Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Just unboxed my Bargain Atlas/Oxford Diecast Stobart low loader today. It was purchased at £7 purely as a cut and shut to make a railway swan neck low loader to go with my Heanor tractor (didn't want to cut the Oxford Heanor trailer).

As with all Oxford Diecast models, it is screwed to a plastic plinth. Unlike Oxford's self-branded models which have cross-head screws, the Atlas model has triagular headed screws. Obviously I wasn't going to spend money on getting a unique screwdriver, especially as I had not idea what the screws were!

Some forcefullness with a flat head screwdriver eventually got the screws out. But I'm perplexed as to why these screws were used!

Just unboxed my Bargain Atlas/Oxford Diecast Stobart low loader today. It was purchased at £7 purely as a cut and shut to make a railway swan neck low loader to go with my Heanor tractor (didn't want to cut the Oxford Heanor trailer).

As with all Oxford Diecast models, it is screwed to a plastic plinth. Unlike Oxford's self-branded models which have cross-head screws, the Atlas model has triagular headed screws. Obviously I wasn't going to spend money on getting a unique screwdriver, especially as I had not idea what the screws were!

Some forcefullness with a flat head screwdriver eventually got the screws out. But I'm perplexed as to why these screws were used!

I bought the Class 66 static model by Atlas in Hatton's SotC, and it too had the small triangular screws to fix the model to the plastic base.

Earlier this year I bought a set of 69 various screw bits from Lidl, which had every conceivable bit I would ever need, or so I thought. Forget about your normal flat head, Philips, Pozi etc. This had Allen, Robertson (Square), Torx (6 sided star). It looked the biz. Examining the shapes there was square, 5 sided Hex, Pent, 6 sided Hex, Octo, 12 point..... all shapes. I was sorted!

That is until the Atlas model arrived and I realised there was no triangular bit.

Recommend you seek a set out from Amazon. I ordered these, for less than £3 inc delivery from China. I'm now ready for anything.

post-31758-0-53183300-1546446588.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the Class 66 static model by Atlas in Hatton's SotC, and it too had the small triangular screws to fix the model to the plastic base.

Earlier this year I bought a set of 69 various screw bits from Lidl, which had every conceivable bit I would ever need, or so I thought. Forget about your normal flat head, Philips, Pozi etc. This had Allen, Robertson (Square), Torx (6 sided star). It looked the biz. Examining the shapes there was square, 5 sided Hex, Pent, 6 sided Hex, Octo, 12 point..... all shapes. I was sorted!

That is until the Atlas model arrived and I realised there was no triangular bit.

Recommend you seek a set out from Amazon. I ordered these, for less than £3 inc delivery from China. I'm now ready for anything.

attachicon.giftri bits.JPG

I've done it with a flathead, just very careful (hand) torque application and pressure, but I guess helpful for others.

I have no intention of ever doing those screws up beyond finger tight again. And certainly not spending more to unbox what was supposed to be a bargain model. But thanks for the pointers. Why they used such a rare screw I don't know!

I know you get what you pay for, but deliberately making a model almost impossible to get off the plinth... Maybe this was Oxford Diecast's way of saying 'if you want a model for your layout, but our own-branded ones at £25 a go!'

Edited by G-BOAF

Same problem; different solution. Buying tools one or two at a time is a well-established habit which eventually leads to having a very versatile tool kit.

post-26289-0-38169200-1546478033.jpg

Oxford isn’t unique. I had to buy long-shafted screwdrivers to get into Bachmann’s Class 70.

The screw jammed on one of my Oxford model cars so I sent it back to Oxford and they replaced it free of charge.

One of the items that sold out on the Hattons Sale of the Century was 32-360A 4MT 2-6-4T 80104 with the late crest. RRP £134.95. Sale price £99. It took Hattons nearly two months to sell them all but I am not sure that they needed to sell it at a discount. The model shows 80104 in BR service but it is now preserved on the Swanage Railway shop. The shop was not in the least bit worried about Hattons undercutting them as it had sold 50 at the recommended retail price and had just had another delivery which they are selling for the same price.

The first Bachmann 2-6-4Ts had an opening smoke box door but I don't think anyone opened it and now the door is lightly glued in place.

The station shop did ask Bachmann to produce a model of 80104 but Bachmann's minimum order was 500 which is more than the shop expected to sell. I am pleased that Bachmann decided to make it anyway although it has not got the Swanage shed code.

