Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

This is what broke on my 'Brighton' when it fell to the floor several years ago. I still have the broken spigot and spring, but I've no idea how to repair it.

Replace it with  nut and bolt - its nearly bad enough to be "design clever", whoever thought the fixing arrangement was appropriate hopefully is no longer working for them nor any other model railway manufacturer.

With 11 days left on Hattons' Sale of the Century you may like to know how they are getting on with selling their herd of Adams Radial tank locomotives.

It looks like Hattons have sold out of Oxford Rail's OR76AR007XS Southern black Radial 3520 with sound. There are also only five left of the Hornby R3422 Southern black Radial.

There are still over 10 left of the Oxford and Hornby version of the late crest British Railways versions, Oxford OR76AR002 cycling lion 30584, Oxford OR76AR003 488 in LSWR green and OR76AR005 in East Kent green. Although a Hornby Radial had a higher recommended retail price than the Oxford version Hattons are offering Hornby R3334 30582 for £59 whereas they are charging £72 for the Oxford version.

If Hattons don't sell all the Radials by 31 December I wonder if they will offer further discounts.

Prob

With 11 days left on Hattons' Sale of the Century you may like to know how they are getting on with selling their herd of Adams Radial tank locomotives.

It looks like Hattons have sold out of Oxford Rail's OR76AR007XS Southern black Radial 3520 with sound. There are also only five left of the Hornby R3422 Southern black Radial.

There are still over 10 left of the Oxford and Hornby version of the late crest British Railways versions, Oxford OR76AR002 cycling lion 30584, Oxford OR76AR003 488 in LSWR green and OR76AR005 in East Kent green. Although a Hornby Radial had a higher recommended retail price than the Oxford version Hattons are offering Hornby R3334 30582 for £59 whereas they are charging £72 for the Oxford version.

If Hattons don't sell all the Radials by 31 December I wonder if they will offer further discounts.

Probably knock a buffer off, and list them as pre-owned at £50 more.......

• Like 2

My Hornby R3311 'Westminster' from the sale ran very well at the Wimborne Railway Society meeting last night. I found it difficult to unplug the wires connecting the locomotive to the tender to put it back in the box. I have got a Hornby tool to do this somewhere at home.

post-17621-0-11782500-1545383869_thumb.jpg

Another member ran his R3170 'Adderley Hall'. It looked very attractive and is excellent value at £49. Although it is one of Hattons' best sellers they have still got over 10 left. Another member did not know about the Hattons sale and he is going to by one.

post-17621-0-64797600-1545384417_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My Hornby R3311 'Westminster' from the sale ran very well at the Wimborne Railway Society meeting last night. I found it difficult to unplug the wires connecting the locomotive to the tender to put it back in the box. I have got a Hornby tool to do this somewhere at home.

Is the packaging the clear plastic wrap style or the hard foam tray style - if its the latter trim it so that it will fit back in all connected up . If it the former it might be possible to carefully trim the plastic wrap to achieve the same.

Clear plastic. The mouldings are too far apart to trim them. The packaging has improved recently so that the wires are already attached.

I have trimmed some hard foam trays so I can put models back without removing the couplings or the connecting wires. Probably ruined the second hand value.

Just an idea but as they are plastic would a cut and shunt approach work with appropriate strengthening of the joint

Re value - only in terms of demented collectors who prefer it if a model has never been taken out of it box.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Another member ran his R3170 'Adderley Hall'. It looked very attractive and is excellent value at £49. Although it is one of Hattons' best sellers they have still got over 10 left. Another member did not know about the Hattons sale and he is going to by one.

I agree. Excellent value. I have a couple just on the shelf as spare power drives. One of the tenders has gone behind a Hornby Star, to replace the large tender. as the full lined tender with GREAT WESTERN on has only ever been released in the Swindon Steam version. You may have to replace the tender handrails, (ibut only if you want to) but a spare rolling chassis and a spare tender for under $50. BARGAIN!

Mike Wiltshire

Are you sure you're not really Hattons_Robin, even I'm wanting an Adderley Hall now.

For a Railroad model it does look extremely nice albeit a bit big for my branch :)

• Like 1

I agree. Excellent value. I have a couple just on the shelf as spare power drives. One of the tenders has gone behind a Hornby Star, to replace the large tender. as the full lined tender with GREAT WESTERN on has only ever been released in the Swindon Steam version. You may have to replace the tender handrails, (ibut only if you want to) but a spare rolling chassis and a spare tender for under $50. BARGAIN!

Mike Wiltshire

I bought one of these to see if the chassis is a good runner. Out of the box it pulled sixteen 12T goods vans plus four GWR goods brake vans on second radius oval. Very smooth at all speeds. Suitably impressed, two more just arrived. Three loco's for the price of one from main range is hard to beat. One will stay original but other two are for projects and spares. I also bought some more brown and cream MK1 coaches with 1959 roundel to make a standard-5 set but cannot find a photograph or carriage notes as such. Composites rare on WR also.

