items that have sold out I have identified a few common factors.

31-660A Class 47 University of Nottingham is the only Bachmann locomotive that has sold out and at £124 is the only 00 gauge model over £100 to have sold out.

I may have missed some but there is only 1 left of R3303 D16 BR black 4-4-0 cycling lion offered for £74.

One of the first to sell out was actually

R3520 Class 7MT 4-6-2 Britannia 70007 "Coeur-de-Lion" in BR green with late crest

at quite a bit more than £100.   I know because I bought one!

I ordered mine on the 1st November and they were all gone within a few days.

Graham

I,m stunned that all those cheap Smokey Joe's have not yet sold out. Come on people, no layout or collection is complete what a Smokey Joe. Now is your moment to seize such a unique item.

• RMweb Premium

I,m stunned that all those cheap Smokey Joe's have not yet sold out. Come on people, no layout or collection is complete what a Smokey Joe. Now is your moment to seize such a unique item.

Probably because we’ve all already got one. And further if you were in the Collectors club you get another one of the infernal things every year. So hardly surprising

• RMweb Premium

Keep looking through the list from when it was first announced, but there's nothing I want, which is probably a good thing for my wallet.

The only two items I'd be remotely interested in, are the Arriva liveried DMU's Dapol 121 and Bachmann sound fitted 150, both of which I already have. While there is clearly money off, and they are now cheaper than what I paid upon release, it is not sufficient discount for me to think, wow! a bargain, I'll add another to my fleet.

I paid £297 for the Class 150 when it was released which was the standard discount to RRP that everyone was offering. Hattons now have £28 off (9.5%) so as I say, a saving, but in the scheme of things, not enough to have me shouting Bargain!.

If it was truly a Sale of the Century and say 50% or more off, then I dare say I'd be caught up in the whole 'sale' hype and buying some of these.

Hattons are undercutting their Sale of the Century with their 12 Deals of Christmas. At least if you buy all the Birdcage coaches you will only have to pay postage once. I pre-ordered mine and the brake coaches arrived first and then the composites so I had to pay two sets of postage.

It looks like the SECR dark red coaches have sold best and Hattons has over 10 left of each of the crimson and olive green Birdcage coaches. I expect most people who wanted them have already got one.

I notice that 39-612 crimson Birdcage composite is also available second hand with a repainted roof, missing couplings and NEM sockets for £40 whereas the new one is offered for £39.50. I know which one I would buy.

I once bought a Hornby-Dublo 6 wheel parcels van with the couplings broken off and I was unable to replace them. I wish I had never bought it.

I hope Bachmann does not mind Hattons selling their rolling stock at a 31% discount.

I wonder if tomorrow's sale will be the remaining Hornby Kings. Edward Vlll at £99 has sold out now.

• RMweb Premium

I hope Bachmann does not mind Hattons selling their rolling stock at a 31% discount.

The restriction on prices is just supposed to be for the first 6 weeks, isn't it?

Though Bachmann don't seem to be feeling too well disposed towards Hattons at present:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62714-hattons-model-railways-of-widnes-formerly-liverpool/page-84&do=findComment&comment=3389809

Hattons are undercutting their Sale of the Century with their 12 Deals of Christmas. At least if you buy all the Birdcage coaches you will only have to pay postage once. I pre-ordered mine and the brake coaches arrived first and then the composites so I had to pay two sets of postage.

It looks like the SECR dark red coaches have sold best and Hattons has over 10 left of each of the crimson and olive green Birdcage coaches. I expect most people who wanted them have already got one.

I notice that 39-612 crimson Birdcage composite is also available second hand with a repainted roof, missing couplings and NEM sockets for £40 whereas the new one is offered for £39.50. I know which one I would buy.

I once bought a Hornby-Dublo 6 wheel parcels van with the couplings broken off and I was unable to replace them. I wish I had never bought it.

I wonder if tomorrow's sale will be the remaining Hornby Kings. Edward Vlll at £99 has sold out now.

Robin, is your life spent analysing this sale  :jester:

• Like 1