Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

It's only right and proper that I share any Newly released models, with fellow modellers.

Lol

A very laudable outlook, in tune with the time of year, but over 4/5 years you could date every one, form a short-list, rerun dates with those lucky ladies and finally decide on, say, half a dozen as your harem. Think big.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hattons ebay page has a bunch of their sale stuff listed...

https://www.m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=hattonsmodelrailways&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

If you enter powpow10 at checkout today, you get 10% off the sale of the century price !

Hattons must be wondering what’s happened, the class 128 has sold 20 in 24 hours... @£45 that’s a good deal.

The BP Janus works out £45 too after the discount.

With 5 hours left of this marathon sale I have yet to buy anything and I'm not feeling the need to do so either, not even a £69 Black Motor has been enough for me to reach for my credit card.

The only purchase in months has been a three way point still sat on my fiddleyard patiently waiting for the return of my mojo.

Of course tomorrow could be the start of the sale of the millennium......

• Like 1

With five hours left in the sale I am displaying some items in my collection which were in the sale. I was a bit alarmed about how long it had taken Hattons to sell them because if they cannot sell them what hope have I got?

Yesterday Hattons still had over ten left of the 700s and most of the Radials. It took Hattons a long time to sell King Edward Vlll, King James l and Westminster and the LBSR E4 but the BR Inspection Saloon went quite quickly.

I was thinking of buying Westminster, King Edward Vlll, Sarah Siddons and the Inspection Saloon when they came out but they were outside my main interest and the reduced prices in the sale were too much of a temptation. I am very pleased with the models and with Hattons' service. I held out for a month before buying King Edward Vlll but I was getting so used to the Hattons web site that I bought the King automatically.

I need to do a sale of the century now as my collection is getting just a little bit out of hand.

post-17621-0-57633400-1546283022_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Two hours to go to the end of the sale. 10 R3516 King George llls left, 9 R3517 Seaforth Highlanders, 7 R3534 King Edward lls, 4 3422 Southern black radials, 4 R3586 Sevenoaks and 3 N gauge Midland Pullmans left.

Over 10 2-8-0 RODs, N 2-6-0s, Janus 0-6-0 BP shunters, Adams Radials, Adderley Halls, Holden 0-4-0Ts, 0-4-0ST Pugs, 700s, green Benbow Warships, SR black Camelots, Mk1 2nd opens in crimson and cream, Gresley collections and  yellow Wickham trolleys left.

A very laudable outlook, in tune with the time of year, but over 4/5 years you could date every one, form a short-list, rerun dates with those lucky ladies and finally decide on, say, half a dozen as your harem. Think big.

I like your thinking !!!

You say I ought to "Think Big", quite correct, but I feel that it's the Ladies who should be thinking Big !!!

Edited by Perfect Paul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It appears that the sale is still live. Just checking the Hatton's website and all of the items that are in stock appear to remain in the sale despite it been the 1st of January. 

The original post said that it would end on the 31st December 2018. So it appears that the sale will remain live for the time being. 

Of note though that since I checked a few days ago a few of the diesels have sold including Bachmann 66s and Dapol 68s despite been available for the past two months at the same price. It looks like a few have grabbed a few last minute bargains. 

Is there anyone else just waiting to see if particular items are reduced further? Knowing my luck I will place an order and said items will be reduced again in the near future. 

This post is purely just observational on the Hatton's sale itself and noticing which items have sold recently. 

Sale items still in stock are listed under Bargains tab and manufacturers list as always. I find the word Bargain is a little wide in meaning. There are some coaches described as Bargain for £22 that were a £12 bargain a few years ago.

In the book selling trade it is usual that the lowest advertised price is used to calculate the remainder price for sales of new books. Usually ten percent of last published price. Once a book is marked down it cannot go back up. The remainder price is also used to calculate royalties.

Maybe a similar scheme should apply to model railways. Would upset ebay sellers asking above RRP.

Pretty good chance it's simply no one there to switch off the promotion but equally I doubt they will be lifting the prices on the sale items, if you can't clear something in a 'sale of the century' then it certainly won't selll anytime soon at a higher price.

With five hours left in the sale I am displaying some items in my collection which were in the sale. I was a bit alarmed about how long it had taken Hattons to sell them because if they cannot sell them what hope have I got?

Yesterday Hattons still had over ten left of the 700s and most of the Radials. It took Hattons a long time to sell King Edward Vlll, King James l and Westminster and the LBSR E4 but the BR Inspection Saloon went quite quickly.

I was thinking of buying Westminster, King Edward Vlll, Sarah Siddons and the Inspection Saloon when they came out but they were outside my main interest and the reduced prices in the sale were too much of a temptation. I am very pleased with the models and with Hattons' service. I held out for a month before buying King Edward Vlll but I was getting so used to the Hattons web site that I bought the King automatically.

I need to do a sale of the century now as my collection is getting just a little bit out of hand.

A bit like Robin I've been delighted to pick up a number of items in the sale, that I couldn't have justified at normal, let alone full retail prices. The Met electrics in particular are gorgeous models that are worth having for their quality alone.

Whilst I think it's been great as a customer, I do wonder if the diversion of purchasing power into these items has harmed future sales, plus setting a precedent that if you wait long enough for something you like the look of, it may appear on offer - the Heljan 47xx being a candidate here for the future.

John.

• RMweb Gold

So the sale will last until stocks have gone.

one of the things that helped make up my mind about risking another weathered 58xx was the assumption the price would go back up from £79 to £99 in the new year......plus they only had six left in stock at the time

I looked this morning and they are still at £79 but stock level is at four

Edited by chuffinghell

A bit like Robin I've been delighted to pick up a number of items in the sale, that I couldn't have justified at normal, let alone full retail prices. The Met electrics in particular are gorgeous models that are worth having for their quality alone.

Whilst I think it's been great as a customer, I do wonder if the diversion of purchasing power into these items has harmed future sales, plus setting a precedent that if you wait long enough for something you like the look of, it may appear on offer - the Heljan 47xx being a candidate here for the future.

John.

Well the 1.1 grand I spent on these sale items has postponed my £450 orders on Accurascale goodies. It's a postponement though, I still intend to buy once I recover from the Christmas diner and New Years champagne.

I really hope Hornby do nothing Southern this year to help! (What with 2 more Hs and a Nelson to come already).

Sale items still in stock are listed under Bargains tab and manufacturers list as always. I find the word Bargain is a little wide in meaning. There are some coaches described as Bargain for £22 that were a £12 bargain a few years ago.

In the book selling trade it is usual that the lowest advertised price is used to calculate the remainder price for sales of new books. Usually ten percent of last published price. Once a book is marked down it cannot go back up. The remainder price is also used to calculate royalties.

Maybe a similar scheme should apply to model railways. Would upset ebay sellers asking above RRP.

I bought a coach some years ago when it was on special clearance offer at £18. It has recently been on offer at £38 and has to be a bargain at that price when you consider that similar coaches go for over £50. 

The book trade, from what I see, is very different. Both RRP and the expected selling price are based on sales through one big outlet. I am involved with a small publishing company. We recently used a bigger outfit for a special book and there was a long discussion about pricing, with the conflicting aims of setting a price point that would appear attractive while also maintaining an acceptable margin. I am pleased to say that we seemed to get it right, especially in the US market where we needed the experience and backing of the bug publisher.

Bernard

• Like 1