Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Bought  a  couple  more  Heljan  Metropolitans  on  Friday 1-30PM  delivered  by  YODEL!  at 10.00 Saturday

My previous  Metropolitans  were  around  £109,  so  at  £64  for  these  each  I know  it  makes  sense

• Like 4

Bought  a  couple  more  Heljan  Metropolitans  on  Friday 1-30PM  delivered  by  YODEL!  at 10.00 Saturday

My previous  Metropolitans  were  around  £109,  so  at  £64  for  these  each  I know  it  makes  sense

That was efficient work by Hattons and Yodel ! In contrast I placed an order at 1300 on Wednesday but no sign of it yet.

• RMweb Gold

That was efficient work by Hattons and Yodel ! In contrast I placed an order at 1300 on Wednesday but no sign of it yet.

Morning caradoc,

Apologies for the delay on your order.

We're calling back hundreds of items from our secondary warehouse every day and we're working to get these despatched as soon as we possibly can.

If you'd like me to look in to your order then please feel free to email in and I'll see where this is up to.

Cheers,

Dave

Morning caradoc,

Apologies for the delay on your order.

We're calling back hundreds of items from our secondary warehouse every day and we're working to get these despatched as soon as we possibly can.

If you'd like me to look in to your order then please feel free to email in and I'll see where this is up to.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the update Dave, the personal service is appreciated. Just had an e-mail saying my order has been packed, so it depends now on how long Yodel take (wife ordered an item from Argos with guaranteed delivery yesterday [by Yodel] which is still to arrive !

Cheers.

post-24481-0-80916900-1541516972_thumb.jpgMy two loco's from Hattons ' sale of the century ' arrived on Saturday.

My guess is that the 700 Black Motor was overproduced, and the ROD 2 8 0 wasn't 

the first choice of those wanting a Western Region heavy freight loco.

Never the less two loco's for less than a full retail ROD, with plenty of change left over

is not to be sniffed at !.

I must thank Hattons for the polite, efficient and prompt service I received.

• Like 10

I have a feeling that some of these will be like the dirt cheap Hornby Dublo that Hattons sold in the 1960s which are now worth a small fortune.8 My problem is how do you tell which items? ;)

Unfortunately both Hornby, Bachmann and others would have to go bust first. Can you imagine what a Hornby Clan

would fetch in that senario !. I do remember Hatton's knocking out HD green Mk 1's cheap, and I think the 

sleeping cars were the last to go if I recall correctly.

I hope all the present day manufacturers will thrive into the future, and i am sure they will look more closely at

the size of future production runs, and more closely at models that might be slow sellers.

• Like 1

Delivering by Royal Mail was not an option for my order although I like being able to walk to the sorting office to collect my order if I am out. DPD is now very good in Swanage, where I live, and Rich the delivery man is a well known character and you can see where his van is online.

I have, at last succumbed to buying a Midland Pullman. I have always liked it since Tri-ang brought out their model in the 1960s but I cannot find any evidence of it running on the Swanage Railway that I am modelling so I decided not to buy one and not to buy the Bachmann and Graham Farish versions for the same reason. I regretted the decision as the price continued to rise. Now the Graham Farish version is available at a reduced price I bought one although at £330 it is very expensive for a model that I cannot justify using at an exhibition.

In British Railways days there was a poster of the Midland Pullman on Corfe Castle waiting shelter so perhaps I can put the poster on my model shelter and have the train running through the station.

My two loco's from Hattons ' sale of the century ' arrived on Saturday.

Never the less two loco's for less than a full retail ROD, with plenty of change left over

I have bought the same ROD for my club as part of the sale, seems a really good model. I suppose that also most wanting an ROD would be wanting a GCR version. I've been tempted to get the pristine version for myself for some time but can't quite justify it as I don't think that any of the GWR versions were ever close to being preserved. These two models were already a bargain before this sale and yet they still can't be shifted!

attachicon.gifP1230245.JPGMy two loco's from Hattons ' sale of the century ' arrived on Saturday.

Thanks for posting - I hadn't noticed the ROD and even though I don't need one I love filthy locos! At that price just can't say no..........

Thank God there’s not much in this sale, otherwise I’d be bankrupt. So good, I’m tempted to model Oxford or Banbury so that I can have all the regions represented.edit, for some reason I can’t get my smileys to show when I post, so take your pick of them

Edited by 88D
  • Like 2

Thank God there’s not much in this sale, otherwise I’d be bankrupt. So good, I’m tempted to model Oxford or Banbury so that I can have all the regions represented.edit, for some reason I can’t get my smileys to show when I post, so take your pick of them

Maybe not for you. But there are sooooooo many things here to tempt me.