Picture shows 80104 with smoke box door open yesterday at Swanage turntable.

post-17621-0-72686300-1546513723_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I bought R3332 6029 King Edward Vlll for £99 in Hattons Sale of the Century last month and ran it for the first time at the Wimborne Railway Circle club night yesterday. It ran very well on a running in turn with three Hornby coaches.

post-17621-0-78230700-1546589221_thumb.jpg

I paid the full price of £30 for each coach when they came out but Hattons sale is still continuing. The recommended retail price is now £32.99 but Hattons are selling R4709 composite corridor and R4710 brake 2nd for £14 each. This will not help the second hand value of my coaches if I ever want to sell them. Hattons have still got over 10 left of each after being in the sale for over two months.

Hattons have still got over 10 R3170 Adderley Halls left for £49 each. I did not buy one as I already have Rood Ashton Hall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.giftri bits.JPG

I got a set from ebay for £3.99 including delivery, from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153301432781

A Chinese seller I think, but shipped from the UK and came two days after I ordered (between Christmas and New Year, too).

Certainly fine for using by hand to get plastic screws out - no idea how they would stand up to more serious use.

I ordered a set as I wasn't confident I could work out what size I needed. For the record it seems to be a 2 mm head but a 1.8 mm bit will do given that

not a lot of torque is required to get these out.

I would love to know why they used these screws, but I'm prepared now for anyone else who tries such a nefarious scheme.

Same problem; different solution. Buying tools one or two at a time is a well-established habit which eventually leads to having a very versatile tool kit.

attachicon.gifTriangular Screwdrivers.jpg

Oxford isn’t unique. I had to buy long-shafted screwdrivers to get into Bachmann’s Class 70.

I'm with you on building up a tool set not being a bad thing, but I'd say there's a difference between a regular screw that is difficult to access and deliberately

using a screw head so obscure that it's not even included in most sets of eclectic screwdriver bits.

I'm with you on building up a tool set not being a bad thing, but I'd say there's a difference between a regular screw that is difficult to access and deliberately

using a screw head so obscure that it's not even included in most sets of eclectic screwdriver bits.

I suspect that it might be, MIGHT BE, that the screws are considered a security type of screw and that the Atlas Class 66 is considered a toy, something that small children might get to play with. Therefore the manufacturer wants to reduce the risk of the little 'un using their parents ordinary screwdriver to take the model apart and leaving little screws around to be ingested.

Just my thoughts,not based on any evidence.

The screw jammed on one of my Oxford model cars so I sent it back to Oxford and they replaced it free of charge.

One of the items that sold out on the Hattons Sale of the Century was 32-360A 4MT 2-6-4T 80104 with the late crest. RRP £134.95. Sale price £99. It took Hattons nearly two months to sell them all but I am not sure that they needed to sell it at a discount. The model shows 80104 in BR service but it is now preserved on the Swanage Railway shop. The shop was not in the least bit worried about Hattons undercutting them as it had sold 50 at the recommended retail price and had just had another delivery which they are selling for the same price.

The first Bachmann 2-6-4Ts had an opening smoke box door but I don't think anyone opened it and now the door is lightly glued in place.

The station shop did ask Bachmann to produce a model of 80104 but Bachmann's minimum order was 500 which is more than the shop expected to sell. I am pleased that Bachmann decided to make it anyway although it has not got the Swanage shed code.

Picture shows 80104 with smoke box door open yesterday at Swanage turntable.

attachicon.gif015.JPG

I cannot remember the 4MT tank having an opening door per-se but in general the tubes on the Bachmann BR standards was right up against the smokebox face! A feature hardly worth having. 

• RMweb Gold

I cannot remember the 4MT tank having an opening door per-se but in general the tubes on the Bachmann BR standards was right up against the smokebox face! A feature hardly worth having.

My 3MT, 4MT, M7 and Jubilees have opening smokebox doors.

On diesels 31, 37 and 50 have opening cab doors. The class 50 has posable grills too.

Many steam loco models have movable cab roof ventilators

Edited by adb968008

Yesterday I wanted to order one of the 2 remaining Dapol‘s class 68 in Dcotrsil livery from Hattons. I need this DCC fitted because I am unable to do this by myself. But the DCC fitting options were not available for this loco. So I conzacted Hattons for DCC fitting. Today I got an answer from a stuff member that the DCC fitting service is suspended due to focussing on sale. I should buy the loco and when the service is back than I can send my loco to Hattons for the DCC fitting. I answered that this would cost me a lot because I had to pay the expensive shipping costs from Germany and then back to me.

Sorry to say this, but this is not my understanding of an excellent customer service.

This time they have not just missed the chance to sale a loco. I had already 5 of the new new MK2F from Hornby in my cart for pre-order. Now I buy the loco and the coaches anywhere else. That’s focussing on sale? Surely not but that‘s my consequence.

• Like 1