• Like 1

I also bought some more brown and cream MK1 coaches with 1959 roundel to make a standard-5 set but cannot find a photograph or carriage notes as such. Composites rare on WR also.

They were mainly used in certain named trains. I think one was the Cambrian Coast Express.

There weren't actually that many of them.

Some details here.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1948.html

I did have a list somewhere of the confirmed numbers. I'll try and find it.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

They were mainly used in certain named trains. I think one was the Cambrian Coast Express.

There weren't actually that many of them.

Some details here.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1948.html

I did have a list somewhere of the confirmed numbers. I'll try and find it.

Jason

The chocolate and cream livery often but not always included the BR crest and was used on Western Region named expresses after 1956. Please see pages 55 -57 of Locomotive Hauled Mark 1 Coaching Stock of British Railways by Keith Parkin MA.

Edited by Robin Brasher

The chocolate and cream livery often but not always included the BR crest and was used on Western Region named expresses after 1956. Please see pages 55 -57 of Locomotive Hauled Mark 1 Coaching Stock of British Railways by Keith Parkin MA.

Yes.

But I've got a list somewhere of all the known coaches that carried it. That information isn't in the Parkin book.

People assume they were all that livery like the SR Green. But there was only about 100 with a few ex GWR dining and slip carriages.

Just found it in the supplement. I did have it on a PDF (but it must be on my other computer).

RF  301

RU  1901-06, 1913, 1915-16

RB  1646, 1729-32

FO  3085*

SO  3821, 3823, 3879, 3880

FK  13065-7, 13069*, 13070+, 13072, 13079, 13134, 13196, 13263-91

CK  15060, 15067, 15071, 15078, 15080, 15125, 15126, 15339, 15869*, 15870+

BCK 21124-33, 21141, 21151, 21188*

SK  24712, 24330*, 24334*, 24361-2+, 24367, 24384, 24540*, 24543, 25106, 25123, 25135-64, 25384

SK(AUTO BUFFET) 25189*

BSK  34291, 34846, 34859-68, 34885* (B4 bogies), 34890*, 34892+, 34901+, 34903, 34904+

BG  80657, 80662, 80713, 80976, 81015*

*BR Crest. + No crest. Others not recorded.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

The Western Region painted all its coaching stock crimson after 1962 and by 1968 there were only one or two brown and cream coaches left. They had difficulty keeping the cream paint clean and they often had to roster crimson coaches with the brown and cream coaches so they could not keep rakes in a uniform colour scheme.

Brown and cream looks good and I always run my Western Region trains with brown and cream coaches.

Around 1959 Tri-ang introduced a Western Region train set hauled by 'Windsor Castle' and I was surprised that the set contained crimson coaches.

Has anyone noticed if the Heljan O Gauge Disc Fitted Class 20's price have gone crept back up in price to £450.

I thought that earlier in the week these were £420 and it seemed strange for the price to be going back up two weeks before the offer expires.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone noticed if the Heljan O Gauge Disc Fitted Class 20's price have gone crept back up in price to £450.

I thought that earlier in the week these were £420 and it seemed strange for the price to be going back up two weeks before the offer expires.

When I looked some time ago I noticed they were a lot more than the head code variant, which I put down to them being the Hatton’s exclusives. I couldn’t say for sure but I thought £450 was the price.

• RMweb Gold

As an fyi Bachmann produced the Auto-buffet in the Cambrian Coast Express set with 7828 Odney Manor and a 43xx.

Afaik it is the only time Bachmann has produced this coach.

Picture of it here, centre coach.,.

https://www.vectis.co.uk/oo-gauge-Bachmann-31-2000-limited-edition-inch-cambrian-coast-express-inch-presentation-set-containing-4-6-0-br-green-manor-class-loco-no_407976

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I ended up getting another 2 RODs in the sale (sent an O4 back as it didn't run and got a refund straight away - excellent service from Hatton's), and a couple of vans. Now I must try and abstain from any more!

It's tempted me. An Adderley Hall has been purchased..

It has tempted me as well. (I dare not use the phrase “me too” any more.) Moulded on handrails, no daylight behind the steam pipes, no fall plate. Enough to rule it out for someone who tries to rule things out to make the budget stretch; someone who already has ancient models. At £49? A steal. Running is all right but a little stutter at start and stop. Pleased. What’s the alternative? A Bachmann on the way for £135·96 (Hatton’s).

Not that Bachmann got left out. An Arriva 150 with sound and passengers. A great lump of a motor in one passenger compartment but it runs very smoothly. With me, that’s half the battle. It’s my first DMU with sound, so it charms me.

• Like 2

I am resisting, having found some missing boxes for the rest of my packed up N gauge stock I have decided that rather than by a second Black Motor or a first Adderley Hall that would be out of place on a little branch line i should use that money to purchase baseboards for a new N gauge layout - if I am not going to sell it I should use it really shouldn't I.