Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn’t worry. Rees-Mogg is working on it. :jester:

And Jacob has many arrows to his quiver....was it six and still counting?. The name would suit a Hornby B1 ...there were several with long ( winded ) names.

If your funds are limited and you are fairly interested in a sales item it is best to buy it if there are less than 10 in stock and the number is going down. If there are more than 10 in stock you can probably wait until your next pay cheque comes in or wait until 1 January and see if the price goes down further if there is a January sale.

Or just maybe transfer remainders to associates in the Hattons “ consortium “ ?

In the train packs the Hornby R3401 Bristolian train pack is only £2 more expensive than the Bachmann R3398 Lyme Regis train pack but neither seem to be attracting many customers.

Possibly worth pointing out that the Bristolian was available from another retailer recently for £50 less than Hattons are currently selling it for.

Jason

After much deliberation (well not too much actually as I have always been a sucker for a bargain) I have decided to purchase (invest?) in a number of the Bachmann Mk1 coaches in various liveries.

Still waiting for these to arrive & eager to see them on my layout typically running behind a class 47 as I have plans for a charter train.....

• Like 1

After much deliberation (well not too much actually as I have always been a sucker for a bargain) I have decided to purchase (invest?) in a number of the Bachmann Mk1 coaches in various liveries.

Still waiting for these to arrive & eager to see them on my layout typically running behind a class 47 as I have plans for a charter train.....

You may need to invest in some West Coast Mainline transfers. A charter train is a great way of running some steam and classic diesel trains on a modern image layout.

Possibly worth pointing out that the Bristolian was available from another retailer recently for £50 less than Hattons are currently selling it for.

Jason

This may partly explain why it is a slow seller at Hattons. I don't think that Hornby marketed this set very well. On page 8 of its 2016 catalogue Hornby described the set as the GWR Riviera Mainline Express - Limited Edition. It was not clear whether the coaches were new Collett coaches or the Railroad version. I don't think that people are rushing out to buy limited editions any more. On page 46 of its 2017 catalogue Hornby said that the operating era for this GWR set was post privatisation and the operating area was across the rail network. I think the set represents excellent value for money as it has only been made for one year it may be early to offer it at a discount. Perhaps the sets take up a lot of space. I will not be buying the set as I am satisfied with my tender drive King and I have already bought a rake of GWR Collett coaches and there may be others in the same situation.

Edited by Robin Brasher

A number of items acquired , many thanks for the quick delivery from Hattons . Lots still tempting me , loco's though I have no need for but call out all the same

Adams radial train pack most tempting but engine plus two Bachmann coaches can be picked up for less than the pack price . Interesting Hornby variant of the radial is being sold for less than the Oxford one

• Like 1

I'd like to thank Hatton's....received my parcel in the UAE in just over two weeks. Got myself a Murphy Models Class 201. Hatton's packaging is exceptional and I love the models. Murphy Models have done an amazing job and it's now one of my prized models. They do need to improve packaging as the paint has worn off in many places.

• Like 2

I am pleased to see that people have been buying items from the sale, The prototype of 32-350A standard class 4MT 2-6-4T 80104 is running on the Swanage Railway. The model depicts it as it was last running on British Railways and not as preserved but the difference is barely noticeable.

I find it strange that Hattons is unable to clear this item at £99 whereas the Swanage Railway shop has sold all the 50 models that it received at the recommended retail price of £134.95 and has ordered another batch.

I have also noticed that the recommended retail price is to the last penny whereas Hattons sale prices are to the nearest £. This must save a lot of time in pricing Hattons stock.

post-17621-0-14753300-1542477264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 1

Hi chums,

Just placed a small order, but I thought I'd make an observation - is it me or is there a paucity of GWR chocolate and cream coaching stock (regardless of being in the sale or not) other than Colletts?

Cheers,

Philip

Hi chums,

Just placed a small order, but I thought I'd make an observation - is it me or is there a paucity of GWR chocolate and cream coaching stock (regardless of being in the sale or not) other than Colletts?

Cheers,

Philip

Dear all,

I don't think that there are many GWR chocolate and cream coaches around apart from the Railroad Colletts. The others seem to sell well without big discounts.

Robin