Took delivery of the 73 and 58 today. The Heljan is a weighty and solid as ever Heljan can be. The blue 73 is not as bad as photos suggest but still wrong compared with BR blue locos I have but I'm very happy for the price.

• RMweb Premium

Why do I need 2 LMS Horseboxes in BR Crimson? (Less than half the price of two Baccy MK1 SR Green HBs :mail: and about £4 less than just one of these even if they are very good looking models )

Anything for a laugh.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

I have, at last succumbed to buying a Midland Pullman. ........ Now the Graham Farish version is available at a reduced price I bought one although at £330 it is very expensive for a model that I cannot justify using at an exhibition.  ............

Paint it SR multiple-unit green and pretend it's an experimental version of a Hastings Unit !

:onthequiet:

attachicon.gifP1230245.JPGMy two loco's from Hattons ' sale of the century ' arrived on Saturday.

In real terms I think that the recommended retail price of the Hornby 700 of £124.99 was higher than the Hornby Dublo Barnstaple which was the top of the range and cost £5.15 shillings when it came out in 1961. Hornby probably charged a high price for the 700 so Hornby could recoup their investment without selling all their locomotives. It was not overpriced for people who needed a 700 to operate a model goods service because the alternative would be to buy a kit built one at much the same price.

At £124.99 I think it would put off people buying one just because they liked it. Now the price has gone down to £59 these people might buy one and people who have already got one may buy another possibly as a spare Southern goods loco in case their 700 breaks down.

Even at £59 the 700 seems expensive compared with £1.16 shillings for a Hornby Dublo R1 which you can still get for about £35.

Edited by Robin Brasher

Even at £59 the 700 seems expensive compared with £1.16 shillings for a Hornby Dublo R1 which you can still get for about £35.

The R1 is a simple virtually one piece moulding - the chimney cap is the only added item - compare that with the amount of added parts on a 700 and figure out the costs of all those parts and the labour costs involved in fitting them in place.

• Like 1

Well I just purchased a Met Bo Bo, but ended up augmenting my spend through other 'bargains'. If its stock-shifting Hattons are after, this is an effective bit of psycology. I've just added up what I spent, vs what I would have spent under the pre-sale 'bargain' prices, and only saved around £25. But this 'sale' tipped me into spending (despite the Bo Bo only being about £5 cheaper).

I grabbed some Bachmann 5 Planks - I missed them a few years back at £5 and wasn't going to make the same mistake at £7! I doubt this price will ever be seen again.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

In real terms I think that the recommended retail price of the Hornby 700 of £124.99 was higher than the Hornby Dublo Barnstaple which was the top of the range and cost £5.15 shillings when it came out in 1961. Hornby probably charged a high price for the 700 so Hornby could recoup their investment without selling all their locomotives. It was not overpriced for people who needed a 700 to operate a model goods service because the alternative would be to buy a kit built one at much the same price.

At £124.99 I think it would put off people buying one just because they liked it. Now the price has gone down to £59 these people might buy one and people who have already got one may buy another possibly as a spare Southern goods loco in case their 700 breaks down.

Different eras though.

I could easily spend £125 on a night out.

Would a bloke in the 1960s spend £5 15s down the boozer and having a meal? Extremely doubtful.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

P1230245.JPGMy two loco's from Hattons ' sale of the century ' arrived on Saturday.

Abso-blooming-exactly! Two GWR spec RODs purchased and dismantled within a day of arriving :D heart donors for the Garratt project.

Amazingly I bunged the bodies on eBay and one has sold already.

• Like 1

Looking at it another way Robin, in the early 60's a new H/D large loco rtr would cost somewhere between 1/3 & 1/2 the average weekly wage. With todays at about £530, it don't seem that bad. :sungum: I'm tempted by another wonderful 'Duck-8', but I think 7 is enough!!??

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

I could easily spend £125 on a night out.

Goodness me! That sounds like quite some night out!

I could quite easily save £125 by staying in!  ;)

Of course my Hattons package turned up today when we were out, visiting the local MIU, to make sure that I hadn't broken anything when I inadvertantly tried to clamp my left hand to the wall, whilst putting some shelves up. Unfortunately the neighbours were also out, so it's a trip to the sorting office tomorrow.